OA(B) January 2018 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

January 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 16 January at 12:00 UTC

EU friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Roll Call - 5', Amy-Chair
    • Present: Amy (chair), Christoph, Jason, Juan, Kevin (co-Chair), Matt, Raphael, Rob, Shelley, and Fotis (secretariat)
    • Approval to record meeting - approved
    • Introduction of first-time attendees or recent members who joined the organisational assembly
    • OA statistics: 54 members: 46 Organisational Members and 8 Affiliate Members, https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership/rda-organ...
    • Call for any other business items
  2. Minutes from December meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council update
        • Amy: Not major news since the last meeting. Council has setup some more refocused strategic committees: Strategy towards financial sustainability, growth management and regional engagement.
        • Amy: The Code of Conduct drafted by Andrew and Amy is now out for comment as an RfC: Draft for Comment: RDA Code of Conduct.It was shared with the other Governance bodies and the secretariat is working towards better communication of the document, so that it is broadly discussed. Hopefully we will be able to announce it in Berlin. 
        • Christoph: Are there any discussions around engagement between RDA regional "chapters" with RDA Global. In Germany we have created an association of RDA DE (Germany) and we would like to establish an MoU with RDA Global that will govern the relationship. Amy: Yes, this is one of the important areas currently being discussed. Ross, Doris and Fran are working on this. Not sure about the exact timeline but I believe that there should be a document by the Plenary. Kevin: Yes, there is a sense of urgency in this. Other countries also working on legal entities and we should have had this before the new regional initiatives Jason: We have been also discussing in Japan on the creation of RDA Japan, and talking to RDA US, Ingrid and RDA Council. So, this is important, indeed. Christoph: There are also practical issues, like the permission to use of logo. Jason: Also what are the contributions towards the secretariat.It is important that the Council acts on this!
        • Sub-committees 
          • Strategy: Strategy for the future.
            • RDA as a training/education body? A certification body? Is there a mission/future here? By Francoise Genova - Currently being revised.
            • Initial thoughts and recommendations on RDA as a Standardisation body, By Juan Bicarregui - A slightly revised version went to Council in Montreal.
              • Kevin: At the Gaithersburg RDA Chairs meeting @NIST this issue was further discussed. Advancement around NIST and relationship with IEEE. I will report more news to OAB when I have the meeting minutes. Action Kevin: inform OAB of RDA discussions with regards to RDA as a standardisation body that took place at the RDA informal Chairs meeting in Gaithersburg.
              • Raphael: Also another set of RDA recommednations was submitted and approved to Multi-Stakeholder-Platform as ICT specifications. 4 out of 5 were endorsed, while Scholix will be reworked and will be sent in a next batch. It seems that there is an interest in Europe and RDA outputs can indeed feed into such a process that can become standards.
              • Kevin: One of the reasons for wanting to do that in Europe is that it makes it more straightforward to require the use of these outputs in public procurements in Eruope. This general notion, i.e. the formal accreditation by a standards body, may well apply elsewhere.
              • Juan the full list of RDA Recommendations approved to MSP to become ICT specs:
                1. TS5 RDA” Data Citation of Evolving Data
                2. TS6 RDA” Data Description Registry Interoperability Model
                3. TS7 RDA” RDA CoreTrustSeal Data Repository  Requirements
                4. “TS8 RDA” RDA/WDS Workflows for Research Data Publishing Model
              • Note: No official communication until they get officially announced by the European Commission.
          • Sustainability and funding: Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future. Silent for quite some time.
            • There is also an RDA Europe task force on Sustainability of RDA Global led by Fotis. First draft circulated to Council and Secretariat. 
          • Finance: Fiscal policies/rules.
            • Has been working on several financial policies and issues including budget needs vs. available budget, RDA Foundation and VAT issues.
          • Engagement and Communications: Dealing with the implementation of the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination)
            • Paused for the momment due to the reduced secretariat staff. 
          • Operations and Coordination
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update:
        • New Secretary General: Preparations for transition to new SG (contract); Ingrid Dillo interim SG part time until Feb 2018;
          • Fotis: Still trying to make it just in time with the transition, although it may be slightly delayed.
        • New position: "Chief of staff" - Role description being internally discussed. Also effort to secure the funding for that; The idea is that Secretary General looks more into the more strategic and outwards-looking issues, while the chief of staff deals with the internal issues of the secretariat. Secretariat is working to make sure that there are no overlaps with the Chief of Operations.
        • There is also a new person that will be working for RDA US:  Anthony Juejne 
      • Future plenaries update
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. 6200+ members. Note that multiple spam accounts have been deleted (that may appear as a slow-down). Spam issue: will this come back? Discuss it with the secretariat. Action Fotis: Discuss with the secretariat.
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Open action Fotis: to make a first draft of the content. Layout text, so that it can be edited and forwarded inside the OA organisations. Will be done in January.
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew-Francoise not available, Others?
      • TAB-Chairs meeting, Gaithersburg, 10-12 January 2018
        • Quite some discussions about an RDA Roadmap towards the future and how to map the RDA work as part of conceptual model on people, groups and plenaries. The RDA Groups timeline effort by Stefan Kramer was also presented. 
          • Kevin: Fruitful work during this meeting and there may be something lightweight coming out of this. I also brought the OA perspective about areas of work that RDA may need to work in the future. Expect to see some output by the time of the plenary: i.e. another simpler attempt around classifiers of groups, connections among groups, etc. Already a pilot draft during the meeting.  
          • Raphael: As responsbile for the Atlas of Knowledge in RDA Europe, involved in these activities. In Europe we are trying to wrap up the RDA Europe 3 activities by February and how to continue under RDA Europe 4. The plan is to continue but not as a stand-alone effort, but coordinated with the other similar initiatives. There are several groups working in this area and we have been all trying to coordinate the efforts:
            • TAB group by Steve Diggs and then mapping the landscape effort, which became the Mapping the landscape IG
            • A domain sciences group working on cross-cutting issues
            • AoK in Europe.
              • We had a meeting in Montreal and decided to join forces. Various discussions at various levels on different aspects:
                • Organise the differnet content contributions (descriptions of activities, not only around RDA, but beyond, around data management and data sciences)
                • How to view these and how to separate content provisioning from visualisation and display
                • How to integrate these in the website.
                • Establish a well-defined interface among those, one way possible is through JSON linked data.
              •   Plan to meet together again in Berlin.
      • RDA Plenary Breakout sessions update 
        • WG and IG sessions
        • Joint sessions of existing WGs and IGs  
        • BoF sessions 
      • News from last meeting
        • New TAB members - New TAB after elections. Andrew and Francoise relected as co-Chairs.
        • News from recent RDA Council meeting:
          • TAB election process: Maximum term of 6 years, re-election possible after 1 term of 3 years.
          • Changes to TAB
        • News from Montreal TAB-Chairs meeting and follow-ups:
          • Future of RDA: After bootstrapping period, RDA needs to decide whether it should go for a more formal approach (with more formal WG reviews like W3C) or continue with the current less formal/more loose approach.
          • Mapping the landscape and RDA EU Atlas of Knowledge efforts
          • Testbeds for outputs. Different ideas discussed, some only to promote adoption, some one step further towards services.
  4. OAB elections update - Current state and open discussion
    • ​​​​​​​OAB members whose terms ended (OAB=10 members excluding industry reps)
      • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected).
        • Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand up for re-election. 
        • Amy, Kevin and Raphael are standing up for re-election.
      • Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan. 
        • A total number of 4 seats available.  
        • 1 Nomination received, Mark Leggott, Research Data Canada 
        • Current set of members: current members + candidates: Amy, Guru, Jason, Juan, Kevin, Mark and Raphael (7 members). 
      • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
    • Amy: Some concern that there is only one candidate. Are there further actoins to increase the number of candidates?
      • Discussion:
        • Kevin: Certainly a concern, if not enough engagement.
        • Jason: I think it is an area of concern. Also Barcelona Supercomputing Center stepped out; Hope this is not an indication of the future of OAB. This is linked with the OA perceived value and it is vital that OMs are getting some value out of the RDA OA.
        • Amy: Fabrizio indeed announced that BSC is backing out, on the other hand Griffith University is staying. Malcolm just stated that he is overloaded. It may have to do with the perceived value that OMs are getting from OAB. As stated before, it is important that Council works on MoUs with regional "chapters", but also on MoUs with plenary hosts. We have talked in the past about different level of fees for OA members. In the area of value proposition there was also the point of better and regularised communication about the benefits OMs are receiving. Not the newsletter, rather a quarterly high-points how RDA is benefitting organisastions and help organisations highlight these benefits. Also the work on OM2OM benefits. 
        • Matt: Do we have the background why BSC stepped out? As part of a broader review of their memberships, they said that they cannot justify the contribution in return of the value (given also the high cost (10K) for the membership). Jason: Working towards more concrete-tangible value as part of OM2OM benefits (next point in the agenda).
        • Raphael: Still I failed to convince Fab otherwise.
        • All: Not the right audience as we are all committed in this meeting.
        • Discuss this in Berlin? Christoph: Only we have prepare it well. If the group has some findings by then?
        • Raphael: Systematic way of approaching potential members? Juan: These should be the ones with high number of individual members. And encourage them to join as OMs. Amy: Or start with the attendance of RDA plenaries. Yes: Good point.  Kevin: Provide me with access on members attending recent plenaries and trying to find the organisations with multiple members. Action Fotis-secretariat: Check whether OAB chairs can get access to the list of members from all recent plenaries with names and organisations and try to filter the organisations with most members. Possibly also for the full RDA membership.
        • Action Fotis: to dig out the e-mail tempates prepared by Mark Parsons for returning and non-returning OMs and share it with the co-Chairs.
        • Matt: presumably we can also reach out to organisational members who haven't been attending this call as well, to try to understand their lack of engagement.
    • Amy-Kevin: Create a sub-group to approach OMs that have stepped away (BSC) or members stepping down (e.g. Malcolm) and try to understand whether another member can be active. Decision/Action: New OA sub-group created to reach out to Organisational Members who have stepped down and understand the reasoning. Members: Amy, Jason, Kevin, Matt. 
  5. OA "Projects"
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Discussion at January meeting:
            • Jason: We have to strive towards more formal, professional services to be able to sustain and attract more OA members.
            • Raphael: I understand this as "start with the informal (low barrier) and then move to the professional"
              • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members. How to develop this in a stepwise approach:
          • OAB (private) members put their name next to any organizational members that have a personal contact with. In this way, a short list of maybe 6-8 organizations we be created, who we will contact first to see if this is even feasible. After contacting these possible organizations and working out some details, we will have a better idea of what is needed to offer services. The knowledge we gain from these initial asks will assist us in the next stage, which is reaching out to the full OA membership. At that point, it will take more effort and an online form may work well. My assumption is that after these initial conversations with the 6-8 organizations, we will have more discussions on how to best continue the process with the full OA membership.
            • On-line sheet sent to the private OAB list by Jason - Link
            • Action: Only for (private) OAB members to fill in the on-line googlesheet.
              • Jason: Start slowly and see how it goes.
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
        • Action Fotis: to send a reminder to the group. Amy: Note Malcolm is a member until Berlin.
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
      • Amy: may bring this up again in Berlin.
  6. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  7. Regular calls plan
    • February call: Asia-Oceania friendly: Tuesday 6 February around 7-8 UTC?
  8. Any other business
  9. Older action Items
    Responsibility Item description Date created

    Status /Date

    Secretariat

    Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

    Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

    201612 Open Updated 2017-05
    Secretariat

    Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

    Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

    Current state: Open

    201612 On-going
    Fotis, Raphael

    Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

    Update: 

    • The name "AoK" may disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
    • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
      • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
    • Webinar done on Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
    201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
    OA: Industry sub-group

    To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up. 

    201703 Open
    OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in 2018 201704 Open
    OAB: Jason, Raphael

    Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

    Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

    201704

    On-going

    OA: Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

    Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models.

    201704 Open
    OAB Chairs, Secretariat

    Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements. 

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up.  Kevin will approach Juan and report back.

    Update 16 January 2018: Amy, Kevin, Fotis to work on updating the OA process document. 

    201704 Open

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

January 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 16 January at 12:00 UTC

EU friendly timeslot

Draft agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 04:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 05:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 07:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 09:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 12:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 13:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 14:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 21:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 23:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Wednesday, 17 January 2018, 01:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 16 January 2018, 12:00:00

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9091 7603 Austria: +43 1 2530 22500 Belgium: +32 28 93 7002 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9376 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69 Finland: +358 923 17 0556 France: +33 170 950 590 Germany: +49 692 5736 7300 Ireland: +353 15 360 756 Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80 Netherlands: +31 207 941 375 New Zealand: +64 9 282 9510 Norway: +47 21 93 37 37 Spain: +34 932 75 1230 Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0097 United States: +1 (786) 535-3119

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

  1. Roll Call - 5', Amy-Chair
  2. Minutes from December meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
  4. OAB elections update - Current state and open discussion
    • ​​​​​​​OAB members whose terms ended (OAB=10 members excluding industry reps)
      • Amy, Fabrizio, Kevin, Malcolm and Raphael (all can be reelected).
        • Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand up for re-election. 
        • Amy, Kevin and Raphael are standing up for re-election.
      • Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan. 
        • A total number of 4 seats available.  
        • 1 Nomination received, Mark Leggott, Research Data Canada 
        • Current set of members: current members + candidates: Amy, Guru, Jason, Juan, Kevin, Mark and Raphael (7 members). 
      • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected)
    • Update election schedule timeline
  5. OA "Projects"
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members. How to develop this in a stepwise approach:
          • OAB (private) members put their name next to any organizational members that have a personal contact with. In this way, a short list of maybe 6-8 organizations we be created, who we will contact first to see if this is even feasible. After contacting these possible organizations and working out some details, we will have a better idea of what is needed to offer services. The knowledge we gain from these initial asks will assist us in the next stage, which is reaching out to the full OA membership. At that point, it will take more effort and an online form may work well. My assumption is that after these initial conversations with the 6-8 organizations, we will have more discussions on how to best continue the process with the full OA membership.
            • Excel file by Jason - File
            • Action: Only for (private) OAB members to fill in the excel.
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
  6. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  7. Regular calls plan
    • February call: Asian friendly: Tuesday 6 February around 7-8 UTC?
  8. Any other business
  9. Older action Items
    Responsibility Item description Date created

    Status /Date

    Secretariat

    Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

    Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold

    201612 Open Updated 2017-05
    Secretariat

    Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

    Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

    Current state: Open

    201612 On-going
    Fotis, Raphael

    Get more information on the work and timeplan on the update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) output. It was presented in the Chairs meeting in Sweden in June '17. Link: http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/  

    Update: 

    • The name "AoK" may disappear during integration in the RDA website (if agreed) 
    • Focus has been given on the content and process aspects and then to improve graphic interface aspects.
      • The current graphic system needs to be updated / replaced. The AoK team has been looking for another graphic system which fulfils the requirements, but this is not easy.
    • Webinar done on Thursday, 9th November 2017, 13:00 CET http://https://www.rd-alliance.org/atlas-knowledge-navigating-rda’s-activities
    201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
    OA: Industry sub-group

    To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up. 

    201703 Open
    OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in 2018 201704 Open
    OAB: Jason, Raphael

    Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

    Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

    201704

    On-going

    OA: Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

    Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models.

    201704 Open
    OAB Chairs, Secretariat

    Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements. 

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up.  Kevin will approach Juan and report back

    201704 Open
AttachmentSize
File Copy of OM2OM_list.xlsx12.8 KB