OAB May 2016 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 12 May 2016, 22:00 UTC

US and (partly) far east friendly timeslot

 Draft minutes

Recording available here (partial)

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger
    • Present: Aaron, Amy (Chair), Andrew (TAB), Guru, Jason, John, Juan (co-Chair), Larry, Malcolm, Mark L., Nick, Raphael, Ross, Stephen.  Mark P. (SG), Fotis (secretariat).
  2. Roll Call - 5'
  3. The new Organisational Advisory Board - Amy - 5'
    • 10 members. Co-chairs: Amy and Juan. New OAB members: https://rd-alliance.org/about-rda/our-leadership/rda-organisational-advi...
    •   Still two seats from industry empty (OAB is 12 members).
    • Discussion:
      • Ross: Are we happy to have two members from publishers? (as they are the main industrial members in OA). It may be good to promote RDA to industry beyond publishers, e.g. data industry. Contact people we know e.g. Figshare person. Amy: Yes, good point. But not easy to engage industrial members. Juan: Better to find and invite all active industrial (individual) members in RDA.
      • Amy to Fotis: Is it possible to get the individual RDA members from industry from the RDA DB? Fotis: Yes, RDA Europe has done this exercise as part of the RDA Europe projects. Can be done at global level. But it is not easy to attract them and a lot of these members not very active (besides some members from SMEs with targeted interests, especially in domain WGs). Juan: To get active members, possibly check whether they have attended 2 or more plenaries. Malcom-Stephen: We can try to get Amazon and Microsoft. Malcolm: Amazon AWS open data toolkit: https://aws.amazon.com/government-education/open-data/
      • Action: Fotis/secretariat to get the industrial RDA individual members who have participated to at least two plenaries.
  4. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting) - 10'
    • March Tokyo meetings: To be approved in the next meeting (were not fully available in the previous meeting)
    • Open actions:
      • Kathy: Short form for OA commentaries to record their expertise - Open - See agenda item 6
      • Fotis to share the notes from the sustainability and funding sub-committee meeting - Closed (11 May 23:00 UTC)
      • Volunteers to send nominations for 1. Finance and 2. Sustainability and Funding subcommittees
        • None nominated for 1. and two -Jamie Shiers and Stephen Wolff- self-nominated for 2. Closed- See agenda item 5.
      • Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work on the template for collecting OA members expertise. Open. See agenda item 6.
      • Fotis to implement the changes on the OA vs. OAB groups and inform RDA Groups. Closed
        • As there were some complications (if the url with the oab page changes, all previous meeting links will be broken), it was agreed with the Chairs:
      • All to report issues with the new website. Closed
  5. Value and Engagement of RDA Organisational Members - Tokyo summary and where to from here - 20'
    • May call: Follow-up on the document after Japan
      • Amy: Value & engagement document should be updated further to take into account the Future Directions report. I should do it. Stephen: I have started working on this. Happy to work on it together.
        • Action: Amy and Stephen to update the V&E document to take into account the Future Directoins document and recent discussions. Other volunteers welcome.
      • Andrew: Do we have a 5 year strategy for OAB? Andrew: More who should be involved. My concern is informed by the recent DataCite meeting where a lot of discussion who to accept as members as there are members with different agendas.  Juan: There is now a Council strategy sub-committee for overall RDA strategy. Mark: Your concern may relate to Ross's comment earlier on potential OAB members from industry. I think that we need to celebrate that we have 2 publishers. And we will tackle this issue. Juan: Better to balance the OA with other industrial sectors, rather than cutting down existing ones. Ross: As part of RDA OA it is desirable to bring the different agendas of organisations to RDA. This may different from DataCite or other organisations who may not want this. Mark: Excellent point Ross. So the value proposition resonate for publishers, how do we bring others? Amy: Can be part of the value exercise. Juan: Yes, who to attract and how to do it. Amy: Include this in the next meeting.
        • Action: Include in the V&E discussion the topic of who to engage and how. Discuss this in the next meeting.
      • Stephen: Very interesting results of the analysis of Sci-hub pirated papers analysis (Sci-hub is the biggest db with pirated papers). Science vol. 352 no. 6286 6 May 2016 p. 633 [related link]
    • April call summary
      • Discussion focused on the potential contribution of OA(B) to RDA sustainability which is now getting more attention at different groups (RDA funders forum, RDA Council, Council subcommittee on sustainabililty and funding - See e-mail with the first meeting minutes from the latter sub-committee: [link] (treat these as the first brainstorming meeting).
    • Nomination of member(s) for the Sustainability and Funding committee (see also open action above).
      • Amy: Two nominees: Jamie and Stephen.Ross as chair of the sub-committee: ideally one, best if a member of both OA and OAB. Mark:  It's important to think of the rep. as a rep of OAB not their organisation Stephen: Better for me to steps down as overcommitted.
        • Action: Fotis to notify Jaime on behalf of the OAB Chairs that he has been nominated in the sustainability sub-committee to represent the OAB. Fotis to subscribe Jamie.
    • Nomination of member for the Funding sub-committe
      • No volunteers during the meeting.
        • Action: Fotis to invite OAB members to (self-)nominate for the Funding sub-committee
    • Background and previous material
  6. Adoption, Endorsement and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations - The role of OA(B)- Updates and thoughts - Amy Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Mark Parsons, all - 20'
    • May meeting:
      • Amy: Goes through the decision from April. Andrew: There is a terminology issue. Is it general on commenting outputs or on their adoptability. Amy: Adoptability focus. Fotis: My mistake. Will fix it.
      • Mark explains that the secretariat has being going through an exercise interviewing adopters to assess the adoptability of outputs. I have included in the agenda two draft adoption reports. See the Workflows Adoption Report and a draft report for DDRI/RD-Switchboard. And there is an intellectual effort to make the assessment. You need to have some expertise. You have to understand the both the recommendations and the context of the WG/adoption. So if we put together a board, it will be more than commeting, rather assessment. This is what we really want to do. Special contribution. Expert commentary may be ok. And recommendations endorsement may be indefinite, and it is fine to be so, because this is the highest level of output.
      • Ross: In one of the broad European bodies discussion where I was invited, it was stated that RDA is too regulatory. It is the community who should have the power and doing the reviews. So may be better to tone down the input from governance bodies. Better "expert commentary".
      • Juan: Commentary": "spoken or written discussion in which people express opinions about someone or something".
      • Raphael: It is not about controlling, rather about supporting (the assessment process). And yes, this requires expertise. And rewards are needed. See points below (for further discussion).
      • Malcolm: Proactive input point of view. Improve adoptability. Not criticize.
      • Fotis: The template starting points not discussed yet; just initial ideas. Initial e-mails focused more on the process.
        • Action: Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work further on the template and the process based on the comments raised.
    • Decision from April call
      • Decision: A pool of OA experts for providing expert commenting/assessing RDA outputs in terms of adoptability will be created. It would be possible to consult experts outside the RDA membership, but feedback will be channeled via OA members. A group will work on a template for collecting the OA members expertise.
    • Follow-up work of the new group on the template: Main points discussed over e-mail:
      • Create a template for all members to fill in once
      • The primary purpose is for members to record their expertise for assessing RDA outputs adoptability, but possibly also for commenting new RDA WG charters (if this is continued).
      • The selection of OA assesors may be a combination of directly asking the most appropriate candidates (based on the particular area of outputs to review and their expertise) and of a call for nominations for extra ones if needed (if proposed candidates don't agree or if there is no clear correlation with the recorded expertise).
      • There is an agreed reward for participating. Potential rewards for discussion (brainstorming):
        • Member profiles in the newsletter
        • Ribbons on their badges at plenaries
        • Formal letters of appointment to help indicate it's something they can put on their CV or resumé.
        • Reduced entry fee to plenaries
      • Template starting points:
        • Some statistics on their organization (academia/research, business/enterprise/industry (with a few options big/SME/startup), region, etc.)
        • Some statistics about them (position, age group, etc.).
          • We will try to align the above with the ones that they have provided in the RDA website or take them directly from there (we can request to log in in the RDA site first), or prefill them and they can update them. 
        • Data user/generator/manager/technologist/policy maker/other
        • Expertise in vertical domains (e.g. agri, bio, physics, etc.). Some standard terminology can be used if deemed appropriate (such as Energy, Environment, Biomedical Sciences, Physics and Engineering, and Social and Cultural Innovation) 
        • Expertise in e-Infrastructures/data infrastructures/computer science (in a way horizontal domain)
        • Involvement in standards organisations or other relevant groups
        • Involvement in national, regional data or other relevant projects
        • Interest on adoption areas (we have to see what we write here: data fabric, metadata, data services, domain-specific, …)
    • Background and previous material
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
    • Andrew: Pipeline of WGs after the "drought". And also a series of recommendations now (see below).
    • Discussion item: OAB needs a clearer procedural path with how communications are happening around newly proposed groups and other RFCs. Good coordination with TAB.
      • Amy explains the discussion point: Again adoptability focus. Part of problem: there hasn't always been a clear stream of communications from TAB to OA about the new groups.
      • Andrew: Ok, clariifies things. One of the threads: trying to avoid roadblocks, not being bureaucratic and stall the process.
      • Amy: We can do the OA commmenting during the community review phase. We just need a clear communication from TAB: Here is the new WG for your commenting.
      • Mark: No form for such commenting of WGs yet. But great if the OA can comment (focus on adoptability). And shouldn't be obligated to comment. Has to do it in parallel with community reviews. If OA doesn't comment, then lost its chance (so that hte process is not stalled).
      • Ross: Opportunity for commeting rather obligation!
      • Andrew: would be great if OA comments in terms of adoptability. And also propose potential adoptees.
    • New WG/IGs:
      • WGs
        • Data Type Registries #2 - (DTR #2 WG) - link
      • IGs
        • Virtual Reearch Environment (VRE IG) - link
        • Archives and Records Professionals for Research Data IG - link
    • Recommendations:
  8. OAB vs. OA transition/separation - Amy, Fotis - 5'
    • OAB scoping document to become the OA scoping document
    • Webspace and mailing lists
      • Renamed current OAB webspace to Organisational Assembly (The mailing list for the big groups stays as rda-oab@rda-groups.org). The current web space (public) will be used as it is used now having all the meetings (to keep all OA members engaged)
      • Create a new private webspace for the new OAB and a new mailing list (e-mail: rda-oab-private@rda-groups.org).
  9. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Fotis - 10'
    • News from Council - Mark
      • Update on new Council: Jean-Bernard Minster (ex-WDS) elected as new Council member replacing Tony Hey who stepped down. Fran and Ross re-elected.
        • Council sub-committees
          • Strategy (overall RDA strategy): Council Members: Bernard (liaison), Kay, Fran, Sandra (chair), Francoise, Juan. Secretariat: Hilary
          • Sustainability and Funding: Proposed Council Members: Ross (chair), John, Patrick, Fran, Josh. Secretariat Liaison: Fotis
          • Finance: Proposed Council Members: Doris (chair), Satoshi, Mark. Secretariat liaison: Mark. Note: Walter/Nancy need to be replaced.
        • Council advising committees
          • Engagement and Communications: Proposed Council Members: Michael S. (liaison), Bernard, Amy N. (chair), Rebecca K., Tony H., Kay, Secretariat: Yolanda and Timea
          • RDA Operations and Coordination: Proposed Council Members: Mark/Stefanie, Andrew (liaison), Leif, Yasuhiro Muryama, Rainer S. (chair) Secretariat: Stefanie
      • Future directions document
        • Presented in the past. A plan being worked out by the understaffed secretariat. Prioritisation being done by the relevant Council SubCommittees. A spreadsheet shows the current status. Note there are three tabs in the document.
      • Funders forum:
        • There was a funders' forum meeting in Tokyo. Stemming from the Council discussion on RDA long term sustainability. The Funders forum is composed of the foundations and gov agencies that provide core support to RDA. They do not steer RDA, just interested parties. Claire McLaughlin chaired the meeting. Participants from NSF, NIST, SLOAN, EC and potential funders including Japanese JST, South African Dept of S&T. Current business model is based on research agencies funding. But may not be optimal for sustainaing organisations. Alternative approaches are needed. E.g. plenaries funded by interested parties; a bit in Japan already. Also funded projects with RDA Foundation. Already two proposals submitted with the participation of RDA Foundation: SKA and Polar Earth Observations. Get also some overheads.  
    • Update on invoicing/payments
      • Outstanding invoices as of 11.5.2016: Arizona CBS (new), Caltech (new), Cap Digital, DataOne (new), DCC, LIBER, QDR, STFC, Wiley (new)
    • Secretariat:
      • New: Communications plan being drafted - Mark
        • Mark: Hilary came to Boulder and also on the phone with Yolanda: Communications implementation plan. Rotating the load across regions.
        • Monthly newsletter: which wil include board news. Rotate news.
      • New: Call for supporting outputs went out (besides the Recommendations) - Message on the web.
        • Gives the broader picture. Recommendations the highest level, but there are also other outputs. And the human network.
      • New: New secretariat member from US: Lynn Yarmey.
        • https://rd-alliance.org/users/lynn-yarmey
        • Started this week. Know her from Snow & Ice Data Center: She is a Data curator. Role in RDA US: "Director of community development". But will also seek financial support.
        • Will also contribute to the global secretariat. One clear role may be around the RDA ambassadors program.
    • Migration to the new website - Please report any issues
    • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: almost 4000 members at the end of April 2016 .
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Next plenaries
  10. Next OAB Meetings - 2'
    • Next timezone: More EU friendly. Juan to chair.
    • Doodle vs. fixed schedule? Off line in around one month: Proposal: E.g. third Thursday of the month.
      • Action: Fotis with co-chairs to propose some possible fixed schedules (days) with rotating times.
  11. AoB - 3'
    • Amy: OAB input for Council meeting:
      • Action: Amy to bring up to Council the prizes for the adoptability expert commentaries.
    • Any other points for Council from OAB? No.

Original agenda

May OAB meeting: Thu, May 12, 2016 22:00 UTC (max. duration 1.5 hours)

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
San Francisco (USA - California) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 15:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 16:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 18:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 19:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 23:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Amsterdam (Netherlands) Friday, 13 May 2016, 00:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Friday, 13 May 2016, 01:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Friday, 13 May 2016, 07:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Friday, 13 May 2016, 08:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Friday, 13 May 2016, 10:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Thursday, 12 May 2016, 22:00:00  

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/931252869

 [link]

You can also dial in using your phone: Access Code: 931-252-869. Phone numbers: Australia : +61 2 8355 1040, Austria : +43 7 2088 0034, Belgium : +32 (0) 28 93 7018, Canada : +1 (647) 497-9391, Denmark : +45 69 91 88 64, Finland : +358 (0) 923 17 0568, France : +33 (0) 170 950 592, Germany : +49 (0) 692 5736 7210, Ireland : +353 (0) 15 360 728, Italy : +39 0 247 92 13 01, Netherlands : +31 (0) 208 080 219, New Zealand : +64 9 909 7888, Norway : +47 75 80 32 07, Spain : +34 955 32 0845, Sweden : +46 (0) 853 527 836, Switzerland : +41 (0) 435 0167 13, United Kingdom : +44 (0) 330 221 0086, United States : +1 (646) 749-3129
  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger 
  2. Roll Call - 5'
  3. The new Organisational Advisory Board - Amy - 5'
  4. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting) - 10'
    • March Tokyo meetings: To be approved in the next meeting (were not fully available in the previous meeting)
    • Open actions:
      • Kathy: Short form for OA reviewers to record their expertise - Open - See agenda item 6
      • Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense - Open
      • Fotis to share the notes from the sustainability and funding sub-committee meeting - Closed (11 May 23:00 UTC)
      • Volunteers to send nominations for 1. Finance and 2. Sustainability and Funding subcommittees
        • None nominated for 1. and two -Jamie Shiers and Stephen Wolff- self-nominated for 2. Open - See agenda item 5.
      • Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work on the template for collecting OA members expertise. Open. See agenda item 6.
      • Fotis to implement the changes on the OA vs. OAB groups and inform RDA Groups. Open.
        • As there were some complications (if the url with the oab page changes, all previous meeting links will be broken), it was agreed with the Chairs:
      • All to report issues with the new website. Any comments?
  5. Value and Engagement of RDA Organisational Members - Tokyo summary and where to from here - 20'
    • April call summary
      • Discussion focused on the potential contribution of OA(B) to RDA sustainability which is now getting more attention at different groups (RDA funders forum, RDA Council, Council subcommittee on sustainabililty and funding - See e-mail with the first meeting minutes from the latter sub-committee: [link] (treat these as the first brainstorming meeting).
    • Nomination of member(s) for the Sustainability and Funding committee (see also open action above).
    • Follow-up on the document after Japan?
    • Background and previous material
  6. Adoption, Endorsement and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations - The role of OA(B)- Updates and thoughts - Amy Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Mark Parsons, all - 20'
    • Decision from April call
      • Decision: A pool of OA experts for reviewing RDA outputs will be created. It would be possible to consult experts outside the RDA membership but feedback will be channeled via OA members. A group will work on a template for collecting the OA members expertise. Action: Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work on the template.
    • Secretariat exercise on adoption assessment-reports as part of RDA outputs evaluation - Mark
      • Mark and other secretariat members have interviewed (or still in the process of interviewing) the WGs' declared adopters (or the most important adopters). See the Workflows Adoption Report and a draft report for DDRI/RD-Switchboard.
      • The exercise is somewhat akin to reviewing a research paper - so not trivial; needs some amount of work, and some expertise.
      • Discussion
    • Follow-up work of the new group on the template: Main points discussed over e-mail:
      • Create a template for all members to fill in once
      • The primary purpose is for members to record their expertise for reviewing RDA outputs, but possibly also for reviewing new RDA WG charters (if this is continued).
      • The selection of OA reviewers may be a combination of directly asking the most appropriate candidates (based on the particular area of outputs to review and their expertise) and of a call for nominations for extra ones if needed (if proposed candidates don't agree or if there is no clear correlation with the recorded expertise).
      • There is an agreed reward for participating. Potential rewards for discussion (brainstorming):
        • Member profiles in the newsletter
        • Ribbons on their badges at plenaries
        • Formal letters of appointment to help indicate it's something they can put on their CV or resumé.
        • Reduced entry fee to plenaries
      • Template starting points:
        • Some statistics on their organization (academia/research, business/enterprise/industry (with a few options big/SME/startup), region, etc.)
        • Some statistics about them (position, age group, etc.).
          • We will try to align the above with the ones that they have provided in the RDA website or take them directly from there (we can request to log in in the RDA site first), or prefill them and they can update them. 
        • Data user/generator/manager/technologist/policy maker/other
        • Expertise in vertical domains (e.g. agri, bio, physics, etc.). Some standard terminology can be used if deemed appropriate (such as Energy, Environment, Biomedical Sciences, Physics and Engineering, and Social and Cultural Innovation) 
        • Expertise in e-Infrastructures/data infrastructures/computer science (in a way horizontal domain)
        • Involvement in standards organisations or other relevant groups
        • Involvement in national, regional data or other relevant projects
        • Interest on adoption areas (we have to see what we write here: data fabric, metadata, data services, domain-specific, …)
        • Other?
    • Background and previous material
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - 10'
    • Discussion item: OAB needs a clearer procedural path with how communications are happening around newly proposed groups and other RFCs. Good coordination with TAB.
    • New WG/IGs:
      • WGs
        • Data Type Registries #2 - (DTR #2 WG) - link
      • IGs
        • Virtual Reearch Environment (VRE IG) - link
        • Archives and Records Professionals for Research Data IG - link
    • Recommendations:
  8. OAB vs. OA transition/separation - Amy, Fotis - 5'
    • OAB scoping document to become the OA scoping document
    • Webspace and mailing lists
      • Renamed current OAB webspace to Organisational Assembly (The mailing list for the big groups stays as rda-oab@rda-groups.org). The current web space (public) will be used as it is used now having all the meetings (to keep all OA members engaged)
      • Create a new private webspace for the new OAB and a new mailing list (e-mail: rda-oab-private@rda-groups.org).
  9. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Fotis - 10'
    • News from Council - Mark
      • Update on new Council: Jean-Bernard Minster (ex-WDS) elected as new Council member replacing Tony Hey who stepped down. Fran and Ross re-elected.
        • Council sub-committees
          • Strategy (overall RDA strategy): Council Members: Bernard (liaison), Kay, Fran, Sandra (chair), Francoise, Juan. Secretariat: Hilary
          • Sustainability and Funding: Proposed Council Members: Ross (chair), John, Patrick, Fran, Josh. Secretariat Liaison: Fotis
          • Finance: Proposed Council Members: Doris (chair), Satoshi, Mark. Secretariat liaison: Mark. Note: Walter/Nancy need to be replaced.
        • Council advising committees
          • Engagement and Communications: Proposed Council Members: Michael S. (liaison), Bernard, Amy N. (chair), Rebecca K., Tony H., Kay, Secretariat: Yolanda and Timea
          • RDA Operations and Coordination: Proposed Council Members: Mark/Stefanie, Andrew (liaison), Leif, Yasuhiro Muryama, Rainer S. (chair) Secretariat: Stefanie
      • Future directions document
        • Presented in the past. A plan being worked out by the understaffed secretariat. Prioritisation being done by the relevant Council SubCommittees. A spreadsheet shows the current status. Note there are three tabs in the document.
      • Funders forum:
        • There was a funders' forum meeting in Tokyo. Stemming from the Council discussion on RDA long term sustainability. The Funders forum is composed of the foundations and gov agencies that provide core support to RDA. They do not steer RDA, just interested parties. Claire McLaughlin chaired the meeting. Participants from NSF, NIST, SLOAN, EC and potential funders including Japanese JST, South African Dept of S&T. Current business model is based on research agencies funding. But may not be optimal for sustainaing organisations. Alternative approaches are needed. E.g. plenaries funded by interested parties; a bit in Japan already. Also funded projects with RDA Foundation. Already two proposals submitted with the participation of RDA Foundation: SKA and Polar Earth Observations. Get also some overheads.  
    • Update on invoicing/payments
      • Outstanding invoices as of 11.5.2016: Arizona CBS (new), Caltech (new), Cap Digital, DataOne (new), DCC, LIBER, QDR, STFC, Wiley (new)
    • Secretariat:
      • New: Communications plan being drafted - Mark
    • Migration to the new website - Please report any issues
    • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: almost 4000 members at the end of April 2016 .
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Next plenaries
  10. Next OAB Meetings - 2'
    • Doodle vs. fixed schedule? Times?
  11. AoB - 3'