Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

IDW Posters

• Creator
    Discussion

Hi Mark,
    We are putting two (2) posters on each side of a 4′ tall x 8′ wide board. Therefore, we have been recommending A0 size posters (841mm wide x 1189mm tall). This is the U.S. equivalent of 33.1″ wide x 46.8″ tall. Therefore, there’s (technically) room to go a bit wider, but not taller, if the poster presenter chooses.
    We haven’t had any interaction with the poster presenters, but I’m fairly sure that Mustapha and Simon have shared this information several times. I’m not sure, however, about RDA.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    Matt Burdetsky
    Capital Meeting Planning, Inc.
    6521 Arlington Blvd., Suite 505
    Falls Church, VA 22042
    Office: 703-536-4993
    Email: ***@***.***
    GSA Schedule No. GS-07F-463AA (SIN 541-4D)
    [Twitter Round Logo] [LinkedIn Logo] [facebook-logo-round]
    From: parsom3=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Mark Parsons
    Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 3:47 PM
    To: International Data Week including P8
    Subject: [idw] Fwd: SciDataCon 2016 Session
    Hi all,
    Karen raises an important point. I think we decided to go with portrait-style posters correct? We should send a targeted email to all poster presenters.
    cheers,
    -m.
    Begin forwarded message:
    Subject: Re: SciDataCon 2016 Session
    Date: September 7, 2016 at 13:41:14 MDT
    To: Mustapha Mokrane , Mark Parsons

Cc: Ruth Duerr , SciDataCon 2016 , “Stocks, Karen”
    Dear Mustapha,
    I’ve just had a poster presenter in this session ask about poster size. I can’t find this info anywhere on the SciDataCon website either. I see the poster template link below but nothing about the actual physical space they are allowed for their poster. Can you help?
    Thanks,
    -Karen
    ——————————————————————
    Karen Stocks, PhD
    Director, Geological Data Center
    Scripps Institution of Oceanography
    Mailing Address:
    UCSD MC 0220
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0220
    +1 858 534-1898
    Date: Thursday, June 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM
    To: Mark Parsons

Cc: Ruth Duerr , Karen Stocks , SciDataCon 2016
    Subject: SciDataCon 2016 Session
    Dear Mark,
    I am pleased to inform you that your proposed session for SciDataCon 2016 titled Defining Data Professionals has received 4 accepted papers (invited talks) and 9 accepted posters accompanied with a lightning talk.
    Titles of accepted papers and posters as well as contact details of the authors are provided below. Your session is allocated 1 slot of 90 minutes.
    If needed, please revise and send us the updated session description to reflect any changes in format, suggested speakers or panellists etc. Refer to this page for a reminder on session types.
    We kindly expect session organisers to contact authors and check the following:
    1. Request authors to submit by 10 July a camera-ready and if applicable a revised abstract taking into account reviewers feedback. Please make sure authors use the conference templates for paper and poster.
    2. Inform authors about your expectations, the session format, presentation length, etc.
    3. Confirm their participation at the conference and request that the presenting author register for the conference here: http://www.internationaldataweek.org
    4. Please inform us also of any withdrawn paper or poster.
    Accepted Papers (invited):
    1. abstract 353: Informatics as a key methodology for sustainable and repeatable data science and analytics. (Peter Fox, ***@***.***)
    2. abstract 223: It’s not just what you know, it’s what you know you know and what others know about it (Kevin Ashley, ***@***.***)
    3. abstract 128: What are data professionals taught? Toward a practical definition of data professionals. (Amy Nurnberger, ***@***.***)
    4. abstract 57: A Geospatial Industry Perspective on Becoming a Data Professional (Dawn J. Wright, ***@***.***)
    Accepted Lightning Talks + Posters:
    1. poster 53: Historic parallels between current data professionalization and 20th century information science (Matthew Mayernik, ***@***.***)
    2. poster 52: Data Science 101 – the importance of the basics (Hugh Shanahan, ***@***.***)
    3. poster 51: The Job Market for Data Professionals (Robert R Downs, ***@***.***)
    4. poster 50: Defining data professionals (Heidi McCann, ***@***.***)
    5. poster 49: Data Scientists – A New Breed of Sea Grant Extension Professionals (Mona Behl, ***@***.***)
    6. poster 33: Cultivating Data Expertise in Geoscience Research Centers (Cheryl A Thompson, ***@***.***)
    7. poster 32: IASSIST: Linking International Support for Digital Curation (Harrison Dekker, ***@***.***)
    8. poster 20: Defining Data Science Professions Family (Demchenko Yuri , ***@***.***)
    9. poster 17: Earth Science Data Analytics: Preparing for Extracting Knowledge from Information (Steven J Kempler, ***@***.***)
    Thanking you in advance for you help,
    Very best wishes.
    Mustapha
    Hi Mark,
    We are putting two (2) posters on each side of a 4′ tall x 8′ wide board. Therefore, we have been recommending A0 size posters (841mm wide x 1189mm tall). This is the U.S. equivalent of 33.1″ wide x 46.8″ tall. Therefore, there’s (technically) room to go a bit wider, but not taller, if the poster presenter chooses.
    We haven’t had any interaction with the poster presenters, but I’m fairly sure that Mustapha and Simon have shared this information several times. I’m not sure, however, about RDA.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    Matt Burdetsky
    Falls Church, VA 22042
    From: parsom3=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Mark Parsons
    Hi all,
    Karen raises an important point. I think we decided to go with portrait-style posters correct? We should send a targeted email to all poster presenters.
    cheers,
    -m.
    Begin forwarded message:

Dear Mustapha,
    I’ve just had a poster presenter in this session ask about poster size. I can’t find this info anywhere on the SciDataCon website either. I see the poster template link below but nothing about the actual physical space they are allowed for their poster. Can you help?
    Thanks,
    -Karen
    ——————————————————————
    Karen Stocks, PhD
    Mailing Address:
    UCSD MC 0220
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0220
    +1 858 534-1898

Dear Mark,
    I am pleased to inform you that your proposed session for SciDataCon 2016 titled Defining Data Professionals has received 4 accepted papers (invited talks) and 9 accepted posters accompanied with a lightning talk.
    Titles of accepted papers and posters as well as contact details of the authors are provided below. Your session is allocated 1 slot of 90 minutes.
    If needed, please revise and send us the updated session description to reflect any changes in format, suggested speakers or panellists etc. Refer to this page for a reminder on session types.
    1. Request authors to submit by 10 July a camera-ready and if applicable a revised abstract taking into account reviewers feedback. Please make sure authors use the conference templates for paper and poster.
    2. Inform authors about your expectations, the session format, presentation length, etc.
    3. Confirm their participation at the conference and request that the presenting author register for the conference here: http://www.internationaldataweek.org
    1. abstract 353: Informatics as a key methodology for sustainable and repeatable data science and analytics. (Peter Fox, ***@***.***)
    2. abstract 223: It’s not just what you know, it’s what you know you know and what others know about it (Kevin Ashley, ***@***.***)
    3. abstract 128: What are data professionals taught? Toward a practical definition of data professionals. (Amy Nurnberger, ***@***.***)
    4. abstract 57: A Geospatial Industry Perspective on Becoming a Data Professional (Dawn J. Wright, ***@***.***)
    1. poster 53: Historic parallels between current data professionalization and 20th century information science (Matthew Mayernik, ***@***.***)
    2. poster 52: Data Science 101 – the importance of the basics (Hugh Shanahan, ***@***.***)
    3. poster 51: The Job Market for Data Professionals (Robert R Downs, ***@***.***)
    5. poster 49: Data Scientists – A New Breed of Sea Grant Extension Professionals (Mona Behl, ***@***.***)
    6. poster 33: Cultivating Data Expertise in Geoscience Research Centers (Cheryl A Thompson, ***@***.***)
    7. poster 32: IASSIST: Linking International Support for Digital Curation (Harrison Dekker, ***@***.***)
    8. poster 20: Defining Data Science Professions Family (Demchenko Yuri , ***@***.***)
    9. poster 17: Earth Science Data Analytics: Preparing for Extracting Knowledge from Information (Steven J Kempler, ***@***.***)
    Very best wishes.
    Mustapha

>>> SciDataCon 2016: Advancing the Frontiers of Data in Research

• Author
    Replies

but the point is… the poster formatting should be “Portrait” not “Landscape” if you want to use you real estate most efficiently. Bernard

Technically, it’s square @ 48” x 48” maximum space per poster. ☺
    Matt Burdetsky
    Falls Church, VA 22042
    Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:00 PM
    To: Matt Burdetsky
    Cc: Jean-Bernard Minster ; Mark Parsons
    ; International Data Week including P8
    Subject: Re: [idw] IDW Posters
    but the point is… the poster formatting should be “Portrait” not “Landscape” if you want to use you real estate most efficiently. Bernard
    On Sep 7, 2016, at 12:53, cmpmatt wrote:
    Hi Mark,
    We are putting two (2) posters on each side of a 4’ tall x 8’ wide board. Therefore, we have been recommending A0 size posters (841mm wide x 1189mm tall). This is the U.S. equivalent of 33.1” wide x 46.8” tall. Therefore, there’s (technically) room to go a bit wider, but not taller, if the poster presenter chooses.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    Matt Burdetsky
    Falls Church, VA 22042

Hi all,
    cheers,
    -m.
    Begin forwarded message:

Dear Mustapha,
    Thanks,
    -Karen
    ——————————————————————
    Karen Stocks, PhD
    Mailing Address:
    UCSD MC 0220
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0220
    +1 858 534-1898

Dear Mark,
    Very best wishes.
    Mustapha
    Technically, it’s square @ 48” x 48” maximum space per poster. ☺
    Matt Burdetsky
    Falls Church, VA 22042
    Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2016 4:00 PM
    To: Matt Burdetsky
    Cc: Jean-Bernard Minster ; Mark Parsons
    ; International Data Week including P8
    Subject: Re: [idw] IDW Posters
    On Sep 7, 2016, at 12:53, cmpmatt wrote:
    Hi Mark,
    We are putting two (2) posters on each side of a 4’ tall x 8’ wide board. Therefore, we have been recommending A0 size posters (841mm wide x 1189mm tall). This is the U.S. equivalent of 33.1” wide x 46.8” tall. Therefore, there’s (technically) room to go a bit wider, but not taller, if the poster presenter chooses.
    Thank you,
    Matt
    Matt Burdetsky
    Falls Church, VA 22042

Hi all,
    cheers,
    -m.
    Begin forwarded message:

Dear Mustapha,
    Thanks,
    -Karen
    ——————————————————————
    Karen Stocks, PhD
    Mailing Address:
    UCSD MC 0220
    9500 Gilman Drive
    La Jolla, CA 92093-0220
    +1 858 534-1898

Dear Mark,
    Very best wishes.
    Mustapha

>>> SciDataCon 2016: Advancing the Frontiers of Data in Research <<<
    11–13 September 2016 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel, Denver, Colorado, USA
    REGISTRATION IS OPEN!! http://www.internationaldataweek.org
    [https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/icsu-wds.org/images/logo.gif%5D
    Mustapha Mokrane, PhD. | Executive Director
    World Data System-International Programme Office
    c/o NICT, 4-2-1 Nukui-kitamachi, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8795, Japan
    Tel: +81 4 2327 6004 Fax: +81 4 2327 6490 Mob:+81 90 5790 4732
    ***@***.***-wds.org | http://www.icsu-wds.org

Timea Biro

Just as a reference…
    On the RDA side, we have requested (both on the application/poster
    session page as well as in the communication going out to the
    applicants) that the posters would be designed in a vertical format with