Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

RE: Relevant new white paper on standardizing rights statements

• Creator
    Discussion

RDA Admin

Enrique et al,
    Currently I am marinating in both the draft new white paper, open for comment, and an underlying, foundational document from 2011: “The Europeana Licensing Framework.” There is a lot to digest here.
    What would be the best way forward?
    One possibility: I can prepare a written analysis of these documents and with suggested ways they could inform our work, and post to our group’s wiki for others to review, and consider or not, or otherwise use as they see fit. This will not happen before this Friday’s call but maybe next week?
    Other possibilities? If the Co-chairs prefer another course of action, please advise. I am going to prepare my own analysis in any event, and no worries/offense if it is not helpful for RDA.
    Just want to be as helpful to the RDA Legal Interop group as possible! 🙂
    All best,
    Gail
    – Show quoted text -From: Enrique Alonso García [***@***.***-estado.es]
    Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:03 AM
    To: Gail Clement; puhlir; RDA/CODATA Legal Interoperability IG; ‘Bob Chen’ (***@***.***)
    Subject: RE: Relevant new white paper on standardizing rights statements
    thank you so much Gail !!!
    I had looked to Europeana developments when drafting the guideline in April because I had heard they werer working on this topic bt since I was not entirely sure, I did not continue to doublecheck. The Recs come just in time.
    I think we might need to revise the text of Principle 5 but I am in Ámsterdam working all day today and tomorrow I won´t be able to look at them either.
    Gail, if you did hve some time to look at them … should we tell the group to wait for a Draft 2 (or to confirm, or wait fro son refinements of, Draft 1) while we digest the Recs to see whether they really propose break-through ideas?
    Enviado el: martes, 09 de junio de 2015 19:14
    Para: puhlir; RDA/CODATA Legal Interoperability IG; Enrique Alonso García; ‘Bob Chen’ (***@***.***)
    Asunto: Relevant new white paper on standardizing rights statements internationally
    Hello RDA colleagues
    With regards to our discussion of rights metadata and rights statements language, there is a relevant new white paper out from the Digital Public Library of America and their European equivalent (Europeana) to “harmonize” rights statements concerning open digital cultural heritage resources on the web. This is not exactly the same context as research data but there are many parallels in standardizing rights statements to facilitate access and reuse by humans and machines.
    The document is currently a draft with comments actively being contributed. Even in this preliminary form it gives a good look at how this international community sees the possibilities for clarifying the rights status of online digital resources in the global environment.
    Here are the details:
    Europeana DPLA Technical Infrastructure White Paper:
    Recommendations for the Technical Infrastructure for Standardized
    International Rights Statements
    URL: http://eepurl.com/bnZUmD
    Apologies for duplication if you have already seen this work.
    Best regards, Gail
    El texto de este correo es confidencial y exclusivamente está dirigido a su destinatario. Si se ha enviado a una dirección errónea rogamos elimine el mismo y, en su caso, los documentos adjuntos, y nos lo comunique urgentemente. This message is intented only for the use of the addresse and contain confidential information. If you are not the intented recipient, dissemination of this documentation is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please, erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.
    Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico, piense bien si es necesario hacerlo: El medioambiente es cosa de todos.