Skip to main content

Notice

The new RDA web platform is still being rolled out. Existing RDA members PLEASE REACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT using this link: https://rda-login.wicketcloud.com/users/confirmation. Please report bugs, broken links and provide your feedback using the UserSnap tool on the bottom right corner of each page. Stay updated about the web site milestones at https://www.rd-alliance.org/rda-web-platform-upcoming-features-and-functionalities/.

Fwd: Action requested: IDW assessment

• Creator
    Discussion

Mark Parsons
    Participant

FYI. This is what I sent to my interviewees.
    cheers,
    -m.
    Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Action requested: IDW assessment
    Date: September 22, 2016 at 18:41:03 MDT
    To: Ross Wilkinson , Kay Raseroka , Josh Greenberg , ***@***.***, “Miller, William L. – CISE/ACI” , Robert Hanisch
    Dear colleagues,
    Thank you for your active participation in International Data Week.
    The hosts of the meeting (RDA, CODATA, WDS) are keenly interested in accurately and fairly assessing the value and impact of IDW. As such, we would very much like to get your opinions on the event. (I provide the overrching questions and goals we seek to address below.)
    We are compiling basic quantitative stats (twitter buzz, sponsor contributions, registration numbers, etc). We also have a participant survey underway. In this message, I would like to focus on the subjective, qualitative assessment of key stakeholders, i.e. your opinion.
    We have compiled some basic interview questions into a google questionnaire. I would request that you complete the questionnaire or alternatively arrange an interview around it. I think we would get much better and more nuanced information if you agreed for me to interview you.
    So…. please tell me if you would be willing to be interviewed, or, if not, if you can complete the questionnaire.
    cheers,
    -m.
    Background to the Questionnaire:
    Questions on the Success of IDW:
    Was the extra time, effort, and investment worth it for…
    participants?
    sponsors?
    organizers? (early response – considerable more time/effort required from the organizing team)
    Can we quantify any savings for organizers, sponsors and participants through collocated events?
    Did participants and others save money through attending multiple events at the same location?
    Did collocation attract greater attendance?
    Did collocation attract greater sponsorships?
    Should we do something like this again? If so, when, where, and how could it be improved?
    Goals for the Events:
    Goals and criteria of International Data Week
    Increase the cross-community awareness of data issues and the people working to address those issues
    Advance the discussion around these issues and make advances to addressing them.
    Demonstrate and increase or improve collaboration of major international data organisations (specifically the big 3 but others as well)
    Improve the the efficiency of international community engagement by consolidating events.
    Build a larger and more international, yet cohesive and interconnected, community of data professionals.
    Improved collaboration between the principals (WDS, CODATA, RDA)
    Goals and criteria of International Data Forum
    Engage diverse stakeholders, notably researchers and policy makers, in advancing the discussion of issues around “Data for the Public Good”
    Raise awareness of the hosting organisations and sponsors.
    Increase engagement in SciDataCon and P8. Encourage more all week participation.
    Goals and criteria of RDA Plenary 8
    Advance the work of the Working and Interest Groups
    Advance collaboration across the Groups
    Advance community relationships and the shared, open culture of RDA
    Inform the community of RDA outputs, activities, and operations.
    Goals and criteria of SciDataCon
    Advance ‘research data science’ as a field (comprising research and practice) and position SciDataCon as the scholarly conference for the field
    Improve the quality of scholarly papers at SciDataCon in comparison to previous editions of this and the CODATA conference
    Expand the community engaged with ‘research data science’ and broaden participation