The Metadata Standards Catalog (MSC) Working Group will produce a machine-actionable catalog of metadata standards submitted by all RDA WGs. The catalog system will have an end-user input form and an API for submission from other software. Similarly it will have a user interface for query/reporting and an API for software to query and retrieve suitable standards information. The MSC is a fundamental tool in any autonomic e-research fabric.
This work builds on the outputs of the Metadata Standards Directory Working Group: both the Metadata Standards Directory (MSD) itself and the set of attendant use cases.
Further details about the progress of the work are available on the MSCWG Wiki.
Metadata Principles and their Use
The RDA metadata groups have developed and endorsed a set of five principles for metadata that they believe the wider RDA should adopt and promote.
A prototype Metadata Standards Catalog is under development. You can track progress by visiting the GitHub repository.
The Catalog will be seeded with records migrated from the Metadata Standards Directory. If you would like to help check, clean and expand the migrated records before they are loaded into the Catalog, you can find them in the 'db' folder on GitHub.
Alternatively, to get new records visible prior to the launch of the Catalog, you can continue to add standards, profiles, tools and known users of standards to the Metadata Standards Directory.
RDA Plenary 10 Montréal
Our main meeting will be during Breakout 2: Tuesday, September 19, 14:00 - 15:30. This is a joint meeting between IG Metadata, WG Metadata Standards Catalog, IG Data in Context, and IG Research Data Provenance.
The Metadata groups have proposed a list of metadata elements required for interoperation of data. The list was discussed and the unpacking process was started at the P9 meeting in Barcelona. The objectives of this session include:
- Demo the Metadata Standards Catalog
- Present the feedback of ‘unpacking’ the complex structure of the list elements
- Continuation of the validation of the list of metadata elements by domain groups and technical groups
- Compare element set with existing metadata standards especially in the catalog of MSCWG
- Welcome and review objectives of the meeting (5 min)
- Demo Metadata Standards Catalog (15 min)
- W3C Data Exchange Working Group’s effort to improve metadata standards for data interoperation (10 min)
- Provenance IG projects (10 min)
- Metadata Elements Set (40 min)
- Feedback on each of the elements in the Metadata Element Set
- Comparison with existing metadata standards
- Next Steps (10 min)
You may also be interested in these other metadata-related sessions
Tuesday 19 September 2017
- Breakout 3 - 16:00
- WG RDA/TD Metadata Standards for the attribution of physical and digital collections stewardship: Developing user roles and data models
- Joint meeting: WG BioSharing Registry: connecting data policies, standards & databases in life sciences, IG ELIXIR Bridging Force
Wednesday 20 September 2017
- Breakout 4 - 11:00
- BoF Data Citation Metadata Elements