IG Federated Identity Management - RDA 11th Plenary meeting

Meeting title

Interest Group Session on Federated Identity Management for Research (FIM4R)

Collaborative session notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RS9YTbqo8GbLYX7b1oTi5-Clds6MRRKlXzIZ...

Short introduction describing the scope of the group and if any previous activities

FIM4R is a forum for communities to share challenges and ideas and to shape the future of Federated Identity Management for different research communities. The FIM4R community was established prior to the birth of the Research Data Alliance.

Members from FIM4R agreed with the RDA ideal of a bottom-up approach (where data practitioners and communities are the major driving forces) and proposed the RDA FIM Interest Group. During the plenary session in Montreal, we discussed the coordination between the RDA FIM-IG and the FIM4R forum (https://www.rd-alliance.org/ig-federated-identity-management-rda-10th-pl...): we are hoping to connect with research communities within the RDA aiming to leverage identity federation. 

The aim of the FIM IG is to become a central point within the RDA for the discussion and consensus finding around the Authentication and Authorization issues. We would like to discuss with other RDA Working Groups and/or Interest Groups dealing with the same issues.

Additional links to informative material related to the group

- The output from the 10th plenary: https://www.rd-alliance.org/ig-federated-identity-management-rda-10th-pl...

- More details on FIM4R can be found on https://fim4r.org

-The original FIM4R whitepaper that serves as the Use Case description for this interest group is available at https://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1442597

- The RDA group page: please note that due to an issue on the RDA web site, the "historical" page of the group (https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/federated-identity-management.html) is no longer available. The web site technical staff cannot solve the problem. An archived version of this page is available at : https://web.archive.org/web/20170714154852/https://www.rd-alliance.org/g...

- I copied the information of the "historical" page (cf. previous item) at the temporary page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/federated-identity-management-ig

Meeting objectives

Starting from all the inputs gathered during the previous RDA plenaries, the FIM4R forum is producing a white-paper for streamlining and enumerating the requirements. During this planned meeting, the RDA FIM IG will update the requirements identified for including the latest inputs from the communities involved in RDA.

The whitepaper will be discussed in RDA for approval. The FIM-IG will use this document as a basis for discussing recommendations and best practices for the uptake of a trans-research communities FIM strategy.
The FIM-IG will also be a discussion/exchange hub on test-bed solutions and technical solutions.

Meeting agenda

Draft Program 

Part 1
- Needs for AA in your community and/or research activities
- Currently adopted solutions for achieving AA.

Part 2
- Presentation of the FIM activities and discussion around the new version of the FIM4R whitepaper. 
- Do the presented needs (cf. part 1) fit with the whitepaper?
- Identify the evolution requirements for fitting the wider community needs.

Part 3
- Brainstorming about possible activities
- Identification of next steps and who is responsible

Target audience:

For this open session we invite data practitioners, policy makers and community adopters who are familiar with Federated Identity Management to attend.

Authentication and Authorization is a transversal issue in the scientific data community. 
People involved in the following groups may be potentially interested by participating: Data Fabric, Data Security and Trust, Digital Practies in History and Ethnography, Disciplinary Collaboration Framework IG, Domain Repositories IG.
They may prepare for the meeting by providing inputs to the first part of the program (cf. meeting agenda).

Group chair serving as contact person: Carlo Maria Zwölf

Type of meeting: Working meeting

Group maturity: more than 18 months