Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

photography releases?

• Creator
    Discussion

Lynn Yarmey
    Participant

Hi all,
    It occurred to me that we should think about whether or not we need releases from anyone photographed at the meeting? I don’t believe the registration page included a waiver and we have talked about using photographs from the event in promotional materials, etc. I haven’t been asked to sign a release in the past and my face has shown up in other meeting photos, but there may have been a generic release statement somewhere?
    Thanks!
    Lynn
    —————-
    Lynn Yarmey
    Director of Community Development
    Research Data Alliance/US
    Have you registered for International Data Week?

• Author
    Replies

good question. I had that asked of me in other meetings. Bernard

Hi All,
    We flag a plenary speaker badges and ask them to sign a release because we are video recording…and (in this case) making the videos available via archived on-demand webcast. However, if you plan to use still photos in promotional/marketing materials, it’s best to obtain approval. One approach is to decide which photos you want to use and then obtain approval from those in the photos (post-conference). For relatively small conferences, this is not too difficult since most people are known to the organizers. If you feel this will not work, and we need a more broad approach, we could post an “opt-in/opt-out” on-line response form and distribute the URL to registered participants. This can be done pre- or post-conference. Please let me know if you have a preference.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    Matt Burdetsky
    Capital Meeting Planning, Inc.
    6521 Arlington Blvd., Suite 505
    Falls Church, VA 22042
    Office: 703-536-4993
    Email: ***@***.***
    GSA Schedule No. GS-07F-463AA (SIN 541-4D)
    – Show quoted text -From: yarmel=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of yarmey
    Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 9:23 PM
    To: International Data Week including P8
    Subject: [idw] photography releases?
    Hi all,
    It occurred to me that we should think about whether or not we need releases from anyone photographed at the meeting? I don’t believe the registration page included a waiver and we have talked about using photographs from the event in promotional materials, etc. I haven’t been asked to sign a release in the past and my face has shown up in other meeting photos, but there may have been a generic release statement somewhere?
    Thanks!
    Lynn
    —————-
    Lynn Yarmey
    Director of Community Development
    Research Data Alliance/US
    Have you registered for International Data Week?

Simon Hodson

I think we dropped this, but we should ask for photography release – on an explicit opt-out basis.
    S.
    – SciDataCon 2016
    – International Data Forum
    – Research Data Alliance Plenary
    CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE