RDA Data Share Program Holds Orientation Workshop at Indiana University
Last week, RDA/US held its Fellow Orientation Workshop at Indiana University for its Data Share program. The scholars program, formed earlier this year through grant funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, was designed to encourage adoption of RDA’s best practices for data sharing by early career professionals and enhance their engagement with the alliance.
This small cohort, comprised of eight individuals, began their term on June 1, 2015, with the duration of the fellowship ranging between twelve and eighteen months. Their work includes collaborating with RDA’s working and interest groups to accomplish specific projects pertaining to various data sharing topics. They will also receive stipends and travel support to attend RDA’s bi-annual plenaries.
During this Workshop, this group engaged in activities that allowed them to learn more about the accomplishments of the RDA and further understand the importance and potential of their new roles as RDA Fellows. The two-day session included a combination of presentations from several RDA leaders, team building exercises and breakout sessions. The Fellows also spoke individually about their specific projects.
Some projects include:
- Investigation of issues related to privacy, data sharing and data integration in crowdsourcing projects
- Examination of the perceived value of the certification of repositories
- Identification of datasets through use of metadata
- Corporate and social models for sustainability
- Identification of standards for provenance of metadata
- Collection of data service models and organizational cultures relevant applied within research libraries
RDA Data Share is piloted by Indiana University (IU) School of Informatics and Computing professor Beth Plale and Inna Kouper, assistant director of IU’s Data to Insight Center. Kouper and Kathy Fontaine, the managing director of RDA/U.S., serve as co-principal investigators.
For more information on RDA Data Share, please visit rda-dsf.weebly.com/.