PID Kernel Information P11 working meeting (Remote Access Instructions)
Collaborative session notes:
Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities
PID Kernel Information is a limited set of information (metadata) about a data object to which a PID refers. This associated information resides within the PID resolution system, that is, is separate from any domain specific metadata often residing at the repository where the data object resides. Through numerous discussions, the PID Kernel Information WG has converged on the underlying architectural principles for PID Kernel Information, building on the power of the combined RDA Recommendations on PID Information Types and Data Type Registries.
The group has most recently assembled a set of guiding principles that define the purpose of PID Kernel Information; what goes into a PID Kernel Information profile, what does not go into a profile, and why. The intent is that all proposed PID Kernel Information profiles must adhere to these principles. The guiding principles also shape the possible technical and organizational infrastructure needed to support PID Kernel Information and further facilitates development of tools for user interaction, filtering, decision-making and other actions.
The PID Kernel Information guiding principles are illustrated with proposed example profiles that have stemmed from practical use. Together, the guiding principles and example profiles form the first set of recommendations on PID Kernel Information. The example profiles need assessment, which is future work of RDA. The needed organizational and technical infrastructure is also future work of RDA.
Additional links to informative material related to the group
Group home page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/pid-kernel-information-wg
Guiding principles: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/pid-kernel-information-wg/wiki/pid-ker...
- Feedback on draft RDA Recommendation for the PID Kernel Information WG, which consists of guiding principles, profile examples under discussion, and future work
- Seek further adoption (groups willing to test profiles and provide feedback)
- Seek collaboration with other organizations such as ISO
- Gather feedback from other RDA groups and inform activities in this area, e.g., data fabric, type registries, RDA-AGU adoption initiative, disciplinary collaboration framework (DCF)
- Introduction to PID Kernel Information, presentation of guiding principles and examples (15 min.)
- Use cases and adoption perspectives
- RPID project (10 min. - Beth Plale/Robert Quick)
- ENES/EUDAT adoption (10 min. - Tobias Weigel)
- DOI perspective (10 min. - tbd)
- Q&A on all draft RDA Recommendation for PID Kernel Information WG contents (15 min.)
- Discussion and decision on how to proceed (30 min.)
The topic at hand is of interest to a variety of stakeholders in the areas of data generation, curation and usage. The group’s outputs can be of use to scientific infrastructure providers, client tool builders and scientific users. We particularly encourage feedback from practitioners on the contents of our recommendations.
Group chair serving as contact person: Tobias Weigel
Type of meeting: Working meeting
Group maturity: 6-12 months
Remote Access Instructions:
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
Access Code: 379-515-829
Australia: +61 2 9091 7603
Austria: +43 7 2081 5337
Belgium: +32 28 93 7002
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9373
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69
Finland: +358 923 17 0556
France: +33 170 950 590
Germany: +49 692 5736 7300
Ireland: +353 15 360 756
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80
Netherlands: +31 207 941 375
New Zealand: +64 9 913 2226
Norway: +47 21 93 37 37
Spain: +34 932 75 1230
Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5011
United States: +1 (669) 224-3319
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check