Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

Meeting Notes: 10 May Webconference

• Creator
    Discussion

Hi all,
    Here are my notes from Tuesday’s discussion. Please correct/augment as necessary.
    We discussed and decided on a number of issues stemming from Frederik’s first round of feedback on the API (https://github.com/RDACollectionsWG/apidocs/issues/1)
    PID Assignment: an implementation of the API should:

include a default provider for assigning PIDs which implements the PIT API
    allow for a client to supply an endpoint for an alternate PIT API provider as a parameter to the CREATE request for a Collection
    declare in a capabilities call to clients what the default provider is and what providers can or cannot be used (i.e. a whitelist/blacklist)

Capabilities

current operations to get the list of supported access types and model types should be assumed under aforementioned capabilities operation
    additional capabilities to declare include the max limit on # of collection items which can be operated on in a single request (i.e. CREATE, UPDATE, DELETE)

Cursors: 

POSTs of new Collections should return a single item, not a Cursor
    Requests which return a set should return a cursor

Transactional and error handling questions on adding multiple items at once to a collection

we will restrict scope to support only synchronous requests
    POSTS which operate on multiple items where not all succeeded should return a FAILED status and provide some way for the client to know which failed and which succeede

Responsibility for dealing with recursiveness (collections of collections) is pushed to the client ? [ my notes on this point are fuzzy ]
    Other items: Tobias will apply for a session at P8
    Please chime in with whatever I missed.
    Thanks!
    Bridget

• Author
    Replies

Tobias had shared his notes with me, so I’ll add the one point that wasn’t covered by Bridget:
    Persistence and consistency:
    – dependent on the final model for persistency, there will probably be combinations of persistency attributes at different levels that are inconsistent
    – e.g. it might not make sense for a persistent collection to entail a non-persistent collection
    – rules and/or supporting metadata might be part of the Capabilities model
    Thanks to everyone in the meeting for a productive discussion, and Tobias and Bridget for taking notes!
    Frederik

Hello Bridget, Frederik,
    great, thanks for compiling the notes and sending them over the list!
    Best, Tobias
    ——– Original Message ——–
    *Subject: *Re: [rda-collection-wg] Meeting Notes: 10 May Webconference
    *To: *Bridget Almas , Research Data Collections
    WG