Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG
Collaborative session notes:
Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities
Research data are managed in variety of ICT systems or services and with variety of different technology or system architectures and these architectures have to be interoperable with each other. Within research data community, there is number of different projects for research data infrastructures. With these architectures and projects research.
Main themes of this new group are:
- tools like systems, technologies and architectures used as a part of the services and solutions in research institutions
- interoperability between institutional research data infrastructures and international or discipline based infrastructures
- different institutional approaches to governance structures and business processes to respond to ICT demands for research (e.g. capacity planning/forecasting for storage)
- case studies of solutions in the research data infrastructure projects in research institutions like universities
- presentations of technical innovations and ideas in the area of research data infrastructures
- best practises of the research data architectures in research institutions
This group is also for discussion about nuts and bolts of the research data infrastructures used in the local research infrastructures.
This is a continuation of the BoF session held at the previous plenary at Montréal (https://www.rd-alliance.org/systems-technologies-and-data-flows-research...) and the charter for the IG is under the process.
Additional links to informative material related to the group
IG Charter: https://rd-alliance.org/group/research-data-architectures-research-insti...
- Discussion of the idea and main themes of the group
- Sharing best practises of architectures in the research data infrastructures via case studies of some projects
- Start IG activities*; presentation, discussion and finalization of the group charter
- Identification of additional partners
*) This is the first meeting of the IG and the charter of the group is under the evaluation
1. Brief introduction to the group
2. Case statements of projects, architectures or infrastructures
- Interoperability between research data infrastructure of the University Helsinki and national / international research data infrastructures
- Case UCL, James Wilson
3. Discussion about current technology trends and future directions
4. IG activities; situation with the IG charter
5. Next steps
The target audience of this meeting may include all those people who are involved research data infrastructure projects or services as well as users who are interested in the topic of systems, technologies and data flows as a part of the research data infrastructures. For example research data infrastructure project owners or product owners, project managers, IT architects, data engineers, data managers, data scientists, developers and service users who are interested in technology issues are typical target audience of this meeting.
Group chair serving as contact person: Ville Tenhunen
Type of meeting: Working meeting