OAB October 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

Friday 30 October 2015, 15:00 UTC

EU-US-friendly timeslot

 

Draft minutes

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Walter Stewart
    • Present: Adam, Colin, Cynthia, Juan, John, Kathy, Kevin, Laure, Mark, Peter, Rob Q., Stefan, Walter, and Fotis (RDA secretariat). Gary Berg-Cross observer.
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: Eurisy non-for-profit and Qivivo SME (both located in Paris)
    • Note: we now have 34 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 39 members.
      • Laure introduced Eurisy. Eurisy is a non-for-profit acting as the Association of Space Agencies. Invited in Paris as it participated in the Experimentation Day. Main purpose is to raise awareness-raising and better understanding in the area, including events. Their next event is in Malta.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from July call - Approved.
    • Minutes from August - Aprpoved.
    • Minutes from September - To be approved in next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB - Status: OAB clustering report not yet finished.
          • Plan to review the list of OA benefits - See agenda item 9
        • From July meeting:
          • Walter to communicate the OAB document on outputs, adoption and consensus to TAB and Council - Done
          • Patrice to provide commentary on PID collections - Done
          • Adam to provide commentary on PID collections - Done.
        • From August meeting
          • Co-chairs to prepare an overal proposal for OAB elections for Paris - Done
        • From Paris September meeting
          • Include the OAB elections balance criteria in the agenda for the October meering - See agenda item 8
        • Recurring items
          • Include in the OAB agendas standard items for a. new WGs/RFCs b. outputs/outputs commentary and relevant champions.
  4. Future Directions Planning group, Walter
    • Summary from Paris meeting:
      • 3 areas identified: Communication, Coordination and Engagement. More work is needed with the Governance bodies: More work on identifying data ambassadors/champions for disciplines/geographical areas. Speak within the disciplines and come back to RDA with feedback. Improving our communication planning. Improving communicaiton within RDA and the RDA regions. In Paris feedback from Council and other bodies/members was received.
      • Next steps:
        • Directions Document Organisation Committee and the Secretary General (SG) will develop a 3 year blue print for implementitation including milestontes and metrics for success.
        • Q4 2015: Council approves 3 year blue print. Council appoints an Implementation Steering Committee to support the Secretary Generail in his responsibility for implmenting the blueprint.
        • Over the next 3 years: The Steering Committee meets with SG to conduct semi-annual review of milestones. The committee chair and SG report to Council and then at the plenary.
    • Update from today's call:
      • Walter gives the background of the group. Final report being prepared. To be ready for the Council very soon. When Council adopts it, then Mark and secretariat will develop action plans to follow up the actions.
  5. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif
    • Summary from Paris meeting and background info
    • Update from today's call:
      • Leif was not avaiable to join. Juan talked to Leif who promised to deliver the report next week. The report will be prepared next week and discuss it in the next OAB call.
  6. The role of OAB in providing commentary on outputs, adoption and consensus-forming, Juan-Walter
    • Summary from previous meetings:
      • A summary document was sent to TAB and Council: Document Link approved by OAB in July call. The document was discussed within the TAB and the following involvement of OAB was proposed:
      • Early: OAB and/or OA members are encouraged to comment on/help shape case statements/charters.
      • Mid way: OA members act as early pilots and help shape outputs,
      • Late: OA members adopt or plan for adoption: OAB produces adoption report for Council to guide their assessment. So two streams of inputs to the Council: Community process (with comments summarised by the secretariat) and OAB report.
    • Background:
      • Wiki page with summary of main points discussed.
    • Update from today's call:
      • Walter: There was a disconnect between TAB and OAB presented in Paris. The main point was around the word "review". Some TAB members interpreted this as a formal review, as with publications. But agreed that this is not the case; more like providing commentary. Commentary is the new proposed word.
      • Kathy: New TAB members after elections. New co-chair is Francoise Genova (replacing Beth). 
      • OAB involvement: How to work this out in detail?
        • Walter: To be discussed further after closing the loop with TAB and the new co-chairs. OAB and TAB co-chairs need to meet first. Then this item will be discussed in a future meeting.
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
    • Request for Comments (RFCs):
      • New WG/IGs:
        • Array Database Working Group - Case Statement
          • Kathy: Would be good to receive comments from OAB perspective, particularly on adoption.
          • Kevin: May be other reviewers from Edinburgh/DCC in a better position. Action DCC/Edinburgh
          • Juan: May ask also a colleague from STFC. Action STFC
          • Deadline 19th of November.
        • Kathy: Also Chemistry research Interest Group. to appear soon.
      • Open actions
        • PID Collections WG - Case Statement.
          • Kathy: Renamed to Research Data collections.
          • Adam and Patrice have reviewed this from the OAB perspective - Comments. Kathy: Patrice's comments will be forwarded (received this week).
      • Recommendations
    • Recent recognised and endorsed groups:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Summary from previous meeting
      • Election overall plan: 11 members will be elected + one of OAB co-chairs will stay for a year (12 in total). And then the OAB will elect a chair among its members. And in a year we will replace the veteran chair who will step down. From the 11 elected, there will be 5 to stay for one year and 6 for two years. OAB memebrs can run again.
      • Balance criteria for OAB elections - To be discussed
      • Secretary General proposed to have an Elections Committee from the secretariat to support the election process (for all groups). Not documented yet.
      • Timeline: Formal call for nominations (similar to TAB processs) will be issued somewhere in December, with a deadline at the end of January 2016. There will be a meet the candidates session at P7 and an e-election (as with TAB) after that.
    • Background:
      • Document discussed in previous meetings.
      • The orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]: this document will need to be updated when process is agreed! 
    • Update from today's call: Walter explains the background of the two groups: OA vs. OAB. Alert you that you will receive a document with the election plan including the balancing criteria next week. Could have come out today in a rush. But better late next week after carefull review. Juan: Took the TAB election doc and adapted it for OAB. Balancing criteria a bit different from TAB. Cautious with the application of the balance criteria and their order.
    • Note: OA members will be welcome to join the OAB calls afer OAB is constituted!
  9. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members - Juan
    • How does OAB contribute to RDA and how orgnisations receive benefts being members?
      • Background:
        • Discussion in the past and open action on reviewing the list of benefits RDA receive
      • Discussion:
        • RDA is valuable if users and organisations are engaged.
        • For Org. Members, "hyper-engagement" via access to future directions plans, meeting the Council and have your needs met
      • Summary of today's call:
      • Proposal: As co-chairs are closely engaged in the current process it is better to create an OAB sub-group to work on the OM engagement to report back in January.
      • Juan: Jamie volunteered to lead this group. Others to contribute? Value in both directions. Mark, Cynthia, Collin and Rob Q. volunteered. .
      • Action: Fotis to send a message to whole OA recruiting other members not able to join the call today.
  10. Introduction of new members
    • Item tackled under agenda item 2. Qivivo representatives apologised as they could not be present.
  11. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
        • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - New: Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week. Mark: Most probably will be in the Denver area.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
    • All members have either paid their dues or in the process of paying their dues (besides NL e-Science Center)
      • RDA foundation accepted as a charity
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics.
        • Now >Close to 3400 RDA individual members
      • UK accounting firm for accounting support - Virtual Finance Office agreement signed
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated).
    • Other points:
      • Mark: Call for nominations for the Council will be open until the end of December. Seniors state people needed. Not meant to represent a country, discipline or anything. More to look after the vision & mission and sustainability of RDA. More a Strategic than an governance body. 3 members rotate every year.  This year it is Ross, Beth and Tony. Good nominations needed to cover all perspectives, e.g. from this group to represent the Organisational perspectives. Nominations to be sent to Claire McLaughlin.
  12. Next Meetings
    • Proposed plan:
      • Fotis to create doodles for the rest of the year: Late November. US-AUS friendly but double check. Weeks of 23 or 30.
      • Note: OA members will be welcome to join the OAB calls afer OAB is constituted!
      • From January 2016 agree on a day of the month, e.g. last Wednesday of the month, to have the monthly calls

Finished: 15:50 UTC.

 

  • Friday 30 October 08:00 PDT-California, USA
  • Friday 30 October 090:00 MDT-Denver, USA
  • Friday 30 October 011:00 EDT, Washington DC, USA,
  • Friday 30 October 15:00 BST, London UK
  • Friday 30 October 16:00 CET, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Bonn, Paris
  • Friday 30 October 17:00  EET, Athens-Helsinki
  • (Saturday 31 October 01:00 JST, Tokyo
  • Saturday 31 October 02:00 AET, Canberra
  • Saturday 31 October 04:00 NZT, Wellington)

Draft agenda

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/502475733

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 502-475-733
Phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/201914205/numbersdisplay.html

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Walter Stewart
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: Eurisy non-for-profit and Qivivo SME (both located in Paris)
    • Note: we now have 34 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 39 members.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from July call - For approval
    • Minutes from August - For approval
    • Minutes from September - To be approved in next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
          • Plan to review the list of OA benefits - See agenda item 9
        • From July meeting:
          • Walter to communicate the OAB document on outputs, adoption and consensus to TAB and Council - Done
          • Patrice to provide commentary on PID collections - Open
          • Adam to provide commentary on PID collections - Done.
        • From August meeting
          • Co-chairs to prepare an overal proposal for OAB elections for Paris - Done
        • From Paris September meeting
          • Include the OAB elections balance criteria in the agenda for the October meering - See agenda item 8
        • Recurring items
          • Include in the OAB agendas standard items for a. new WGs/RFCs b. outputs/outputs commentary and relevant champions.
  4. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter
    • Summary from Paris meeting:
      • 3 areas identified: Communication, Coordination and Engagement. More work is needed with the Governance bodies: More work on identifying data ambassadors/champions for disciplines/geographical areas. Speak within the disciplines and come back to RDA with feedback. Improving our communication planning. Improving communicaiton within RDA and the RDA regions. In Paris feedback from Council and other bodies/members was received.
      • Next steps:
        • Directions Document Organisation Committee and the Secretary General (SG) will develop a 3 year blue print for implementitation including milestontes and metrics for success.
        • Q4 2015: Council approves 3 year blue print. Council appoints an Implementation Steering Committee to support the Secretary Generail in his responsibility for implmenting the blueprint.
        • Over the next 3 years: The Steering Committee meets with SG to conduct semi-annual review of milestones. The committee chair and SG report to Council and then at the plenary.
    • Short update after Paris
  5. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif
  6. The role of OAB in providing commentary on outputs, adoption and consensus-forming, Juan-Walter
    • Summary from previous meetings:
      • A summary document was sent to TAB and Council: Document Link approved by OAB in July call. The document was discussed within the TAB and the following involvement of OAB was proposed:
      • Early: OAB and/or OA members are encouraged to comment on/help shape case statements/charters.
      • Mid way: OA members act as early pilots and help shape outputs,
      • Late: OA members adopt or plan for adoption: OAB produces adoption report for Council to guide their assessment. So two streams of inputs to the Council: Community process (with comments summarised by the secretariat) and OAB report.
    • Background:
      • Wiki page with summary of main points discussed.
    • Agenda for October
      • OAB involvement: How to work this out?
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Foti
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Summary from previous meeting
      • Election overall plan: 11 members will be elected + one of OAB co-chairs will stay for a year (12 in total). And then the OAB will elect a chair among its members. And in a year we will replace the veteran chair who will step down. From the 11 elected, there will be 5 to stay for one year and 6 for two years. OAB memebrs can run again.
      • Balance criteria for OAB elections - To be discussed
      • Secretary General proposed to have an Elections Committee from the secretariat to support the election process (for all groups). Not documented yet.
      • Timeline: Formal call for nominations (similar to TAB processs) will be issued somewhere in December, with a deadline at the end of January 2016. There will be a meet the candidates session at P7 and an e-election (as with TAB) after that.
    • Background:
      • Document discussed in previous meetings.
      • The orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]: this document will need to be updated when process is agreed!
  9. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members
    • How does OAB contribute to RDA and how orgnisations receive benefts being members?
      • Background:
        • Discussion in the past and open action on reviewing the list of benefits RDA receive
      • Discussion:
        • RDA is valuable if users and organisations are engaged.
        • For Org. Members, "hyper-engagement" via access to future directions plans, meeting the Council and have your needs met
      • Proposal: As co-chairs are closely engaged in the current process it is better to create an OAB sub-group to work on the OM engagement to report back on January
  10. Introduction of new members
    • EURISY and Qivivo
  11. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - New: Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
        • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - New: Washington area, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
    • All members have either paid their dues or in the process of paying their dues (besides NL e-Science Center and Web Science Trust (on-going)
      • RDA foundation accepted as a charity
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics.
        • Now >Close to 3400 RDA individual members
      • UK accounting firm for accounting support - Virtual Finance Office agreement signed
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated).
  12. Next Meetings
    • Proposed plan:
      • Fotis to create doodles for the rest of the year: Both November and December or only one?
      • From January 2016 agree on a day of the month, e.g. last Wednesday of the month, to have the monthly calls