Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

IEDA Meeting during IDW?

• Creator
    Discussion

Dear Kerstin:
    During the weekly telecon of the International Data Week Organizing Committee this morning, it transpired that IEDA was planning a side meeting in the middle of SciDataCon2016 in Denver, for a whole day.
    Can you tell me a bit more about this? In the absence of details, the OC did not feel positively about this. IDW is not like AGU (certainly not as large), and a side meeting of that magnitude is potentially a significant distraction from the overall event.
    If your are considering a short (1 hour) get-together to bring interested parties up-to-date on recent IEDA developments, this is one thing … but an all-day meeting does not sound like something the OC would feel comfortable with.
    I should be glad to talk to you about this (as I am sure you have plenty of time on your hands these days! —kidding!—)
    Best regards,
    Bernard=

• Author
    Replies

Hi Kerstin:
    This may be a misunderstanding. It was described to us as a side meeting of IDW participants.
    If instead, we are talking about an outside group that would not otherwise participate in IDW, then this is a different issue, namely one of competing for hotel space and resources. In that case, that group would be most welcome to register for IDW and attend the SciDataCon, IDF, and RDA meetings.
    If on the other hand, the IGSN meeting participants are drawn from the IDW attendance, then we need to make sure the program plans are coordinated and do not introduce conflicts.
    As you might imagine, a number of people have worked very hard for several months to come up with a coherent program, and in organizing the venue. Throwing a new independent meeting into the mix at the last minute would not be viewed as very helpful, and even be frowned upon.
    Perhaps Bob can provide more details? I can share them with the IDW Organizing Committee next week.
    Best-
    Bernard