OA(B) May 2019 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

May 2019 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 28 May 2019, 12:00 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call, co-Chair 5'
  2. Minutes from Philadelphia f2f meeting 
    • Philadelphia f2f minutes - Link (to be approved off-line because of the short notice)
  3. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    • Report from the Secretary General, Hilary
    • 5 minute summary of highlights, Hilary: 
      • Plenary 14 (P14) update, Finland: Draft programme on-line and registration is open. Waiting for an answer on extending the early bird registration for Organisational  Members until the very end. The call for sessions closes on the 27th of June (16:00 UTC). The call for colocated events was already closed last week; 15 requests received, all provisionally accepted. Yet, an official notification to come. There will be a European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) event on the 22nd (full day) that is important as RDA future and sustainability in Europe is closely related to EOSC. RDA is also seen as an organisation that can support the international aspects of EOSC. The EOSC event agenda will cover topics around the EOSC Working Groups (such as Landscape, Architecture, Rules of Participation, etc). The goal for RDA facilitating this is two fold: first to ensure that the EOSC groups get an international perspective and the second that gaps identified from the EOSC groups could be addressed as new RDA groups after October. And also to see where recommendations and outputs could be implemented as part of EOSC. Next week the EOSC event agenda will go on-line. Because of the high number of requests for colocated events, there may be some changes (for the colocated events between 20-22 October). The schedule of colocated events will be available around the 20th June. One of the comments from Plenary 13 feedback survey was that colocated events were announced late, so we hope to be more efficient this time. The CODATA Research Data Management workshop (which has been running since Berlin) has been requested for 20-21 October. My request to the OA is to consider these events and also decide on the OA meeting. The RDA plenary is scheduled for 23-25 October and note also that this time the "Unconference" will take place in the middle (on the 24th). So, those who do not wish to attend can schedule other meetings. 
      • Plenary 15 (P15) will be taking place in Australia. There is also a call tomorrow about the date and location. Possibly in May 2020. I will spend 3 weeks in Australia this UTC summer, for "meet and greet" type of meetings facilicated by ARDC. I will be together with Sara Jones from UK Digital Curation Centre (DCC). If there are other Australian organisations (besides ARDC and AARNET) that I should meet, please let me know. The objective is to raise awareness for RDA.
      • The first-ever RDA secretariat f2f off-site retreat will take place in Pisa on 1-2 July (12 members). The plan for the next 6-12 months will be discussed. Also because some of the RDA secretariat members' support will cease to exist in May 2020. RDA Europe 4 project stops in May 2020 and the RDA US in September 2020. 3.5 FTEs and are all in kind (besides me and Bridget Walker who are under the RDA foundation).
      • On my main activties is the Regional engagement and Sustainability on the Alliance. Very grateful for the OA support from your organisations. Important revenue streams for the RDA Foundation. 
      • Comments:
        • Amy: Very happy to hear about early registration fees for OA members until the very end.
        • Andrew on the Australian plenary (P15): We had an initial meeting with the organisation mostly responsible: CSIRO. They will enter an MoU with RDA. They have a conference, of computational context, in May (C3DIS). Co-locating with C3DIS is being considered. And in the last meeting we agreed on a Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) to investigate venues. The PCO report is expected tomorrow. So, it will be a joint CSRO-ARDC-RDA event. Stefanie and I will be taking part in the meetings from the ARDC side.
        • Tuomas: I am now in Australia for the IASSIST conference in Sydney, Australia. Our experience shows that it is important to get the dates asap, earlier than usual. What we learnt is people need extra time to allow them to arrange their travel and stay well in advance (as it is a long trip for many and they may want to stay before/after).
        • Amy: Good news about Secretariat meeting but also bad news about the secretariat members that will be leaving. Hilary: There is the RDA Council Financial subcommittee, where the OAB is represented by Kevin, and he will be following all the financial discussions.
    • Report from TAB, as available
      • 5 minute summary of highlights and points that touch on or require input/advisement from OA
        • Andrew reported on behalf of Francoise who was not available:
          •  
          • One main point to highlight: The OAB co-chairs have asked TAB to check the OAB document on "Guidelines for Adoptability/Fitness for use". Haven’t discussed this yet to TAB; TAB meeting coming up Thursday afternoon UTC.
          • A second point is the criteria used by TAB to evaluate session proposals for the next plenary. TAB wants to be clear towards the community on what they are looking for, and hoping that (through the announcement of such criteria) this will produce sessions of higher quality.
          • The last point is that TAB is looking forward to working with the OA to construct useful pathways for P14. But this is a separate agenda item below.  
      • Questions
        • Amy:
          • The guidelines for adoptability will be discused also during the Council meeting.  
          • Do you need feedback on the criteria to evaluate proposals from OA? Andrew: The criteria cannot be changed while the call is open. TAB is always interested on getting OA feedback on this (and to make them more useful for OA). If there are any ideas, I would be happy to receive them and take them up while developing the program.
    • Report from Council
      • 5 minute summary of highlights
        • Amy: I will be giving the report as the ex-officio member. Council had a call a week+ ago. Talked about the upcoming f2f Council meeting taking place on 6-7 Jiune. And looking at the agenda there:
          • New elections for co-Chair (as Ross is stepping down to join Ingrid in the co-chairsihp). Elections for Council was already completed. You can see on the new members on the website.
          • Financial sustainability that Hilary mentioned and financial update.
          • Continuing negotiations about regional engagements, their governance and their status.
          • One piece of work that OAB was involved in is the analysis of the MoUs of affiliate members. Aiming to understand where there similarities and where differences, and possibly engaging with more affiliate members, with similar causes to RDA.
          • Shape of membership within RDA.
        • In the last Council call, the main point was putting the agenda together and preparing for the f2f meeting. And also how the work of RDA is and the value statements for different types of organisations and interactions. And one of those is on infrastructure.
      • Points that touch on or require input/advisement from organizations
      • Comments-Questions:
        • Hilary:
          • Re. work of RDA, after the Council f2f meeting we will have a task force meeting on assessing the "work of RDA". So besides the "business of RDA", we also want to look on the work of RDA (procedures, terms of reference, structures, etc.). We will inform you on the progress.
          • A second point is the plenary assessment. Make sure our procedures are inline with vision/mission. Also reviewing the plenary structure.
          • Also I forgot to say beofre that there will be an expression of interest for the next IDW in 2021 and 2023 with CODATA and WDS, with a focus on the global south.
        • Andrew: What are the next steps for the document that Ross and I developed on organising plenaries, including the unconference and its feedback. Hilary: The document was circulated to Council. Now take this document and see what to do: Consultation or not.
  4. Organisational Assembly efforts and Activities
    1. Plenary pathways responses:
      • https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JHWuZKJZUb6LQ5IM9G-2czPcG5XnR19OiCIS7LrBVEs/edit#responses
        • Amy: Context: The plenary pathways are groupings (broad categories/themes) of the plenary sessions to help participants, especially newcomers, find their way through the many sessions. It was first tested in Botswana (only for OA members) and after that in Philadelphia (link). The survey was developed to assess the usefulness of the pathways, however there have been only 3 responses. 
        • Andrew: Got also an extra verbal response: He found them useful, he didn't see them as prescriptive and rather see them as a jumping-off/starting point.
        • Fotis: Sent a message to the secretariat to get some analytics for the corresponding pathways web page (hits, etc.)
        • Action Secretariat: come up with analytics for the pathways webpage. [See report provided after the meeting which shows high usage of the page, i.e. hundreds of unique hits]
        • Amy: the people who responded found the pathways overall useful, but very low number. So, the impact is not really known. So, is it worth going forward?: Andrew: Effort is minimal. I have done it in the past. It doesn’t take much time. People found it neither life-transforming nor negative. So may be worth continuing. Last time came a bit late. If earlier, may have been more effective. So, not massive amount of work and happy to continue it. Also another comment: One of the exercises that the secretariat is going through at the moment, is coming up with topic areas (as part of the Web Focus Group-WFG). This is for the RDA groups, not for the plenary sessions. But this may enable the semi-automatic categorization of the sessions. Amy: are there any other themes that we are missing? Andrew: The more pathways we have, the more fragmented paths we will end up. So, a trade-off and may be better to have small number of paths. Juan: The current set of pathways was good. So, start with the same list. What is more challenging is when there are two sessions in the same path. But for the gaps I don’t see a problem at all.
        • Action Amy: to send the survey on the pathways to the broader OA for feedback and suggestions on new areas
        • Decision: Start with the same set of pathways for P14. If needed add one or two areas based on the themes. Action Andrew: Come up with the pathways a couple of weeks after the session announcements. 
    2. Categorization/Clustering of Organisations
      • Conversation from last time: Disentangle Who are you? vs Who are you for? Mixed in last proposed categorization.
      • Updated proposal: Spreadsheet
      • Discussion:
        • The red text shows some uncertainty in the categorisations.
        • Shelley: AGU is both a Society and Publisher. Tough to put us in just one bucket. Natalie: Yes, is more than one categorization possible?
        • Ian: What is the purpose of the categorisation? Hilary: On one hand give more visibility to OA members and on the other to promote the types of organisations that become members to encourage others (in the same category to join the OA). But also to be able to use the outputs and value statements for a specific category. Ian: But better go for primary. Fotis: Yes, this point (choosing a primary one) was discussed and minuted in the Philadelphia meeting. 
        • Amy: Still, can we go for a primary and secondary? Hilary: Primary, secondary for both. And come back with a proposal on how to use that. Shelley: Better to come up with other terms (than primary/secondary). It is like picking your favourite child!
        • Ian: Possibly consider tags. 
        • Fotis: The second area may not be relevant for all OA members. 
        • Christoph: the Academia & Research and Publishers is included in both "Who are you" and "Who are you for". 
        • Action Secretariat: Come up with an updated proposal on categorisation of organisations, possibly in the form of an online document. Second area optional.
        • Ian: later this might be extended to include capabilities of organisations.
    3. Value statements
      • OA was offering to work on the Value Statement for "Infrastructures". Any updates: Andrew and Frankie?
      • Context: See RDA home page for other Value Statements - Picture
          •  
        • Andrew-Frankie: Open. Noted. Timeline: In around next call in a months’s time. Hilary: Will send you the template (structured document).
          • Action Hilary: Send the template (structure document) to Andrew-Frankie. Action Andrew-Frankie: Come up with a draft value statement for "Infrastructures" for the next OAB meeting. Rob volunteers to review the document.   
        • Stefan: Of the seven "value-receivers" here, the European Open Science Cloud stands out as being the only specific, named entity, while the others are generic. How did that come about? Hilary: Yes, specifically generated as a direct response for the EC and internally. EOSC is a main driver in Europe. Juan is the generator.  Fotis: EOSC main driver in Europe and linked to RDA European sustainability.
    4. Advisement to TAB on adoptable outputs
      • Document delivered. Will be discussed at Council F2F meeting, 6-7June
          •  
        • Already covered above. And also to appear in one of the next TAB meetings.
    5. Analysis of Affiliate Members' agreements
      • Ongoing
      • Report will be delivered at Council meeting.
      • Differences seen with
        • those affiliates who created a corresponding agreement
        • Use of logos
  5. Next meetings
    • Possibly some time in (mid?)-July. Action Fotis: Circulate a doodle for the next meeting. 
  6. AoB

 

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

May 2019 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 28 May 2019, 12:00 UTC

Draft agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 05:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 06:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 08:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 13:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 14:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 15:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Medina (Saudi Arabia) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 15:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 21:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 22:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Wednesday, 29 May 2019, 00:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 28 May 2019, 12:00:00  

 

RDA OA(B) meeting
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
 
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check
 
 
Draft agenda:
  1. Roll call, co-Chair 5'
  2. Minutes from Philadelphia f2f meeting 
    • Philadelphia f2f minutes - Link (to be approved off-line because of the short notice)
  3. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    • Report from the Secretary General, as available, Hilary
      • 5 minute summary of highlights
      • Points that touch on or require input/advisement from organizations
      • Questions
    • Report from TAB, as available
      • 5 minute summary of highlights
      • Points that touch on or require input/advisement from organizations
      • Questions
    • Report from Council
      • 5 minute summary of highlights
      • Points that touch on or require input/advisement from organizations
      • Questions
  4. Organisational Assembly efforts and Activities
    1. Plenary pathways responses:
    2. Categorization of Organisations
      • Conversation from last time: Disentangle Who are you? vs Who are you for? Mixed in last proposed categorization.
      • Updated proposal: Spreadsheet
    3. Value statements
      • OA was offering to work on the Value Statement for "Infrastructures". Any updates: Andrew and Frankie?
      • Context: See RDA home page for other Value Statements - Picture
    4. Advisement to TAB on adoptable outputs
      • Document delivered. Will be discussed at Council F2F meeting, 6-7June
    5. Analysis of Affiliate Members' agreements
      • Ongoing
      • Report will be delivered at Council meeting.
      • Differences seen with
        • those affiliates who created a corresponding agreement
        • Use of logos
  5. Next meetings
  6. AoB