RDA WDS Scholarly Link Exchange (Scholix) WG
Co-chaired by: Adrian Burton, Martin Fenner, Paolo Manghi, Wouter Haak
This WG is the follow up from the: RDA/WDS Publishing Data Services WG
The Scholarly Link Exchange Working group aims to enable a comprehensive global view of the links between scholarly literature and data. The working group will leverage existing work and international initiatives to work towards a global information commons by establishing:
- Pathfinder services and enabling infrastructure
- An interoperability framework with guidelines and standards (see also www.scholix.org)
- A significant consensus
- Support for communities of practice and implementation
By the end of this 18 month WG period there will be:
- A critical mass of Scholix conformant hubs providing the enabling infrastructure for a global view of data-literature links
- Pathfinder services providing aggregations, query services, and analyses
- Beneficiaries of these services accessing data-literature link information to add value to scholarly journal sites, data centre portals, research impact services, research discovery services, research management software, etc.
- Operational workflows to populate the infrastructure with data-literature links
- Better understanding of current data-literature interlinking landscape viewed from the perspective of e.g. disciplines, publishers, repositories etc.
The working group follows on from the RDA/WDS Publishing Data Services WG, https://rd-alliance.org/groups/rdawds-publishing-data-services-wg.html. The original working group established demonstrator services enabling infrastructure. The follow on working group will support the “hardening” of that infrastructure and services as well as an increase in the number of participating hubs and services. The original working group established an interoperability framework. The follow on group will provide further specification, documentation and profiling of that framework to support adoption by link contributors and consumers. The original working group established a consensus among large infrastructure providers and early adopters; the follow up group will extend that consensus to the next stage of adopters and to a more diverse set of infrastructure providers. The original working group harnessed the energy and interest of specialists; the follow up group will provide support for a number of communities and services as they implement and adopt the framework and vision established in the original group.
This WG has been endorsed by the scientific committee of ICSU-WDS and is still under TAB review by RDA.
How to participate:
- First, create an account on the RDA website and subscribe to this working group.
- Then join the Working Group Forum:
- If you have a Google account, please log in and then click "Apply to Join the Group".
- If you do not have a Google account, click "New Topic" and you will be invited to create one.
- Members can start new topics in the forum by using the 'New Topic' button, or by sending an email to email@example.com.
Shared files are stored in the following folder: RDA-WDS Publishing Data Services
- This folder can viewed by anyone, but can only be accessed for editing by WG members via their Google account.
- Members can view or add comments to existing files in this folder and create new ones.
- Members can create new subfolders and organize files by using the 'Open in Drive' button at the top right
Working group is now focused on adoption and implementation, following the final recommendations