IMBBC / HCMR Heraklion Crete, Greece, 15 -16 June 2017
All data enthusiasts: data scientists and practitioners, students, researchers, representatives from both private and public sector, that work to improve the aquaculture, fisheries, marine and environmental management, or develop ICT solutions for environmental and socio economics were invited to join the datathon co-organised by the RDA-Europe and BlueBRIDGE from June 15 to 16, 2017, in Heraklion, Crete, Greece.
The event was kindly hosted by the Institute of Marine Biology, Biotechnology and Aquaculture of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (IMBBC/HCMR).
During the 2-day datathon the participants brainstormed on the following challenges:
- Developing a holistic approach to spatial planning for marine protected areas based on knowledge transfer and integration
- Assessing new fisheries and aquaculture activities and mainstreaming environmental and socioeconomic indicators
- Incorporating socio-economic and environmental data in aquaculture assessment, strategic planning and performance analysis
The challenge was to fuel new thinking in the holistic analysis of satellite, environmental, biological and socio economic data and the interactions between fisheries, aquaculture and the marine spatial planning. Copernicus, EMODnet, BlueBRIDGE, FAO, Eurostat, Natura2000 were among the relevant datasets that were made available.
The expected outcome included a vision to cope with a wide range of topics in the planning processes that include EU data services and follow EU Directives:
How to fit aquaculture sites in the local natural and human seascapes?
What are the common data needs for aquaculture and marine spatial planning?
What are the perceived data gaps, and how can these be filled?
How to factor in future impacts such as climate change and nutrient pollution?
The event was of particular interest for students, master students, PhD students, post docs, early career researchers, SMEs, scientists and experts from start-ups.
See the Datathon datasets, presentations and the working teams' slides on the dedicated VRE.
The datathon prizes:
- First prize: 2 days visit to the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR) in Heraklion Crete with an interesting tour to all premises and infrastructures
- Second prize: 2 days visit to the Department of Fisheries and Aquaculture of the Technological Educational Institute of Messolongi – Greece and visit to an aquaculture farm on the Messolonghi lagoon.
- Third prize: 2 days visit to Kavala - Thasos and to INALE institute.
Financial support was available to facilitate participation to the Datathon.
The deadline for the requests was the 25th of May 2017 midnight CEST. The organisers covered the accommodation costs (2 nights - 14 and 15 June 2017) in a four star hotel in Heraklion city center. Requests were evaluated by the organising committee on the basis of the applicant's CV, interests and current activities.
09:00 - 09:30: Registration
09:30 - 10:00: Welcome & Opening Session
- Yannis Ioannidis, President and Gen. Director, Athena RIC, and Professor of Informatics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Antonios Magoulas, Director, HCMR/IMBBC Presentation Download
- Nektarios Tavernarakis, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Professor at the Medical School of the University of Crete, FORTH
- Eleni Hatziyanni, Director of Environment & Spatial Planning, Region of Crete Presentation Download
- Yannis Anastasakis, Vice-Mayor, Heraklion Municipality
10:00 - 11:00: Introducing the datathon context and challenges
- The Research Data Alliance - Fotis Karayannis, ATHENA Research Center, RDA Secretariat and RDA Europe - Presentation Download
- The BlueBRIDGE project - Pasquale Pagano, National Research Council of Italy, CNR-ISTI and BlueBRIDGE Technical Director - Presentation Download
- Science the hell out if - Konstantinos Stergiou, HCMR IMBRIW - Presentation Download
11:00 - 11:30: Coffee break
11:30 - 13:30: Datathon datasets & tools
- EMODnet Seabed Habitats - Helen Lillis, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Presentation Download
- RDA Geospatial Interest Group - Marco Minghini, Polimi - Presentation Download
- Socio-economic datasets and models - Stella Tsani, Achilleas Vassilopoulos, ICRE8 - Presentation Download
- New dimensions in Fisheries and Aquaculture from the MicroCT and the R Virtual Labs - Christos Arvanitidis, HCMR & LifeWatchGreece RI - Presentation Download
- Spectral imaging of coastal environments - Grigorios Tsagkatakis, PHYSIS Project - Presentation Download
- BlueBRIDGE objectives and tools & RDA Fisheries Data Interoperability Working Group, Anton Ellenbroek, FAO of UN - Presentation Download
13:30 - 14:30: Networking Lunch
14:30 - 18:00: Datathon kick-off
- Brief overview of the datathon datasets, tools and services - Panagiota Koltsida & Dimitris Gavrilis, ATHENA Research Center Presentation Download
- Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented
Evening - Social dinner at the “Εν πλω” - “En plo” Restaurant, kindly offered by the organisers.
Room: Seminar Room
09:00 - 11:00: Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented
11:00 - 11:30: Coffee break
11:30 - 13:00: Brainstorming and practical sessions where participants can use the datasets, the methods and technologies presented
13:00 - 14:00: Networking Lunch
14:00 - 15:00: Presentations from the working teams
15:00 - 15:30: Coffee break
15:30 - 16:00: Datathon award ceremony
16:00 - 16:30: Wrap up and conclusions