From Observational Data to Information Interest Group (OD2I IG) Kick-Off Meeting (Remote Access Instructions)
Collaborative session notes:
Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities
Following the Denver (P8), Barcelona (P9), and Montreal (P10) BoF meetings and assuming formal RDA recognition and endorsement, this meeting will officially kick-off the Interest Group “From Observational Data to Information” (OD2I IG). Broadly speaking, this IG aims to advance shared understanding of the relationship between data and information, primarily in the context of environmental research infrastructures for observational data and information about observed environments. Key issues are the distinction between data and information, in particular observations and derived information about environmental phenomena not observed directly, as well as the processes that evolve observational data into information, i.e. how observational data evolve to information along value chains involving data interpretation processes. Our aim is to provide a platform for discussing and advancing this subject matter. Following the submission of its Charter, this meeting will officially kick-start the work of this IG.
Additional links to informative material related to the group
* Charter, available at https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/observational-data-information/case-st...
* Floridi (2011): The Philosophy of Information. Oxford University Press.
* Floridi (2010): Information—A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press.
* Zins (2007): Conceptual Approaches for Defining Data, Information, and Knowledge. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20508
* Aamodt and Nygård (1995): Different roles and mutual dependencies of data, information, and knowledge—An AI perspective on their integration. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-023X(95)00017-M
The meeting will kick-off the newly formed Interest Group and plan its work over the first 12 months..
- Introduction, status and overview (Stocker)
- Roundtable introductions (time permitted)
- What is OD2I IG, our focus and activities
- Status update since Montreal
- Overview of the Charter and TAB Review
- Note on IDW session “From Data to Knowledge: A Policy Perspective" (Uhlir)
- Update on use cases
- Precision Agriculture and Intelligent Transportation Systems (Stocker)
- Biodiversity, an update (Hardisty)
- Drones, their data in the context of agriculture (Barbieri)
- Discuss selected issues and issues raised by the audience
- Work plan for the next 12 months
- Next steps and conclusions
The Communities of Practice working on/with observational data.
Co-chairs: Markus Stocker, Ari Asmi, Stefano Nativi, Jay Pearlman
Type of meeting: Working meeting
Group maturity: 0-6 months
Remote Access Instructions:
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
Access Code: 954-242-053
Australia: +61 2 8355 1050
Austria: +43 7 2081 5427
Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353
Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
Finland: +358 923 17 0568
France: +33 170 950 594
Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
Ireland: +353 15 360 728
Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 42
Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
Spain: +34 932 75 2004
Sweden: +46 853 527 836
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
United Kingdom: +44 20 3713 5028
United States: +1 (786) 535-3219
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check