TAB Activity Summary

Purpose

To provide information about what TAB has been discussing. The information will be a mix of monthly agenda summaries and reports to Council

Background

One of the RDA Principles is Openness. TAB would like to honour this principle as far as possible, within the boundaries of individual privacy.

One of TAB’s primary tasks, for example, is to evaluate Case Statements and these can be regarded as proposal reviews.

We believe that the internal discussion among TAB members and with the Case Statement authors should be regarded as private until the review is complete and the Case Statement is approved or rejected.

At the same time, Secretariat is very constrained in the support it can currently offer TAB to support a more open approach.

This page represents what is possible now with the available resources. TAB will review this if the support from Secretariat changes.

Agenda Summaries

This section aggregates the agenda topics by month in descending order (normally TAB meets twice/month), starting in January 2018.

October 2018

1. Status of TAB reviews

  • FAIR Data Maturity WG
  • Software Source Code Identification WG

2. P12 preparation

  • Session scheduling: updates
  • Session attendance table to fill by TAB members

3. Update of "TAB: What we do and how we do it" document

  • Update finalized
  • Discussion on making the document public
  • Aims to have reviews ready before P12

4. Discussion on plans for an 'unconference space'

  • How this could be organised
  • Assessment of how to implement it at P13
  • Preparation of an answer to Council

5. Subjects for P12 TAB/Chair meeting

  • TAB/Chair meeting held on Sunday 4 November, 15:30-18:00
  • Among possible subjects
    • Unconference
    • Tracking of the evolution of Group activities
    • Follow-up on subjects dealt with during the WG/IG Chair meeting
      • Not all subjects would be appropriate

6. Preparation of an answer to the Council question about TAB's role in guarding against change in what Groups said they would originally do and what they are actually doing at the moment

7. Status of TAB candidatures

September 2018

TAB meeting: 27 September (13 September - cancelled)

1. Status of TAB reviews.

  • FAIR Data Maturity WG

2. P12 preparation

  • Session Attendence Table to fill by TAB members

3. Update of "TAB: What we do and how we do it" document to reflect the recent updates of the RDA Governance Document and of the RDA TAB Responsibilities and Processes Document

4. Discussion on plans for an 'unconference space' at P13

  • How this could be organised
  • Discussion with P13 organisers

5. TAB nominations

6. Prepared an answer to the Council question about TAB's role in guarding against change in what Groups said they would originally do and what they are actually doing at the moment

August 2018

TAB meetings: August 2, 16, 30

1. Status of TAB reviews.

We discussed:

  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG 
  • Software Source Code Identification WG
  • Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG

2. P12 preparation

  • Discussion and review of draft session scheduling
  • Reminder to provide feedback to Groups re their P12 proposals
  • Status of session scheduling after TAB agreed with draft
  • Review of Group submission processes (some submissions had been made but group chairs were unaware of this)
  • P12 Attendance Table (TAB attendance to sessions)

3. Update of "TAB: What we do and how we do it" document to reflect the recent updates of the RDA Governance Document and of the RDA TAB Responsibilities and Processes Document

4. Discussion on plans for an 'unconference space' at P13

3. Resolution of Biosharing WG renaming issue

4. TAB nominations

5. Secretariat support to TAB

6. Approval of TAB Activity Monthly Report

July 2018

TAB meetings: July 5, 12, 19

1. Status of TAB revews.

We discussed:

  • Blockchain Applications in Health WG 
  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG 
  • CODATA/RDA Research Data Science Schools for Low and Middle Income Countries 
  • Earth, Space, Environmental Sciences IG 
  • Software Source Code Identification
  • Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG

2. TAB position on request from BioSharing WEG to rename

3. Update from the attendees at the Vienna Chairs' Collaboration meeting

4. P12 preparation, including discussion of every session proposal, preparation of feedback notes, and decisions on acceptances

NOTE: this consumed much of two normal TAB meetings, as well as a separate 2 hour meeting.

5. Possible relationship with ISO

June 2018

TAB meetings: June 7, 21

1. Status of TAB reviews 

  • Capacity Development for Agricultural Data WG
  • Blockchain Applications in Health WG
  • CODATA/RDA Research Data Science Schools for Low and Middle Income Countries IG
  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG
  • Earth, Space, Environmental Sciences IG
  • Software Source Code Identification

2. Approval of TAB Activity Summary (previous month)

  • Approval for relase in the public page

3. Chairs meeting Final preparation and Update (June, Vienna)

4. P12 Preparation

  • Liaison with Groups to remind of the Call for Proposal schedule and offer help
  • Schedule and implications for TAB timelines, in particular schedule of the application review

5. Update from Council meeting

  • Process for Group name change

6. Update from Secretariat

7. Response to the Biosharing WG name change request

8. Process to identify possible synergies between Groups

  • Think about it when reviewing session proposals
  • "Unconference" at RDA - Allow an open space for discussion at RDA Plenaries

May 2018

TAB meetings: May 10, 24

1. Status of TAB reviews 

  • Capacity Development for Agricultural Data WG
  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG

2. Chairs meeting Update (June, Vienna)

  • Communication
  • TAB topics

3. Updating description of what TAB does in overarching RDA Governance Document

4. TAB Transparency

  • Release of the public TAB activity page

5. P12 Preparation

  • Assistance for Wenbo Chu with the scheduling process
  • Schedule and implications for TAB timelines

6. TAB review page template: change for reviews of updated case statements 

7. Usecase database proposal from Nic Car

April 2018

TAB meetings: April 12, 26

1. Status of TAB reviews 

  • Capacity Development for Agriculture Data WG
  • Data Usage Metrics WG

2. Chairs meeting preparation (June, Vienna)

  • Timing: The meeting will run from Wed June 13 noon until Fri June 15 noon, i.e. 2 full days spread over three. 
  • AT will be attending, FG won't be able to.
  • Possible issues that we might want to put on the list are:
    • Current Group Description/Roadmapping Exercise
    • Kinds of outputs
    • Kinds of groups 

3. Adoption Groups discussion

4. Array Database output and community comment

5. Outputs

  • Determining consensus on Outputs
  • Report back from Outputs BoF at P11
  • Thoughts from RDA/EU 5th Science Workshop

7. Plenary 12 preparation (November, Gaborone) 

IDW Timeline

  • 14 May 2018:  Call for Session applications opens  
  • 29 June 2018 (midnight UTC): Call for Session applications closes   
  • 7 August 2018:  Notification of acceptance  
  • 9 August 2018:  Final program published  
  • 5-8 November 2018: 12th Plenary Meeting (IDW2018)

Issues for TAB:

  • Availability of TAB to review the session proposals
  • Availability of TAB to work with groups to improve their sessions
  • Assistant to work with Wenbo on the scheduling task

8. TAB Membership

  • Ingrid's groups transition
  • Preparation for next TAB election, incl. chair transition
  • TAB election timeline
    • 20 July - Call for Nominations
    • 1 October - Nominations due
    • 4 October - Publication of candidates (& information on balancing criteria and their implications)
    • 5 November - Election starts
    • 19 November - Election closes
    • 26 November (or in Dec newsletter?) - Election results announced

9. TAB Transparency revisited

Discussion of what can reasonably be done to make what we do more visible.

March 2018

TAB meetings: March 1, 23 (P11)

1. Status of TAB reviews 

  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG
  • Blockchain applications in Health WG

2. P11 TAB/Chairs meeting preparation

  • Gaithersburg meeting (with links to the outcomes of discussions on roadmapping)

https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/8th-wgig-collaboration-meeting-nist-january-10-12-2018

  • RDA Metadata - the document summarizes one of the Roadmap discussions held in Gaithersburg, aiming at identifying the data we need to manage the RDA.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mj3NrwGKpwsCeqNWPVunSlPNvYEghXmxXjEW...

The copy of the blackboard at the end of the discussion is provided in the Gaithersburg meeting page. 

3.  P11 session preparation

  • Session signup sheet for TAB members

4. Groups which did not have a session or Joint Session at P10  and will not have one at P11

5. P11 debrief

February 2018

TAB meetings: February 1, 15

1. Status of TAB reviews

  • Virtual Research Environments IG revision
  • Data Versioning WG revision
  • Preservation Tools, Techniques, and Policies IG revision
  • From Observational Data to Information IG new group
  • Persistent Identification of Instruments WG new group
  • Data Usage Metrics WG new group
  • Earth, Space, Environmental Sciences IG new group
  • Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions IG new group
  • Capacity Development for Agricultural Data WG new group
  • Open Questionnaire for Research Data Sharing Survey IG just submitted
  • Blockchain applications in Health WG just submitted

2. P11 Preparation

3. Updated TAB Election Process document - for discussion

4. AOB

  • Agrisemantics WG has asked for a 6 month extension
  • Should we encourage gender diversity in group chairs?
  • Updated TAB governance document in the works, ready for review shortly.
  • Possible UseCase database approach to explore

January 2018

TAB meetings: January 4, 15

1. Status of TAB reviews 

  • Revisions
    • Provenance Patterns WG
    • Mapping the Landscape IG
    • Exposing DMPs WG
  • New submissions
    • IG From Observational Data to Information
    • WG Persistent Identification of Instruments
    • WG Data Usage Metrics
    • IG Earth, Space, Environmental Sciences
    • IG Research Data Architectures in Research Institutions
    • WG Capacity Development for Agricultural Data

2. WG/IG Chairs Collaboration Meeting

TAB participants -  Francoise, Rainer, Lynn, Jane (partial), Steve (partial), Paul, Tobias (partial remote)

  • TAB time -
    • Strategy from council meeting
    • Short update on session proposals
    • Maintenance and adoption in WG phases
    • Lynn notes - TAB election doc update from Secretariat
    • Likely a short session

3. P11 Preparation

  • Session review
  • Problems to look for in session reviews

4. AOB

  • Working out number of chairs

Reports to Council

TAB Report to Council, Nov 2017.pdf

TABReportToCouncil_14Feb2018.pdf

TABReportToCouncil_7May2018.pdf