OAB November-December 2015 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

Wednesday 2 December 2015, 23:00 UTC

US-AU friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicarregui
  2. Roll Call
    • Aaron, Amy, Andrew, Colin, Fab, Juan, Kathy, Kevin, Malcolm, Mark, Nick, Rob, Ross, Stefan, Stephen, Walter and Fotis (secretariat)
  3. OAB clustering/mapping report - Amy Nurnberger
    • The report from the OAB sub-group on clustering/mapping is available here.
      • Introduction to the report - Slides
        • Amy presented the slides. Fotis: Leif presented the short version at the Open OA meeting in Paris. The full version has not been presented yet. 
      • Identifying issues for further discussion
        • Juan: The outcomes of this effort can also feed into the sub-group to be led by Jamie about the Value and Engagement for Organisational Members and also relevant to the adoption discussion.
        • Malcolm: Lack of clarity:  Around resources or around roles and responsibilities within an organisation? Amy: Both.
        • Fabrizio: Was the questionnaire sent out to industry? Do we understand why there is not much input about industrial involvement? Amy, Juan: This was sent only to OA members. Fotis: Only 2 members coming from industry and probably none responded to the questionnaire. Amy: Noted the Allotrope foundation: http://www.allotrope.org. It is an international association of pharmaceutical and biotech companies dedicated to the building of a “Laboratory Framework” to improve efficiency in data acquisition, archiving, and management. Good to investigate any links.
        • Walter: Action Fotis: Keep this agenda item in the next meetings and also for the Tokyo OA closed meeting.
    • Other background info
  4. TAB Report and "An adoption phase for RDA WGs?" document, Andrew Treloar TAB co-chair
    • Document link (document prepared inside the TAB workspace - access by TAB members only)
    • Andrew presented the document.
      • Main point: What happens after a WG finishes? The document proposes an optional adoption phase. The document was Oked from TAB with some tweaks. What OAB thinks about it?
    • Juan opens the floor for comments:
      • Juan: we cannot leave a WG without anything after its end. Aaron: I would agree.
      • Mark: Time limit for such Adoption Groups (AGs)? Risk: Perpetual groups. WGs spawn off the AGs. Juan: Perpetual is not bad at all if active and supporting the output! Stephen: Will this allow revised recommendations? Juan: Yes. Not only recommendations, feedback overall. Andrew: If minor revision, then they can be handled in the AG. If major, then a new WG can be spawned.
      • Kevin: I think the distinction between groups is important. Some WGs may be well-placed to drive adoption of their outputs. Some might need very different people to do that - perhaps an existing IG on some occasions
      • Walter: Support the proposal in spirit. But need to be careful. WGs should have adoption potential as part of their mandate. If they do not achieve adoption, we may have to shut them down. If they do achieve adoption, it would be fine to use the AGs. Andrew: Yes, there should be development and adoption phase inside the WG itsself. But then the adoption phase needs to continue after the end of the WG. Kevin:  a WG should get enough adoption to show value in their outputs, but that could be a long way from the ideal level of adoption that could be achieved. Mark: Missions and roles of the two groups/phases need to be clear.
      • Stefan: Sustaining/sustainability group better word, as adoption implies instantaneous/short time action.
      • Fabrizio: Experience from ACM: WGs work for many years: Once a year there is check point: Peer review.  And then corrective actions or possibly close the WG. I would propose something along these lines for RDA also. Mark: Like the idea of periodic review.
    • Juan: Next steps: This item won't be resolved at this meeting. Andrew: The next path: WG/IG chairs get a chance to comment next week (at the WG/IG chairs meeting 8-9). More input from OAB members either via the next meeting and/or off-line via e-mail. After that wrap all the comments and provide an updated document late January. Juan: Agree on mulitple channels and overall procedue.
    • Action: Include this in the January agenda and circulate a message for further comments.
  5. OAB election plan - Walter - Juan
    • Elections process document 
      • Walter introduces the document stating that there were also comments before the meeting. But most of them are about fine-tuning. Also explains that they kept the OA=OAB until the 36 OA members limit reached in Q3 2015. Current plan: Call for nominations before end of the year, due in end of January. 30 day period until the plenary. Meet the candidates in Tokyo and election similar with TAB ending after the plenary. If this plan is agreed, we need to conclude with the document very soon.
      • Walter opens the floor for comments:
        • On a related question by Fab Walter exlains that the OAB will be elected among the OA members to conduct the business between plenaries. Like an executive committee. 
        • Mark: In Fab's e-mail, there was an interesting point on whether the OAB members represent their organisations or the OA? I think it is the OA! Juan: Yes the OA. An executive to work for the OA. Workforce of volunteers among the big group. BTW, OAB meetings will remain open for OA members.
        • Kevin: I'm broadly content with the proposed process. In response to one comment, I think it is useful to have the open Q&A session
        • Mark: Also Jamie's point of deferring the elections after the Value and Engagement group has concluded its work. Walter: I was going to raise the issue once we were clear on the document. Because the document and the timing are two different things. Not seen the necessity to hold off. In parallel. Have an OAB to respond to Jamie's group and take the conclusions forward. But in any case presuming that the document from Jamie will be ready for Tokyo. Kevin: I'm with Walter on the timing. There will always seem to be a reason to delay. We should move to elections and react to the group's outputs and other events as they come up.
        • Colin: do you expect different OA people to cycle on and off the OAB, or the same people to repeat? If the latter, is that a problem? If so, should that be limited? Juan: Yes. Cycle. Half every other year, if we get enough volunteers.
        • Juan: Ross's point also important: Currently OA  does not represent the balance we would like - i.e. not enough industry participation. So if we elect the OAB from OA, we may not get the balance that we want. Think about it and maybe leave spaces open for industry. Consider this in the document.
        • Mark: Impressed with the OA agenda and discussions! OA come to maturity and addressing important issues. Start thinking about subcomittees to address such issues. Sub-committees may have lessend the need for an OAB. That said, there needs to be a formal Executive organisational representation to Council and RDA at large. So conflicting between two views: Vital to have OAB but also keep the conversation for OA, not only in the background but also driving things. Juan: Yes, need to remain inclusive. Walter: Yes, that is why we waited OA> 3*OAB. In addition, OAB meetings open. But also a question of responsibility. When we have the OAB constituted, then OAB members chairs of sub-committees with extra OA members. Also a system with this document so that OAB would not be static. Cyclying, balancing, etc. OAB appoint seat between elections, e.g. for private sector space. Flexibility to manage the issue between elections. Balacing criteria: difficult to imagine to fill in all positions, e.g. private sector. So, I think it would be good to proceed as planned.
        • Stefan: Also conflicted about the elections: Agree with Kevin on not delaying. But on the other hand: what is the document: is it about the guiding document for elections? There are some statements which are worrying. e.g. balancing criteria. In US may have even legal implications! So again, how is this document considered? If the latter, careful revision. Juan: Already the same procedure in the TAB document. Such documents are not formal in the legal sense. Only the AoA are legal document. Mark: Yes, RDA Foundation explicitly distinct from RDA Global from a legal viewpoint. So no impact on the legal statutes. But valid points on balancing criteria which remains challenging.
        • Fotis: The orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document also talks about elections [link]: this document will need to be updated when process is agreed! Juan: maybe remove the elections part from the other document.
        • Walter: Action: Juan, Walter to meet on Friday and review all the comments on-line and in the call. Come up with a next version. Walter: Is there anyone who is in favour of delay? Juan: None besides Jamie. Ross had some reservations but ok now. Agreed: New version soon out and send it to all. Mark: to join the Friday call.
        • Action: When sending out the updated document, ask once again all whether to go ahead. UPDATED DOCUMENT AFTER THE MEETING
    • Summary from previous meeting
      • Election overall plan: 11 members will be elected + one of OAB co-chairs will stay for a year (12 in total). And then the OAB will elect a chair among its members. And in a year we will replace the veteran chair who will step down. From the 11 elected, there will be 5 to stay for one year and 6 for two years. OAB memebrs can run again.
      • Balance criteria for OAB elections - To be discussed
      • Secretary General proposed to have an Elections Committee from the secretariat to support the election process (for all groups). This election is only for OA members, but would otherwise follow the common election process.
      • Timeline: Formal call for nominations (similar to TAB processs) will be issued somewhere in December, with a deadline at the end of January 2016. There will be a meet the candidates session at P7 and an e-election (as with TAB) after that.
    • Background:
      • Document discussed in previous meetings.
      • The orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]: this document will need to be updated when process is agreed!
  6. AoB
    1. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
    2. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members
    3. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter
      • Draft final report prepared. When Council adopts it, then Mark and secretariat will develop action plans toSummary from Paris meeting:
    4. Future plenaries and secretariat updates
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
          • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
        • Plenary 8 - New: Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week. Mark: Most probably will be in the Denver area.
        • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Short news from secretariat- Mark, Fotis
        • All members have either paid their dues for 2015! Invoices for 2016 have been sent out by RDA Virtual Finance Office subcontracted to a UK accounting firm (PEM).
        • Apologies for the initial PEM e-mails, which did not refer clearly to RDA. However, they have been resent. In addition: Action Fotis to sent a message to OAB to clarify this: watch for the PEM message.
        • Other:
          • RDA foundation accepted as a charity
          • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: 3450 members in November 2015 .
          • Call for nominations for the Council will be open until the end of December. Seniors state people needed. Not meant to represent a country, discipline or anything. More to look after the vision & mission and sustainability of RDA. More a Strategic than an governance body. 3 members rotate every year.  This year it is Ross, Beth and Tony. Good nominations needed to cover all perspectives, e.g. from this group to represent the Organisational perspectives. Nominations to be sent to Claire McLaughlin.
    5. Next OAB Meetings
      • From January 2016 agree on the first week of the month.
      • Next meetings: Week of January 11th, Week of February 1st, March 1 or 2 at P7 Japan
      • Action Fotis: Circulate doodle. 

 

 

Original agenda

San Francisco (U.S.A. - California) Wednesday, 2 December 2015, 15:00:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado) Wednesday, 2 December 2015, 16:00:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (U.S.A. - District of Columbia) Wednesday, 2 December 2015, 18:00:00 EST UTC-5 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Wednesday, 2 December 2015, 23:00:00 GMT UTC
Amsterdam (Netherlands) Thursday, 3 December 2015, 00:00:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Thursday, 3 December 2015, 01:00:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Thursday, 3 December 2015, 08:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Thursday, 3 December 2015, 10:00:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Thursday, 3 December 2015, 12:00:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Wednesday, 2 December 2015, 23:00:00    

 

Gotomeeting link:  https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/487642517

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 487-642-517
Dial in numbers: United States +1 (224) 501-3216, Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9087 3604, Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9350, Denmark (Long distance): +45 69 91 80 05, Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 931 58 1746, France (Long distance): +33 (0) 182 880 780, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7211, Ireland (Long distance): +353 (0) 15 290 180, Italy (Long distance): +39 0 699 26 68 58, Netherlands (Long distance): +31 (0) 208 908 267, New Zealand (Long distance): +64 9 442 7358, Norway (Long distance): +47 21 54 32 44, Spain (Long distance): +34 911 23 0850, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 20 3713 5028

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicarregui
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: 2-3 members will be joining with the new year.
    • Curently the OA is composed of 34 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 39 members in total.
  3. OAB clustering/mapping report - Amy Nurnberger
  4. TAB Report and "An adoption phase for RDA WGs?" document, Andrew Treloar TAB co-chair
  5. OAB election plan - Walter - Juan
    • Elections process document 
    • Summary from previous meeting
      • Election overall plan: 11 members will be elected + one of OAB co-chairs will stay for a year (12 in total). And then the OAB will elect a chair among its members. And in a year we will replace the veteran chair who will step down. From the 11 elected, there will be 5 to stay for one year and 6 for two years. OAB memebrs can run again.
      • Balance criteria for OAB elections - To be discussed
      • Secretary General proposed to have an Elections Committee from the secretariat to support the election process (for all groups). This election is only for OA members, but would otherwise follow the common election process.
      • Timeline: Formal call for nominations (similar to TAB processs) will be issued somewhere in December, with a deadline at the end of January 2016. There will be a meet the candidates session at P7 and an e-election (as with TAB) after that.
    • Background:
      • Document discussed in previous meetings.
      • The orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]: this document will need to be updated when process is agreed!
  6. AoB
    1. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
    2. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members
      • How does OAB contribute to RDA and how orgnisations receive benefts being members?
        • Background: Discussion in the past and open action on reviewing the list of benefits RDA receive
        • Agreement in the previous meeting: An OAB sub-group will work on the OM engagement to report back to OAB.
        • Group members: Jamie Shiers-EIROForum (Chair), Mark Parsons (RDA SG), Cynthia Hudson Vitale, Colin Elman, Robert Quick, Fabrizio Gagliardi
        • Wok will start soon. Action Fotis to create a sub-group workspace.
    3. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter
      • Draft final report prepared. When Council adopts it, then Mark and secretariat will develop action plans toSummary from Paris meeting:
    4. Future plenaries and secretariat updates
      • Future plenaries update
        • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
          • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
        • Plenary 8 - New: Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week. Mark: Most probably will be in the Denver area.
        • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Short news from secretariat- Mark, Kathy, Fotis
        • All members have either paid their dues fpr 2015! Invoices for 2016 have been sent out by RDA Virtual Finance Office subcontracted to a UK accounting firm (PEM).
        • RDA foundation accepted as a charity
        • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: 3450 members in November 2015 .
        • Call for nominations for the Council will be open until the end of December. Seniors state people needed. Not meant to represent a country, discipline or anything. More to look after the vision & mission and sustainability of RDA. More a Strategic than an governance body. 3 members rotate every year.  This year it is Ross, Beth and Tony. Good nominations needed to cover all perspectives, e.g. from this group to represent the Organisational perspectives. Nominations to be sent to Claire McLaughlin.
    5. Next OAB Meetings
      • From January 2016 agree on a day of the month, e.g. last Wednesday of the month, to have the monthly calls
      • Proposal by chairs: Week of January 4th, Week of February 1st, March 1 or 2 at P7 Japan