OA(B) February 2018 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

February 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 6 February at 07:00 UTC

Asia-Oceania friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Roll Call, Kevin Chair
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council update and news from January meeting
        • Work to on-board the new RDA Secretary General Hilary Hanahoe and transition from Ingrid Dillo
          • Kevin: Hilary started 1st of Februray.Hilary hired via a new mechanism, not via an organisation rather via a contract for services. That's why it took more than expected.
        • RDA Governance document being updated - Sandra's work; Andrew to write on TAB and Kevin on OAB. Kevin prepared already a first draft, but there is space for updates.
          • Action: Kevin to circulate the first draft text on the Council Governance document on OA-OAB.
          • Kevin: The document is different from the RDA Articles of Association. The new document is broader.
        • RDA Code of Conduct.It was shared with the other Governance bodies and the secretariat is working towards better communication of the document, so that it is broadly discussed. Some comments have been received. There will be effort to broady announce this initiative in Berlin, if possible.
        • Engagement with RDA Regional Chapters
          • Kevin: This was discussed in the last call. A Council subcommittee working on that and on a MoU. Further meeting in the next couple of weeks. Fran is leading this work. It would be good to share an early draft.
          • Raphael: The RDA Germany will have its Assembly meeting on Monday 19 March and it would be more than welcome to have a good draft of MoU ready. We know people are working on this and Doris is engaged on both sides. We would be willing to help to accelarate this work.
        • Other
          • Kevin: Call for nominations for Council is now closed (deadline was 5th February). A number of candidates received and there will be a nomination committee to review these.
      • Council Sub-committees 
        • Strategy: Strategy for the future.
          • RDA as a training/education body? A certification body? Is there a mission/future here? By Francoise Genova - Currently being revised.
          • Initial thoughts and recommendations on RDA as a Standardisation body, By Juan Bicarregui - A slightly revised version went to Council in Montreal.
            • At the Gaithersburg RDA Chairs meeting @NIST this issue was further discussed. Advancement around NIST and relationship with IEEE. I will report more news to OAB when I have the meeting minutes.
              • Action Kevin: inform OAB of RDA discussions with regards to RDA as a standardisation body that took place at the RDA informal Chairs meeting in Gaithersburg.
            • The full list of RDA Recommendations approved by EU Multi-Stakeholder-Platform (MSP) to become ICT technical specifications:
              1. TS5 RDA” Data Citation of Evolving Data
              2. TS6 RDA” Data Description Registry Interoperability Model
              3. TS7 RDA” RDA CoreTrustSeal Data Repository  Requirements
              4. “TS8 RDA” RDA/WDS Workflows for Research Data Publishing Model
            • Raphael: In Europe RDA Recommendations feeding into a standards platform as technical specifications. Hilary has been driving this. MSP includes ISO, IEEE, EC, Member States etc. For the first 4 communicaiton is ok.For the latter waiting for the official communication.
            • Note: No official communication for the second batch until they get officially announced by the European Commission.
        • Sustainability and funding: Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future. Silent for quite some time. Matter taken by another Council WG.
          • There is also an RDA Europe task force on Sustainability of RDA Global led by Fotis. First draft circulated to Council and Secretariat. Final document expected at the end of February.
          • Fotis: Document is being wrapped up.Raphael: It is the RDA Europe stand-point and only 3 weeks before finalisation. Kevin: Good to get comments, mainly for RDA Global.
          • Action: Fotis to circulate the document to the OAB private list and also check how to distribute it to OA members (as document is private).
        • Finance: Fiscal policies/rules.
          • Has been working on several financial policies and issues including budget needs vs. available budget, RDA Foundation and VAT issues.
          • Last meeting last Tuesday 30 January 2018, discussing about Chair transition, budgets, SG contract.
            • Fotis: Main topics: Transition from Doris to Edit, available budgets, SG contract.
            • Kevin: More effort in this area is needed. Draft documents will be coming out of that group. It would be good to circulate these to OMs.
        • Engagement and Communications: Dealing with the implementation of the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination)
          • On hold due to the reduced secretariat staff. 
        • Operations and Coordination
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update:
        • New Secretary General: Announced; First secretariat meeting, yesterday 5 February 2018.
        • New position: "Chief of staff" - Role description has been internally discussed. Also effort to secure the funding for that; The idea is that Secretary General looks more into the more strategic and outwards-looking issues, while the chief of staff deals with the internal issues of the secretariat. Secretariat has been working to make sure that there are no overlaps with the Director of Operations.
          • Kevin: Is the role description finalised? Stefanie/Fotis: There was a draft version sent to Council. There were comments and revisions. Jason: To me it looks similar to the Director of Operations. Stefanie: There is also a role on the financial matters, which is not overlapping. Kevin: It looks like there is more work to be done.
        • There is also a new person that is now working for RDA US on outputs adoption in the US:  Anthony Juejne.Also a BoF towards FAIRer outputs. Also related to OAB work on adoptability. There will be a questionnaire coming out to be sent to Chairs and OA.
          • Stefanie: Relevant to OA work. 
      • Future plenaries update
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. 6400+ members. Note that multiple spam accounts have been deleted.
      • Spam issue: Was discussed further within the secretariat. The spamers are not bots, rather human beings subscribed at RDA. Secretariat is considering temporarily moderating the subscription process (of individual members). But only after Berlin (now new people subscribing to RDA while registering for the Berlin plenary, so it was decided to moderate the process after Berlin).
        • Stefanie: Timea has been blocking some domains producing the spammers which seems to be effective
        • Raphael: My advice: Cautious in moderating subscriptions. Better to consider trying other ways.
        • Kevin: This is a constant issue and new technologies are in place. E.g. there is one that doesn't allow people to post links, before they have sent at least a few messages to the list. Not sure how easy it is to integrate such technologies. 
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Open action Fotis: to make a first draft of the content. Layout text, so that it can be edited and forwarded inside the OA organisations. Will be done in February.
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew-Francoise, Others?
      • TAB-Chairs meeting, Gaithersburg, 10-12 January 2018
        • RDA Roadmapping efforts: Quite some discussions about an RDA Roadmap towards the future and how to map the RDA work as part of conceptual model on people, groups and plenaries.
          • As part of RDA growing, OAB may want to reflect whether RDA remains an incubation environment (bottom-up) or RDA also provides steering where things should go (Roadmap-type approach)
            • Kevin: One point that we agreed was a "hot list" of issues relevant for OA. TAB is discussing about a Roadmap what they should be doing in the next years. 
            • Raphael: This was also discussed in Porto after Augusto's keynote. There was a group with key people from EU projects/stakeholders. The EC is trying to "biggyback" on the RDA efforts in order to accelerate acceptance of the work being in the EU e-Infrastructure projects. We explained that RDA is mainly bottom-up. Recommended to be careful if there is top-down guidance as RDA work is voluntary and bottom-up. Major European projects/initiatives (e.g. EOSCHub, OpenAIRE-Advance, Freya projects) are now liaising/engaging with RDA. They can join RDA and if they identify issues they bring these to RDA and create/follow relevant groups. In other words RDA can act as the neutral platform to resolve their issues.
            • Kevin: OMs can have a view on this. As RDA grows, we need to re-examine such issues.
            • Juan: If TAB goes ahead, then OAB can provide a list of topics. OAB may not have the capacity to do it on its own. But a joint effort may be good. Kevin: Yes, not so relevant for OAB to take it up, as this is more relevant to TAB, but can contribute.
        • Mapping efforts: In Europe trying to wrap up the RDA Europe 3 activities by February and how to continue under RDA Europe 4. The plan is to continue but not as a stand-alone effort, but coordinated with the other similar initiatives. There are several groups working in this area and we have been all trying to coordinate the efforts:
          • TAB group by Steve Diggs and then mapping the landscape effort, which became the Mapping the landscape IG
          • A domain sciences group working on cross-cutting issues
          • Atlas of Knowledge in Europe: Trying to wrap up the RDA Europe 3 activities by February and continue under RDA Europe 4, not as a stand-alone effort, but coordinated with the above initiatives.
            • Joint meeting in Montreal: various discussions at various levels on different aspects:
              • Organise the differnet content contributions (descriptions of activities, not only around RDA, but beyond, around data management and data sciences)
              • How to view these and how to separate content provisioning from visualisation and display
              • How to integrate these in the website.
              • Establish a well-defined interface among those, one way possible is through JSON linked data.
            • Plan to meet together again in Berlin.
            • Raphael: The EU e-Infrastructure projects have been asked to use RDA and identify connection points and gaps. Even more urgency to coordinate these activities. 
      • RDA Plenary Breakout sessions update - Program now published. A few requests for changes already.
      • News from last meetings. Not discussed.
  4. OA meeting at Berlin plenary, Plan for the OA agenda - For discussion
    1. Announcement of OAB co-Chair (to be elected at the OAB private meeting on Thursday)
    2. Updates from Governance
      • Council
      • Secretary General
      • TAB
    3. OA Membership - Stimulate more OA members from both academia and industry (try to get an OA pitch presentation at the industrial pre-plenaries- liaise with Peter)
      • Raphael: I am chairing a Monday session (handing prizes for innovative ideas building business models for exploiting Research Data). Action: Raphael Raphael to liaise with Berlin industrial pre-plenary organisers to include an OA pitch presentation as a means to on-board new members.

      OAB Nominations - How to get more people to volunteer for OAB

    4. Other
      • Open for other topics
        • OM projects (to be discussed)
        • Are regular calls working
  5. OAB Membership for Berlin
    • ​​​​​​​Old members' terms end just before the plenary (Berlin) and new members are seated in the plenary (Berlin).
    • OAB=10 members excluding industry reps
    • OAB members whose terms ending before Berlin
      • Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand up for re-election. 
    • OAB members whose terms were renewed or new members
      • Amy, Kevin, Raphael (renewed) and Mark Leggott (new)
      • Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan
    • Current set of OAB members for Berlin: Amy, Guru, Jason, Juan, Kevin, Mark and Raphael (7 members). 
    • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected in Berlin)
    • Decision/Actions from January meeting: 
      • Decision/Action: New OA sub-group created to reach out to Organisational Members who have stepped down and understand the reasoning. Members: Amy, Jason, Kevin, Matt. 
      • Action Fotis-secretariat: Check whether OAB chairs can get access to the list of members from all recent plenaries with names and organisations and try to filter the organisations with most members. Possibly also for the full RDA membership.
      • Action Fotis: to dig out the e-mail tempates prepared by Mark Parsons for returning and non-returning OMs and share it with the co-Chairs - Closed
  6. OA "Projects" - Discuss only the open actions
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Discussion at January meeting:
            • Formal vs professional services: Possibly start with the informal (low barrier) and then move to the professional to be able to attract new members
              • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members. How to develop this in a stepwise approach:
          • OAB (private) members put their name next to any organizational members that have a personal contact with. In this way, a short list of maybe 6-8 organizations we be created, who we will contact first to see if this is even feasible. After contacting these possible organizations and working out some details, we will have a better idea of what is needed to offer services. The knowledge we gain from these initial asks will assist us in the next stage, which is reaching out to the full OA membership. At that point, it will take more effort and an online form may work well. My assumption is that after these initial conversations with the 6-8 organizations, we will have more discussions on how to best continue the process with the full OA membership.
            • On-line sheet sent to the private OAB list by Jason - Link
            • Action: Only for (private) OAB members to fill in the on-line googlesheet.
              • Action Fotis: Send a reminder to private OAB.
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
          • Action: Fotis: Send a reminder
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
      • Amy: may bring this up again in Berlin.
  7. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  8. Regular calls plan
    • Are regular calls working? To be discussed in Berlin.
    • April call: EU-US friendly: Tuesday 3 April around around 14-15 UTC? To be discussed in Berlin.
  9. Any other business
    • None.
  10. Older action Items
    Responsibility Item description Date created

    Status /Date

    Secretariat

    Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete.

    Raphael: Make use of this ORCiD ID and use it also for recognition/credit for OA commentaries.

    Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold - Not currently planned

    Update from 6-Feb-2018 meeting: Raphael: What is not possible it to use ORCiD as an identity provider to login to the RDA website.

    Action: Raphael to approach Trust-IT team on the above. If progress discuss this in Berlin.

    201612 Open Updated 2017-05
    Secretariat

    Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

    Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

    Update from January-February 2018:

    Stefanie and Fotis had an exchange of e-mails about the “RDA - Become an adopter” form. OAB has requested to update it to cover also the case of someone already using the output. So, Stefanie and Fotis propose to change it to include 3 cases:

    1. I am interested in learning more about the output (i.e. initial interest)

    2. I intend to adopt the output

    3. I have already been using/adopted the output.

    Draft form (to give you the main idea): The actual link to the form will remain on the rda website, updating the RDA-Become an adopter one. 

    After updating the form, we should include the form link on each recommendations page.

    What about other outputs (not recommendations)?

    The form should be renamed: “RDA – Become or already an adopter?”

    Current state: On-going.

    Action: Secretariat (Yolanda) to update the form in the next weeks and also propose a new name (to close this action)

    201612 On-going
    Fotis, Raphael

    Update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/ 

    Remove this from the action list - Separate agenda item.

    201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
    OA: Industry sub-group

    To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up. 

    Update 6 Feb 2018: See related action from Raphael about Berlin plenary OA pitch and effort to recruit German industrial members

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201703 Open
    OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan

    Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in 2018

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201704 Open
    OAB: Jason, Raphael

    Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

    Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201704

    On-going

    OA: Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

    Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models.

    201704 Open
    OAB Chairs, Secretariat

    Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements. 

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up.  Kevin will approach Juan and report back.

    Update 16 January 2018: Amy, Kevin, Fotis to work on updating the OA process document. 

    201704 Open

Organisational Advisory Board meeting

February 2018 meeting

Open to all Organisational Members
[For questions regarding the Organisational Advisory Board (OAB) and the Organisational Assembly (OA),
please refer to https://rd-alliance.org/get-involved/organisational-membership]

Tuesday 6 February at 07:00 UTC

Asia-Oceania friendly timeslot

Draft agenda

Location Local Time Time Zone UTC Offset
San Diego (USA - California) Monday, 5 February 2018, 23:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 00:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 02:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
Buenos Aires (Argentina) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 04:00:00 ART UTC-3 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 07:00:00 GMT UTC
Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 08:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 09:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 16:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 18:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 20:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 6 February 2018, 07:00:00    

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/410329509

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 410-329-509
Phone numbers: Australia: +61 2 9091 7603 Austria: +43 1 2530 22500 Belgium: +32 28 93 7002 Canada: +1 (647) 497-9376 Denmark: +45 32 72 03 69 Finland: +358 923 17 0556 France: +33 170 950 590 Germany: +49 692 5736 7300 Ireland: +353 15 360 756 Italy: +39 0 230 57 81 80 Netherlands: +31 207 941 375 New Zealand: +64 9 282 9510 Norway: +47 21 93 37 37 Spain: +34 932 75 1230 Sweden: +46 853 527 818
Switzerland: +41 225 4599 60 United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0097 United States: +1 (786) 535-3119

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

  1. Roll Call - 5', Kevin-Chair
  2. Minutes from January meeting  - 10'
  3. News from RDA Governance bodies - 30'
    • RDA Council and its subcommittees - Amy, Kevin, others - 10'
      • RDA Council update and news from January meeting
        • Work to on-board the new RDA Secretary General Hilary Hanahoe and transition from Ingrid Dillo
          • Kevin: Hilary started 1st of Februray.Hilary hired via a new mechanism, not via an organisation rather as a freelancer.
        • RDA Governance document being updated - Sandra's work; Andrew to write on TAB and Kevin on OAB
        • RDA Code of Conduct.It was shared with the other Governance bodies and the secretariat is working towards better communication of the document, so that it is broadly discussed. Hopefully we will be able to announce it in Berlin. 
        • Engagement with RDA Regional Chapters?
        • Other
      • Council Sub-committees 
        • Strategy: Strategy for the future.
          • RDA as a training/education body? A certification body? Is there a mission/future here? By Francoise Genova - Currently being revised.
          • Initial thoughts and recommendations on RDA as a Standardisation body, By Juan Bicarregui - A slightly revised version went to Council in Montreal.
            • At the Gaithersburg RDA Chairs meeting @NIST this issue was further discussed. Advancement around NIST and relationship with IEEE. I will report more news to OAB when I have the meeting minutes. Action Kevin: inform OAB of RDA discussions with regards to RDA as a standardisation body that took place at the RDA informal Chairs meeting in Gaithersburg.
            • The full list of RDA Recommendations approved by EU Multi-Stakeholder-Platform to become ICT specifications:
              1. TS5 RDA” Data Citation of Evolving Data
              2. TS6 RDA” Data Description Registry Interoperability Model
              3. TS7 RDA” RDA CoreTrustSeal Data Repository  Requirements
              4. “TS8 RDA” RDA/WDS Workflows for Research Data Publishing Model
            • Note: No official communication until they get officially announced by the European Commission.
        • Sustainability and funding: Sustainability of RDA and funding sources are key points for the future. Silent for quite some time.
          • There is also an RDA Europe task force on Sustainability of RDA Global led by Fotis. First draft circulated to Council and Secretariat. Final document expected at the end of February
        • Finance: Fiscal policies/rules.
          • Has been working on several financial policies and issues including budget needs vs. available budget, RDA Foundation and VAT issues.
          • Last meeting last Tuesday 30 January 2018, discussing about Chair transition, budgets, SG contract.
        • Engagement and Communications: Dealing with the implementation of the Future Directions document (around Engagement, Communications and Coordination)
          • Paused for the momment due to the reduced secretariat staff. 
        • Operations and Coordination
    • News from Secretariat - 10', Fotis
      • Secreteriat update:
        • New Secretary General: Announced; First secretariat meeting with Hilary, yesterday 5 February 2018.
        • New position: "Chief of staff" - Role description has been internally discussed. Also effort to secure the funding for that; The idea is that Secretary General looks more into the more strategic and outwards-looking issues, while the chief of staff deals with the internal issues of the secretariat. Secretariat has worked to make sure that there are no overlaps with the Chief of Operations.
        • There is also a new person that is now working for RDA US:  Anthony Juejne 
      • Future plenaries update
      • RDA individual membership: Updated statistics. 6400+ members. Note that multiple spam accounts have been deleted.
      • Spam issue: Was discussed further within the secretariat. The spamers are not bots, rather human beings subscribed at RDA. Secretariat is considering temporarily moderating the subscription process (of individual members). But only after Berlin (now new people subscribing to RDA while registering for the Berlin plenary, so it was decided to moderate the process after Berlin).
      • Action Item updates
        • OM targeted communications - newsletter - template discussed in Montreal
          • Open action Fotis: to make a first draft of the content. Layout text, so that it can be edited and forwarded inside the OA organisations. Will be done in February.
    • News from TAB  - 10', Andrew-Francoise, Others?
      • TAB-Chairs meeting, Gaithersburg, 10-12 January 2018
        • Quite some discussions about an RDA Roadmap towards the future and how to map the RDA work as part of conceptual model on people, groups and plenaries.
          • As part of RDA growing, OAB may want to reflect whether RDA remains an incubation environment (bottom-up) or RDA also provides steering where things should go (Roadmap-type approach)
        • Mapping efforts: In Europe trying to wrap up the RDA Europe 3 activities by February and how to continue under RDA Europe 4. The plan is to continue but not as a stand-alone effort, but coordinated with the other similar initiatives. There are several groups working in this area and we have been all trying to coordinate the efforts:
          • TAB group by Steve Diggs and then mapping the landscape effort, which became the Mapping the landscape IG
          • A domain sciences group working on cross-cutting issues
          • Atlas of Knowledge in Europe: Trying to wrap up the RDA Europe 3 activities by February and continue under RDA Europe 4, not as a stand-alone effort, but coordinated with the above initiatives.
            • Joint meeting in Montreal: various discussions at various levels on different aspects:
              • Organise the differnet content contributions (descriptions of activities, not only around RDA, but beyond, around data management and data sciences)
              • How to view these and how to separate content provisioning from visualisation and display
              • How to integrate these in the website.
              • Establish a well-defined interface among those, one way possible is through JSON linked data.
            •   Plan to meet together again in Berlin.
      • RDA Plenary Breakout sessions update - Program now published. A few requests for changes already.
      • News from last meetings?
  4. OA meeting at Berlin plenary, Plan for the OA agenda - For discussion
    1. Announcement of OAB co-Chair (to be elected at the OAB private meeting on Thursday)
    2. Updated from Governance
      • Council
      • Secretary General
      • TAB
    3. OA Membership - Stimulate more OA members from both academia and industry (try to get an OA pitch presentation at the industrial pre-plenary- liaise with Peter)
    4. OAB Nominations - How to get more people to volunteer for OAB
    5. Other
  5. OAB Membership for Berlin
    • ​​​​​​​Old members' terms end just before the plenary (Berlin) and new members are seated in the plenary (Berlin).
    • OAB=10 members excluding industry reps
    • OAB members whose terms ending before Berlin
      • Fabrizio and Malcolm won't stand up for re-election. 
    • OAB members whose terms were renewed or new members
      • Amy, Kevin, Raphael (renewed) and Mark Leggott (new)
      • Members with one more year to go are Guru, Jason and Juan
    • Current set of OAB members for Berlin: Amy, Guru, Jason, Juan, Kevin, Mark and Raphael (7 members). 
    • Co-chairs term ending: Amy (can be reelected in Berlin)
    • Decision/Actions from January meeting: 
      • Decision/Action: New OA sub-group created to reach out to Organisational Members who have stepped down and understand the reasoning. Members: Amy, Jason, Kevin, Matt. 
      • Action Fotis-secretariat: Check whether OAB chairs can get access to the list of members from all recent plenaries with names and organisations and try to filter the organisations with most members. Possibly also for the full RDA membership.
      • Action Fotis: to dig out the e-mail tempates prepared by Mark Parsons for returning and non-returning OMs and share it with the co-Chairs - Closed
  6. OA "Projects" - Discuss only the open actions
    • OM2OM services (Organisational Member to Organisational Member services) )- Raphael-Jason
      • From November meeting:
        • On the neutrality point raised in Montreal (i.e. if RDA was providing services and treated differently the OMs and its members, then this may had been a problem). Answer: The services will be provided by the OMs (not RDA). So this is not considered a problem.
        • Professional vs. informal services: Are we taking about professional services to customers or more informal helping each other, lowering the barrier to entry for some technologies or services? If professional, then Service Level Agreements (SLAs), Operational Level Agreements (OLAs)...If informal, easier to implement. Both could be in scope. But it may help, if we take one path.
          • Discussion at January meeting:
            • Formal vs professional services: Possibly start with the informal (low barrier) and then move to the professional to be able to attract new members
              • Action Jason and Raphael: Update their document and write down some of the above arguments on neutrality and professional vs. informal services, and frame the discussion - Open.
        • Next step: Create  list with the services that can be offered by OA members. How to develop this in a stepwise approach:
          • OAB (private) members put their name next to any organizational members that have a personal contact with. In this way, a short list of maybe 6-8 organizations we be created, who we will contact first to see if this is even feasible. After contacting these possible organizations and working out some details, we will have a better idea of what is needed to offer services. The knowledge we gain from these initial asks will assist us in the next stage, which is reaching out to the full OA membership. At that point, it will take more effort and an online form may work well. My assumption is that after these initial conversations with the 6-8 organizations, we will have more discussions on how to best continue the process with the full OA membership.
            • On-line sheet sent to the private OAB list by Jason - Link
            • Action: Only for (private) OAB members to fill in the on-line googlesheet.
    • OM Hotlist (of current challenges: what issues are we experiencing and where we may require solutions. Possibly also vote and rank them.
      • Not yet started - to be discussed in next meeting.
    • Guidelines for adoptability/fitness for use for Outputs - report from OAB sub-group: Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara
      • Initial document
      • Decision from November meeting: To look for a maturity model to assess the adoptability/fitness for use. Will be based on a set of rules/descriptive.
        • Action OAB sub-group Andrew, Malcolm and Siddeswara to proceed with the maturity model.
    • Policy preview for Council on OM benefits
      • Document presented in Montreal
      • From November meeting: Discussed at the Council meeting in Montreal. Some degree of support, but also dessenting views expressed as to whether or not some of the incentives are realistic. But the answer was that not all benefits are worthwhile for every organisation. Decision: Will proceed on this basis, i.e. not universal benefits, but benefits worthwhile for different organisations.
      • Amy: may bring this up again in Berlin.
  7. Requests for OA comments: (link: commentary template and general process - 10'
  8. Regular calls plan
    • Are regular calls working?
    • April call: EU-US friendly: Tuesday 3 April around around 14-15 UTC?
  9. Any other business
  10. Older action Items
    Responsibility Item description Date created

    Status /Date

    Secretariat

    Incorporate ORCiD into individual RDA profiles: Complete

    Incorporate ORCiD into automatic registration of reviews and outputs: On Hold - Not currently planned

    201612 Open Updated 2017-05
    Secretariat

    Create a way for adopters to self-register on each of the output web pages.

    Update from secretariat call on 17.June.2017: a. There is self-registration facility: RDA - Become an adopter  which can be updated slightly to serve both cases, i.e. intention to adopt or already using the output b. There is a list of adopters

    Update from January 2018:

    Stefanie and Fotis had an exchange of e-mails about the “RDA - Become an adopter” form. OAB has requested to update it to cover also the case of someone already using the output. So, Stefanie and Fotis propose to change it to include 3 cases:

    1. I am interested in learning more about the output (i.e. initial interest)

    2. I intend to adopt the output

    3. I have already been using/adopted the output.

    Draft form (to give you the main idea): The actual form will remain on the rda website, updating the RDA-Become an adopter one. 

    After updating the form, we should include the form link on each recommendations page.

    What about other outputs (not recommendations)?

    The form should be renamed: “RDA – Become or already an adopter?”

    Current state: Open

    201612 On-going
    Fotis, Raphael

    Update of the RDA Europe Atlas of Knowledge (AoK) http://core.cloud.dcu.gr/rda_aok/ 

    Remove this from the action list - Separate agenda item.

    201700 On-going (see above agenda item)
    OA: Industry sub-group

    To plan work on industrial engagement talking to industrial members and liaise with the Hilary group on Industry

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up. 

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201703 Open
    OAB: Amy, Aaron, Malcolm, Juan

    Come up with ideas of a how a "hot list" of OA member agendas might look/be defined. Timeline: First draft in 2018

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201704 Open
    OAB: Jason, Raphael

    Jason and Raphael to present some ideas on a general policy for services offered from OA members to other OA members and also a concrete example (e..g. the handle service). 

    Document presented and being discussed (also in Montreal). Clear interest but no consensus on how to do this. Need to converge.

    Remove this from the action list: Include a separate agenda item for Berlin

    201704

    On-going

    OA: Mark Leggott, Kevin, Secretariat  

    Form the "Fee model group" to work on event fee reduction models.

    201704 Open
    OAB Chairs, Secretariat

    Documenting the processes for OAB transition of membership and leadership, to include OAB quorum requirements. 

    Update 5 Dec 2017: Kevin: will take this up.  Kevin will approach Juan and report back.

    Update 16 January 2018: Amy, Kevin, Fotis to work on updating the OA process document. 

    201704 Open