OA(B) March 2019 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

March 2019 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Thursday 7 March 2019, 15:00 UTC

Draft minutes

  1. Roll call, co-Chair 5'
  2. Minutes from Botswana f2f meeting  - 5' - For approval 
    • Gaborone draft minutes - Approved.
    • Action items - see at the end (will review as we come to them in the agenda)
  3. RDA Value Statements for the different types of organisations - 5' - For information
    • Research Performing Organisations
    • Libraries
    • Other (HPC, commercial, regions and funders)
      • Explanatory statement: The first two documents have been prepared within the RDA Council to help different types of organisations identify possible benefits/value within RDA. They have already been brought up for discussion at the OA (September 2018) and they are now finalised and published.
      • Previous work from OAB on Value & Engagement
      • Comments:
        • Amy: These documents are valuable catalogues of talking points! In case OA members coming from any of the above organisations want to comment on the documents drafted, we can connect you to Council.
        • Francoise: There is also such a document on the Europena Open Science Cloud (EOSC). And indeed they are good to crystalise your ideas and get good understanding. And I used one of these to discuss with my own organisation. 
        • Shelley: These documents can be shared with the OA members' communities, which can help in attracting new members
        • Anders:I will also use them in my community in Denmark.
        • Amy: Where are these documents hanged in the RDA website? Can we include them in the OA pages? Fotis: Yes, will discuss this within the secretariat.
        • Action Fotis: Discuss within the secretariat the visibility of the value statement documents and the place where they should be gathered/hanged in the website.
        • Action all OA members: Disseminate these documents in their communities.
  4. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    1. RDA Council, 5’, Amy
      • Points discussed:
        • Regional engagement efforts.
          • There was a draft document presented in Gaborone. Regional engagement remains a central part of work within the Council. More news possibly at the Plenary 13 in Philadelphia.
        •  Host for next plenaries
          • As plenaries grow, requirements are higher and this is constantly a main topic. More discussions around this in Philadelphia.
        • Code of Conduct
          • Document finalised, besides an addendum on the issue of the reporting lines of breach or harassment (who should receive this, e.g. members of Council, Secretariat or also others) which is reviewed by the corresponding Task Force. 
          • Comments:
            • Juan: it is important to have more than one channels of reporting. 
    2. RDA SG, Hilary (off-line report)
      • RDA Community Update
        • The RDA community has now surpassed 8,000 members. We continue to grow steadily in terms of individual membership and the OA membership growth is perceived as steady too.
          • As part of Council’s mandate on strategy and vision for the organisation, a task force to review and assess membership models is being set up. The overall aim is to review the current models (individuals free, organisations – annual fee, regions – annual contribution) and understand what, if any, modifications to those models and the associated benefits should be made.
      • RDA Foundation Updates
        • The Foundation has just hired an Executive Assistant (Bridget Walker) to support the Seecretary General, the secretariat, the governance boards and the community. Currently the EA has been hired directly by the Foundation for a 1 year contract with a view to extension if funding is identified. Fotis: She will try to attend P13.
        • The Foundation is investigating the feasibility and costs of opening an office in Europe in view of imminent Brexit. The countries where an additional office (for the moment) is being investigated are: Belgium, Ireland and The Netherlands. More information to come in coming months.
      • RDA regional engagement, 
        • The regional engagement strategy continues to be central to SG and Council activities, with a series of bilateral meetings that have taken place over the past months and are scheduled for this year. No regional engagement partnership agreements have been finalised yet.
      • RDA facilitating standards - ICT Technical specifications updates & IEEE
    3. RDA TAB, 5’, Francoise
      • Points from last meeting: Groups: WG/IG reviews, TAB new co-chair replacing Andrew: Paul Uhlir, Unconference session at P13, Pathways (swimlanes)- see next agenda item
      • Francoise: Main topics:
        • New co-Chair. Paul Uhlir. 
          • Andrew was very active in OAB, and we need to keep this channel active.
        • Evaluate sessions' proposals for Plenary 13
          • 80+ proposals for P13 evaluated and scheduled. We also strived to improve the descripionts to help the attendants to better understand what is the session about. Changes of timings have been taken by RDA secretariat.
        • Proposal for new groups and RFCs
          • 7 proposals for new groups. It is important to comment to RFCs. Will highlight two of them:
            • FAIR data maturity model. Very important topic.
            • Funders Internest Group. After BoF now an IG. Funders want to engage with the community.
        • Pathways: Waiting input from OAB today. It may be late to do it for P13. Amy: Separate agenda item. 
        • Unconference session: There will be a session after the end of the plenary. Good test. No predefined agenda. To be defined on the spot!
    4. RDA Secretariat, 10', Anthony, Marieke, Fotis
      • Fotis: Introduction: During the Botswana meeting the following points were raised for the secretariat: 
      • Anthony: Brief presentation of adoption work within RDA Secretariat
        • Collaborative effort, mainly between RDA Europe (Marieke Willems and Daniel Bangert) and RSA US (Anthony)
        • Main aim is to support the outputs adoption effort and their dissemination
        • 3 main pillars of work:
          1. Enhancing the findability and intelligeability of the outputs.
            • Improve documentation of outputs through standardised metadata. We have been working with community members to test the applicability and generisation of such metadata to all outputs. This will enhance the findability both within the RDA community (the RDA groups and outputs), but also outside the RDA Community.
          2. Supporting adoption through education and training
            • Developing educational material to support the ease of use of RDA outputs, across the research lifecycle and across domains (as an output may be reapplicable to other domains). This entails creating adoption guides, trainings, webinars, leading trainings, repackaging outputs to promote re-adoption of outputs or ease of use of the outputs within and beyond RDA. 
          3. Monitoring adoption and impact, including some statistics and metrics
            • Improve the monitoring and collection of adoption stories through standardised templates. Recentely created a web-form to collect adoption stories. In this way people can contact us and share their lessons-learnt. But also share those leasons-learnt with groups producing outputs, so that they understand how they own outputs are reused and enhance the credit given to WGs. And finally creating some metrics for monitoring the impact and wider community awareness and how these metrics can be automated and published (e.g. across DataCite and other sources) and also run some base statistics and infographics.
        • These points will be presented within the business plenary (adoption session), but also 2 BoFs more focused on groups (on related infrastructure and how to improve the dissemination and collection of adoption stories) .
        • Comments:
          • Rob Quick: It would be good to reuse some of the work from RDA Groups such as Data Fabric and PID Kernel groups, and the RPID testbed (pronnounced "Rapid"). Let's discuss together. Anthony: Yes, some of this will be also presented in Philadelphia. The idea is to create a public-facing meatadata registry using something like RPID. Action Anthony to discuss with Rob Quick about adoption and RPID.
          • Francoise: In EU, also working on gathering adoption stories. One of them is from a French organisation on Agronomy research. They have drafted an adoption story on how RDA has been used to shape and support their policy for data sharing and Open Science. Another adoption story which is collaborative all over the globe around CoreTrustSeal repository certification. And how different regions, organisations approached it. And writing an adoption story IS interesting!
          • Speaking of metadata (which I agree is important), some RDA outputs seem to have multiple DOIs, so the process of how those get assigned may warrant review: https://search.datacite.org/works?query=%22Research+Data+Alliance%22 
            • Action Secretariat: to review the outputs with multiple DOIs and process for assigning them.
      • Other info 
  5. OA Projects - 30'
    • a. OA Membership Process document and Organisational Member Agreement updates - 5' - Documents have been updated - For information
    • b. Internal OA newsletter/update  no2– 5' -For comments
      • https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/oa-internal-newsletter-no2
        • Discuss usefulness and frequency 
        • Amy: More frequent newsletters will be appreciated (e.g. every couple of months or even monthly). And this will make them more lightweight (as currently they contain a lot of information).
          • Action Fotis: Prepare the next newsletter sometime within the agreed framework (in April)  
        • It would be good to check the views of these (who reads). Fotis: For the web views this used to appear, but I don't see it now.
          • Action Fotis: Check whether the number of views can be tracked in the organic pages. 
    • c. Pathways/Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations (swimm lanes) - 10' - For decision
      • Summary from last meeting: 
        • Decision: The Plenary pathways will be open to all RDA members (not only a priviledge for OA memebrs)
        • Pathways were prepared for RDA Plenary 12 - see document drafted by TAB and its co-Chairs at that time (Andrew and Francoise)
        • It would be best to have pathways for different topics/roles than for different types of organisations
        • Action from last meeting: Come up with a consensus view from the OA about the pathways and pass the feedback to TAB (in time for the next plenary). Closed
        • All: This is helpful not only for newcomers but also for all. 
        • Decision: Proceed with the pathways for Plenary 13. Andrew will work on these.
      • There has been a discussion among TAB ex-co-Chair and OAB co-Chairs about follow up:
        • Action Andrew: Proceed with thematic pathways of plenary sessions 
        • Action Secretariat-Plenary organisers: Publication and communication of the pathways
        • Amy-Secretariat: Feedback mechanism on usefulness of pathways
      • Feedback needed from the OA(B):
      • Other comments:
        • Anders: Visualising the pathways is also important with colors or shapes. Fotis: Colors are used for the groups maturity (starting, mid-way, wrapping up). But this can be discussed.
        • Christophe: We could use crowdsourcing to identify the pathways, i.e. ask the crowd how they do it.
        • Juan: Along the same lines, if attendence is electronic, check which profile attended which session and try to do some data wrangling and extract intelligence. 
        • Amy: Very interesting ideas, but require more resources. 
    • d. Guidelines for adoption/fitness for use ( Initial document) - 10' - For decision
      • At the Botswana meeting the guidelines for adoption/fitness for use were rediscussed. There was an Initial document on "what characteristics make recommendations adoptable" prepared by a small OAB-TAB group.
      • Some diverging key points raised:
        • What we want to achieve is more preemptive guidelines, rather than post-hoc assessments.
        • The types of outputs may differ considerably, so having preemptive templates may not work out and it would be better to have a couple of specific adopters part of the group.
        • Marketing may be needed to promote adoption to similar organisations. 
        • Do we have any statistics on how many outputs are adopted and how many not? No, but there is related work at the Secretariat with the new members. See short presentation in item 4.4.
        • Adoptable may not be so important compared to adopted!
        • Action OAB: Come up with a consensus decision on the adoptability/fitness for use guidelines in the next OAB meeting.
        • Action: Discuss this point of guidelines for adoption/fitness for use and finalise it in the Philadelphia OA meeeting.
    • e. RDA Consultancy for RDM - 5' - For discussion
      • Context: In the Botswana OA meeting the idea of RDA assuming a role of consultant towards other organisations on best practices in Research Data Management (RDM) was aired. However, it was agreed that caution is needed not to conflict with the mission of some individual organisations.
        • Not discussed.
    • f. OA Clustering - For comment
      • Conext: The RDA Secretary General in an effort to better understand the types of organisations inside the Organisational Assembly, has proposed a clustering of the OA members. There is now a draft clustering table and slide with different possible categories of organisations. 
        • Comments:
          • Shelley: We need to be listed in two columns, the second one being a publisher. Action Fotis: to update AGU with two columns (second a publisher)
          • Christophe: The second page does not seem to include functional clusters. Fotis: Associations and Enterpise are indeed not functional clusters and can be reconsidered. Christophe: Helmholtz is an RPO but also Government and Public Service. Listing Helmholtz (as an association) together with SPARC which is a lobbying organisation may give the wrong messages and have to be cautious. And we have to understand the real value of this. You may run into bigger problems with the clustering, compared to having all the organisations crowded in a slide (as a big family).
          • Juan: We have too many categories. We should aim for less. Coarse granularity is easier and less contentious: E.g. Research Performing Organisations, Research Funding, Research Supporting. 
          • Action Secretariat: Rethink the approach on clustering and its categories and come back to this one later on.
    • g. Other (to be discussed in the next calls/meetings if there are no updates)
      • OM2OM services, Raphael-Jason
      • Reduced fees for plenaries, Kevin
        • Extended access to early bird registrations (for OA members) for the next plenary (Finland)? Action Secretariat to check about extended access to early bird registrations for OA members
        • Tiered OM fees based on region
          • Related discussion at regional engagement group (multiplier on top of current fees). 
            • Stefan: Any progress on this. Amy: As included in SG report, there is a new Task Force under the Council being setup to work on fees and this needs to be brought to their attention. 
              • Action Secretariat: Inform the Task Force on fees about the idea of tiered OM fees based on region (with multiplier on the current fees, e.g. lower fees for Africa).
  6. Nominations for OAB - Elections- 5'
    • Explanation statement:
      • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
      • Currently there are 5 members + 2 temporary members + 1 observer member from Industry.
        • One member has stepped out of the OA (Siddeswara Guru/TERN)
      • Members:
        • Amy (also co-Chair), re-elected in March 2018 (term ending next year)
        • Kevin (also co-Chair), elected in April 2017 (Member and co-Chairmanship term ending now- can be re-elected) - Seat for (re-)election
        • Juan, after his co-Chairmanship, he is a member since April 2017 (term ending now - can be re-elected) - Seat for (re-)election
        • Mark Leggott, member since January (effectively from March) 2018 (one more year to go)
        • Raphael, term updated in March 2018 for another two years (one more year to go)
      • Temporary members ("test drive" since Botswana-September 2018):
        • Rebecca Koskela
        • Shelley Stall
      • Observer (from Industry)
        • Joost Wagenaar
      • In summary:
        • Active members: 3
        • Seats for election: 7
        • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
      • Notes
        • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
        • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, most probably in Philadelphia.
        • Regarding the nomination process:
          •  All members of the Organisational Assembly (OA), which consists of the designated representatives of Organisational Members and Affiliates, are eligible for nomination.
          •  A member may be nominated by another member, or be self-nominated.
          • Nominations must be received by March 15th, 2019 at enquiries@rd-alliance.org.
        • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
  7. Preparation for next plenary in Philadelphia - 5'
    • Timing - Proposed slot
    • Agenda
      • Include topics from this meeting and others not discussed. All OM to come up with topics. 
    • The OAB closed meeting is usually preparatory before the OA meeting. Is it needed? If so, it is scheduled during lunch. Action: Choose a day for the private OAB lunch.
      • Fotis: the election of the co-Chair needs to take place among the new OAB members. So, better to do it on Monday.
      • Amy: Circulate a message within the OAB private list on this point. 
        • Action Fotis: Circulate a message within the OAB private list on the OAB private meeting slot.
  8. News from OA members, 5'
    • Not discussed.
  9. AoB, 5'
    • None.
  10. Requests for comments: (link: commentary template and general process - (also part of internal newsletter) 
  11. Action/Decision items
    • March 2019 meeting
      • Action all OA members interested to stand for the OAB: (self-) nominations by March 15th, 2019 at enquiries@rd-alliance.org.
      • Action Andrew: Proceed with thematic pathways of plenary sessions for P13
      • Action Secretariat-Plenary organisers: Publication and communication of the pathways
      • Amy-Secretariat: Feedback mechanism on usefulness of pathways
      • Action: Discuss the point of guidelines for adoption/fitness for use and finalise it in the Philadelphia OA meeeting.
      • Action Secretariat: Rethink the approach on clustering and its categories and come back to this one later on
      • Action Secretariat: Inform the Task Force on fees about the idea of tiered OM fees based on region (with multiplier on the current fees, e.g. lower fees for Africa)
      • Action Fotis: Discuss within the secretariat the visibility of the value statement documents and the place where they should be gathered.
      • Action all OA members: Disseminate the value statement documents in their communities.
      • Action Anthony to discuss with Rob Quick about adoption and RPID.
      • Action Fotis: Circulate a message within the OAB private list on the OAB private meeting slot.
      • Action Fotis: Prepare the next newsletter sometime within the agreed framework (in April)  
      • Action Fotis: Check whether the number of views (for the newsletter) can be tracked in the organic pages. 
    • Gaborone meeting
      • Standing action for all OA members: Check their profiles for any missing information at https://www.rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organisational-affiliate-members 
      • Action Hilary: Share information with the OA about the regional engagement effort consultation and later also on the feedback received - On-going
      • Action OA members engaged in the Regional Task Force:  to act as interfaces and communicate to OAB/OA relevant news and also represent OA interests
      • Action Co-Chairs-Fotis: Include the RDA consultancy idea (of RDA acting as a consultant to organisations around RDM good practices) in the agenda of the next meeting - Open (as not discussed today)
      • Action: Next OAB to be elected in time for the next plenary so that the new members can make travel plans. See related agenda item - On-going
      • Decision: New OAB members:
        • Rebecca Koskela, DataONE, USA
        • Shelley Stall, American Geophysical Union, USA
      • Action Secretariat: Update the OAB page with the new members - Closed
      • Action Mark (Leggott): Reach out to all OA members for nominating for the OAB. See related agenda item  -On-going
      • Decision: The Plenary pathways will be open to all RDA members. 
      • Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus view from the OA about the pathways and pass the feedback to TAB (in time for the next plenary) - See related agenda item - Closed
      • Action Secretariat: to consider coming up with some statistics around adoption. See related agenda item. Closed (for now)
      • Action Secretariat: Invite RDA US (Anthony Juehne) to make a presentation in the next meeting on the effort around adoption. See related agenda item. Closed
      •  Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus decision on the adoptability/fitness for use guidelines in the next OAB meeting. See related agenda item Open (Discuss this in Philadelphia)
    • June meeting
      • Action all OAB members: Check the OM2OM contacts spreadsheet and fill in your name in case you have a contact in another organisational member (Link) - Open
      • Action OAB co-chairs: to make a proposal on reduced plenary fees for OMs (e.g. early bird all the way) to the RDA plenary organisers (now P14) and come back to you - Open 
      • Action Fotis: Circulate the request on who wants to work with Andrew on "what makes an output adoptable" to the whole Organisational Assembly and ask for volunteers (at least one is needed) - Done in the e-mail with the announcemnet of the June minutes - no volunteers though - Open
    • Previous meetings
      • Decision: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - Open
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- Open
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia) - See new action point and agenda item above. On-going

Draft agenda

 

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 07:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 08:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 10:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 12:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 15:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 16:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 17:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Medina (Saudi Arabia) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 18:00:00 AST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Friday, 8 March 2019, 00:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Friday, 8 March 2019, 02:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand - Wellington) Friday, 8 March 2019, 04:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Thursday, 7 March 2019, 15:00:00

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509  

RDA OA(B) meeting
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509
 
You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9087 3604  Austria: +43 7 2081 5427 Belgium: +32 28 93 7018 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9353 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82 Finland: +358 923 17 0568 France: +33 170 950 594 Germany: +49 692 5736 7317 Ireland: +353 15 360 728 Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01 Netherlands: +31 207 941 377 New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302  Norway: +47 21 93 37 51 Spain: +34 932 75 2004  Sweden: +46 853 527 827  Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088 United States: +1 (571) 317-3129
 
First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check
 
  1. Roll call, co-Chair 5'
  2. Minutes from Botswana f2f meeting  - 5' - For approval 
  3. RDA Value Statements for the different types of organisations - 5' - For information
  4. News from RDA Governance Bodies, 20'
    1. RDA Council, 5’, Amy
      • Points from last meeting: Update on regional engagement efforts. Draft document presented in Gaborone.  
    2. RDA SG, Hilary (off-line report)
      • RDA Community Update
        • The RDA community has now surpassed 8,000 members. We continue to grow steadily in terms of individual membership and the OA membership growth is perceived as steady too.
          • As part of Council’s mandate on strategy and vision for the organisation, a task force to review and assess membership models is being set up. The overall aim is to review the current models (individuals free, organisations – annual fee, regions – annual contribution) and understand what, if any, modifications to those models and the associated benefits should be made.
      • RDA Foundation Updates
        • The Foundation has just hired an Executive Assistant to support the Seecretary General, the secretariat, the governance boards and the community. Currently the EA has been hired directly by the Foundation for a 1 year contract with a view to extension if funding is identified.
        • The Foundation is investigating the feasibility and costs of opening an office in Europe in view of imminent Brexit. The countries where an additional office (for the moment) is being investigated are: Belgium, Ireland and The Netherlands. More information to come in coming months.
      • RDA regional engagement, 
        • The regional engagement strategy continues to be central to SG and Council activities, with a series of bilateral meetings that have taken place over the past months and are scheduled for this year. No regional engagement partnership agreements have been finalised yet.
        • RDA facilitating standards - ICT Technical specifications updates & IEEE
    3. RDA TAB, 5’, Francoise
      • Points from last meeting: Groups: WG/IG reviews, TAB new co-chair replacing Andrew: Paul Uhlir, Unconference session at P13, Pathways (swimlanes)- see next agenda item
    4. RDA Sec, 10', Anthony, Marieke, Fotis
  5. OA Projects - 30'
    • a. OA Membership Process document and Organisational Member Agreement updates - 5' - Documents have been updated - For information
    • b. Internal OA newsletter/update  no2– 5' -For comments
    • c. Pathways/Tracks of interests for RDA Organisations (swimm lanes) - 10' - For decision
      • Summary from last meeting: 
        • Decision: The Plenary pathways will be open to all RDA members (not only a priviledge for OA memebrs)
        • Pathways were prepared for RDA Plenary 12 - see document drafted by TAB and its co-Chairs at that time (Andrew and Francoise)
        • It would be best to have pathways for different topics/roles than for different types of organisations
        • Action from last meeting: Come up with a consensus view from the OA about the pathways and pass the feedback to TAB (in time for the next plenary). 
      • There has been a discussion among TAB ex-co-Chair and OAB co-Chairs about follow up:
        • Proceed with thematic pathways of plenary sessions -> TAB?
        • Feedback mechanism on usefulness - OAB-Secretariat
        • Publicity/Communication of pathways - Secretariat/Plenary organisers
      • Feedback needed from the OA(B):
        • Were the themes in the Plenary 12 document helpful? What should we delete/add this time?
        • Are there particular kinds of organisational lenses that would help through which to view the Plenary?
        • Can you point to examples of approaches in other events that you found useful in structuring your attendance?
    • d. Guidelines for adoption/fitness for use ( Initial document) - 10' - For decision
      • At the Botswana meeting the guidelines for adoption/fitness for use were rediscussed. There was an Initial document on "what characteristics make recommendations adoptable" prepared by a small OAB-TAB group.
      • Some diverging key points raised:
        • What we want to achieve is more preemptive guidelines, rather than post-hoc assessments.
        • The types of outputs may differ considerably, so having preemptive templates may not work out and it would be better to have a couple of specific adopters part of the group.
        • Marketing may be needed to promote adoption to similar organisations. 
        • Do we have any statistics on how many outputs are adopted and how many not? No, but there is related work at the Secretariat with the new members. See short presentation in item 4.4.
        • Adoptable may not be so important compared to adopted!
        •  Action OAB: Come up with a consensus decision on the adoptability/fitness for use guidelines in the next OAB meeting. Discuss and if possible finalise the issue.
    • e. RDA Consultancy for RDM - 5' - For discussion
      • Context: In the Botswana OA meeting the idea of RDA assuming a role of consultant towards other organisations on best practices in Research Data Management (RDM) was aired. However, it was agreed that caution is needed not to conflict with the mission of some individual organisations.
    • f. OA Clustering - For comment
      • Conext: The RDA Secretary General in an effort to better understand the types of organisations inside the Organisational Assembly, has proposed a clustering of the OA members. There is now a draft clustering table and slide with different possible categories of organisations. 
    • g. Other (to be discussed in the next calls/meetings if there are no updates)
      • OM2OM services, Raphael-Jason
      • Reduced fees for plenaries, Kevin
        • Extended access to early bird registrations (for OA members) for the next plenary? Action
      • Tiered OM fees based on region
        • Related discussion at regional engagement group (multiplier on top of current fees). Any updates?
  6. Nominations for OAB - Elections- 5'
    • Explanation statement:
      • The current OAB -link- has 12 seats, out of which 2 are reserved for Industry.
      • Currently there are 5 members + 2 temporary members + 1 observer member from Industry.
        • One member has stepped out of the OA (Siddeswara Guru/TERN)
      • Members:
        • Amy (also co-Chair), re-elected in March 2018 (term ending next year)
        • Kevin (also co-Chair), elected in April 2017 (Member and co-Chairmanship term ending now- can be re-elected) - Seat for (re-)election
        • Juan, after his co-Chairmanship, he is a member since April 2017 (term ending now - can be re-elected) - Seat for (re-)election
        • Mark Leggott, member since January (effectively from March) 2018 (one more year to go)
        • Raphael, term updated in March 2018 for another two years (one more year to go)
      • Temporary members ("test drive" since Botswana-September 2018):
        • Rebecca Koskela
        • Shelley Stall
      • Observer (from Industry)
        • Joost Wagenaar
      • In summary:
        • Active members: 3
        • Seats for election: 7
        • There are also two seats reserved for industry (currently we have only observers).
      • Notes
        • According to the OA process document there is no limit on re-elections.
        • “The OAB co-chair elections are held immediately after the OAB elections with voting by the new OAB members”. The second co-Chair will thus be elected among the new OAB, most probably in Philadelphia.
        • Regarding the nomination process:
          •  All members of the Organisational Assembly (OA), which consists of the designated representatives of Organisational Members and Affiliates, are eligible for nomination.
          •  A member may be nominated by another member, or be self-nominated.
          • Nominations must be received by March 15th, 2019 at enquiries@rd-alliance.org.
        • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
  7. Preparation for next plenary in Philadelphia - 5'
  8. News from OA members, 5'
  9. AoB - Next meeting, 5'
  10. Requests for comments: (link: commentary template and general process - (also part of internal newsletter) 
  11. Action/Decision items
    • Gaborone meeting
      •  Action all OA members: Check their profiles for any missing information at https://www.rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organisational-affiliate-members 
      • Action Hilary: Share information with the OA about the regional engagement effort consultation and later also on the feedback received
      • Action OA members engaged in the Regional Task Force:  to act as interfaces and communicate to OAB/OA relevant news and also represent OA interests
      • Action Co-Chairs-Fotis: Include the RDA consultancy idea (of RDA acting as a consultant to organisations around RDM good practices) in the agenda of the next meeting. Closed. 
      • Action: Next OAB to be elected in time for the next plenary so that the new members can make travel plans. See related agenda item
      • Decision: New OAB members:
        • Rebecca Koskela, DataONE, USA
        • Shelley Stall, American Geophysical Union, USA
      • Action Secretariat: Update the OAB page with the new members - Closed
      • Action Mark (Leggott): Reach out to all OA members for nominating for the OAB. See related agenda item  
      • Decision: The Plenary pathways will be open to all RDA members. See related agenda item 
      • Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus view from the OA about the pathways and pass the feedback to TAB (in time for the next plenary) - See related agenda item
      • Action Secretariat: to consider coming up with some statistics around adoption. See related agenda item
      • Action Secretariat: Invite RDA US (Anthony Juehne) to make a presentation in the next meeting on the effort around adoption. See related agenda item
      •  Action OA(B): Come up with a consensus decision on the adoptability/fitness for use guidelines in the next OAB meeting. See related agenda item
    • June meeting
      • Action all OAB members: Check the OM2OM contacts spreadsheet and fill in your name in case you have a contact in another organisational member (Link) - Open
      • Action OAB co-chairs: to make a proposal on reduced plenary fees for OMs (e.g. early bird all the way) to the RDA plenary organisers in Philadelphia (P12) and come back to you - Open 
      • Action Fotis: Circulate the request on who wants to work with Andrew on "what makes an output adoptable" to the whole Organisational Assembly and ask for volunteers (at least one is needed) - Done in the e-mail with the announcemnet of the June minutes - no volunteers though - Open
    • Previous meetings
      • Decision: Cooperation w regional entities is very important of OM, the process concerning that should be more inclusive wrt the OA
      • Action: OA members to share ideas on how to approach the issue of RDA growth - Open
      • OM topics of interest/pain points list/hotlist: Action Amy: Take into account the idea of using OMs as a network of influence in this OM project- Open
      • Action: We should retake up this conversation re: a tiered OM fee structure based on region (specifically South America, Africa, Middle East/Asia) - See new action point and agenda item above.