Meeting of the IG “Education and Training on handling of research data” (IG-ETHRD)
Please give a short introduction describing the activities and the scope of the group
The IG-ETHRD provides a venue for exchanging information about existing developments and initiatives related to education and training on research data handling. The IG scope includes creation of taxonomies of the competences and skills required by different groups of data management specialists/professionals that will provide a basis for recognition of new professions of Data Scientist, Data Librarian, Data Curator and defining required educational and training curricula.
Please provide additional links to informative material related to your group i.e. group page, Case statement, working documents etc
Please list the meeting objectives
The objectives of this meeting is to identify feasible working groups which progress toward meeting identified needs related to education and training on research data handling. These could include:
1. taxonomies of the competences and skills required by different groups of data management specialists/professionals
2. accreditation of education and training programs
3. basic curricular elements for research data management
4. turning RDA outputs into educational resources
5. others, as proposed and acted on by participants
1. Welcome to and description of the IG, with a summary of accomplishments to date, and thoughts of where we’re going (5 min),
2. Open discussion & presentation of ideas for working groups from participants in the form of brief individual statements , pitch style [Register here] (registration appreciated, but not required) (15 min)
3. Participants vote with their feet on which group they would like to work with to refine the scope and audience of work. They are working to develop the Working Group statement as described on the RDA website https://rd-alliance.org/groups/creating-and-managing-rda-groups/creating-or-joining-rda-working-group.html (time dependent on number of groups)
4. Each group reports back on progress (3-5 min/group)
5. Summary and discussion of groups’ reports regarding scope of work, cross-overs, places to combine (15 min)
6. Next steps: Identified WGs, WG chairs, IG monthly calls (5 min)
Audience: Please specify who is your target audience and how they should prepare for the meeting
Researchers, data managers, digital librarians, data infrastructure managers and operators.
Education and training organisations, representatives of related project.
Participants should prepare by reviewing the materials and information available on the ETHRD IG RDA site, considering where they see needs and gaps in the areas of education and training curricula for research data handling, and thinking of solutions.
Group chair serving as contact person Christopher Jung and Amy Nurnberger