InteroperAble Descriptions of Observable Property Terminology WG (I-ADOPT WG)

WG

Group details

Status: 
Not yet endorsed
 

InteroperAble Descriptions of Observable Property Terminology WG (I-ADOPT WG)

The I-ADOPT WG will focus on creating a community-agreed framework for representing observable properties by bringing together groups that have been working on developing terminologies to accurately encode what was measured, observed, derived, or computed. The consensus building will be informed by reviewing current practices and by a set of use cases, which will be used to define the requirements and to test and refine the common framework iteratively. Much like a generic blueprint, this framework will be a basis upon which terminology developers can formulate local, but globally aligned, design patterns. With these, they may leverage their local “materials” in a multi-pronged attempt to represent complex properties observed across the environmental sciences (from marine to terrestrial ecosystems, as well as biodiversity, atmospheric, and Earth sciences). The WG will then seek to synthesize these approaches into global best practice recommendations. Furthermore, it will help mediate between generic observation standards (SSNO, SensorML, ..) and current community-led resources, fostering harmonized implementations. Through this effort, FAIRer observable property terminologies will be created, the global effectiveness of tools operating upon them will be improved and their impact increased. The WG will thus strengthen existing collaborations and build new connections between terminology developers and providers, disciplinary experts, and representatives of scientific data user groups.


AttachmentSize
PDF icon applicationBoF_Harmonising.pdf179.91 KB

Recent Activity

05 Sep 2019

Use case strategy

Dear All,
Just in case you do not all receive notifications from Google doc, I have made some modification to the document to reflect the discussion we had on the 20th August and sharpen the strategy. Please feel free to edit /comments either directly in the doc or at our meeting tonight.
Also, by an amazing coincidence, I discovered today that there is "Global Nitrogen Conference" (https://ini2020.com) in May next year in Berlin! Perhaps we could try and present a poster to it? Something to help us focus and reach out?
Kind regards

05 Sep 2019

AW: I-ADOPT meeting at 18:00 CEST

Dear all,
this is a reminder and invitation to our today’s teleconference (18:00 CEST).
Maria Stoica will present SVO (scientific variable ontology) and Alison Pamment will speak about CF convention.
Please also read Gwen Moncoiffe’s proposed strategy for I-ADOPT study cases: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t3haS7tACEpIYRRHdwSJAiJCnpySwfJt-EaN...

19 Aug 2019

I-ADOPT teleconference

Dear all,
meet hopefully many of you tomorrow. Main topic is the preparation of the first two tasks (use cases and survey) of the WG and the Kick-Off meeting in Helsinki.
Best regards,
Barbara
.........................................................................................................................................
Join skype conference
If you have problems to join, use Skype Web App
[!OC([0407])!]

11 Aug 2019

next telco August 20 9am CEST

Dear all,
we will meet again August 20 at 9:00 CEST (Australian friendly time), as we decided to meet each first Thursday and third Tuesday (so not next week August 13). The topic to discuss will be around use cases and how to organize the frist two tasks of the WG.
The presentations of Maria Stoica about SVO (scientific variable ontology) and of Alison Pamment will be held Thursday 5th September at 18:00 CEST, where we hope that many will be back from holidays.
Best regards,
Barbara

30 Jul 2019

I-ADOPT meeting

Dear all,
I think it is better to postpone the presentations of Maria and Alison to September as too many are in holidays.
We will use the time to talk in a smaller round to coordinate actions and prepare the WG Kick-Off session, which has been approved by RDA comittee.
Talk to you soon,
best regards,
Barbara
.........................................................................................................................................
Participate at skype conference
If you have problems, please use Skype Web App

11 Jul 2019

next call NOT July 16, BUT August 2 - presentations next time

Hi all,
we are in the middle of summer holidays, many of us are not available the next weeks, thus we will skip the next call and meet again August 2 at 18:00 CEST.
I have been able to submit the case Statement and the session application for the 14th PM in Helsinki. Here you can see the minutes of our last call:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-XaPSr4Lf7Hd-HrcGmlkYRSx3C-rxvxYIiKx...

03 Jul 2019

I-ADOPT teleconference

Dear all,
we meet again tomorrow.
We will talk about next steps after having submitted the case statement and preparation of the Kick-Off meeting for the 14th PM in Helsinki.
Best regards,
Barbara
.........................................................................................................................................
Participate at the teleconference
If you have problems, please use Skype Web App
Participate via phone: +4312056367002,,34901031# (Dial-in Number)
Conference number: 34901031
|Help