Thank you to everyone who participated in the session at the 4th RDA Plenary!
Please find below the slides used by the speakers:
Email sent out to BoF participants on 23 Dec 2014:
- Introduction: https://www.rd-
alliance.org/sites/default/ files/BoF_Sustainability_RDA_ P4_Intro_SK%2BAET.pdf#overlay- context=group/sustainability- eresearch-cyberinfrastructure. html
- Amir Aryani: https://www.rd-
alliance.org/sites/default/ files/Bof-%20Sustainability% 20of%20eResearch%20-% 20cyberinfrastructure.pdf# overlay-context=group/ sustainability-eresearch- cyberinfrastructure.html
- Jamie Shiers: https://www.rd-
alliance.org/sites/default/ files/RDA4-sustainability_JS. pdf#overlay-context=group/ sustainability-eresearch- cyberinfrastructure.html
- Susanna-Assunta Sansone: http://www.
slideshare.net/SusannaSansone/ rda-bof-on-sustainability-my- experience-with-isa-tools
- What are other models for sustainability, beyond grant funding?
- How can we identify cost?
- Some tools (xml tools) have been taken up by a community who willingly pays for the maintenance.
- This group should connect to the Cost recovery models IG
- Technical sustainability:
- Why has open source not worked? Very few commercial open source applications have been successful in scaling.
- There is a life cycle for tools.
- Need to make sure maintenance is easy.
- Two different aspects: develop a new application vs harden an application so it can be used by anybody.
- Social aspects:
- What is the role of institutions?
- No direct recognition for building / maintaining infrastructure