OAB May 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda and draft minutes

Thursday 28 May 2015, 9 pm UTC

(5:00 pm -Washington DC, USA,  11:00 pm-Central European Time, 6:00am-Tokyo (Friday 29), Japan, 7:00 am (Friday 29)-Canberra, Australia, 9:00am (Friday 29) Wellington, New Zeland

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/487109101

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 487-109-101
Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9373,Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9091 7605,Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 942 59 9121, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7208, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 330 221 0096,United States (Long distance): +1 (213) 493-0619,France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 585. More phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/669330013/numbersdisplay.html

Draft minutes

  1. Call to Order
    • Present: Amy Nurnberger, Andrew Treloar, Jill Kowalchuk, John Towns, Juan Bicarregui, Kathy Fontaine, Nick Jones, Ross Wilkinson, Siddeswara Guru, Thomas Runge, Walter Stewart and Fotis Karayannis (secretariat).
  2. Roll Call
    • No new members since April. 28 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members=33 members. When 36 members reached, we would need election for a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from San Diego - Approved.
    • Minutes from April call - To be approved in the next meeting.
      • Open actions:
        • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
        • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
        • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
        • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
        • Fotis to include in the agenda an item on how OAB is willing to contribute to the RDA outputs review
        • OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen Walter) to prepare a short bulleted memo on the OAB involvement in the outputs process
        • Walter to bring when ready the strategic planning consultation survey results to OAB for comments and discussion.
  4. Strategic Planning update - Walter
    • Future Directions Planning organic group
      • NEW: The survey is still open. Fill it in and disseminate it!
      • Fotis: According to a newsletter signed by Mark sent out on Tuesday 26th, the deadline to fill the survey is the end of this week (and of the month), to allow some preliminary processing starting on the 1st of June and provide some preliminary feedback to the Council meeting on the 5th and steering group meeting on the 6th.
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen, Walter)
    • Walter: Introduction:
      • Adoption and approval role of OAB: Juan-Walter already reported to the Council, that it does not make sense to just provide opinion at the end. Should be invoved from the start and along the way of WGs work. Kick off the discussion today, and continue in the next OA calls. Invite Andrew to explain the process for WG/IGs from start to the end. Hear to Andrew and comment where/how can OAB be involved in the process.
    • Andrew on starting WGs:
      • First of all, this issue was discussed at the last Council meeting and also TAB one last night and will be discussed at the next f2f TAB meeting in Karlsruhe in June.
      • The on kickstarting a WG/IG: Any member of RDA can create a case statement/charter (WG: case statement, IG: charter); When completed this is uploaded for community review in the RDA webspace; Then TAB review which results in some feedbcak to the proposers; In most cases proposers are asked to update the case statement/charter; then usually aprpoved and goes to Council for approval;
      • What the TAB reviewers do: sanity check on whether the case statement/charter furthers the mission of RDA, reduces barriers to data interoperability, on whether the right groupsare involved, with broad geographical/domain spread, whether the outputs are achievable and if it is the right kind of outputs; Also map it in the 2D clusterring map; whether there is already something similar; And finally whether there is a market demand for the outputs;
      • Question: Walter: How much time for community review: Andrew: 4 weeks. Walter: Proposal: Discuss the case statements/charters in the OAB meetings. Yes by the majority. Kathy: The secretariat is acting as an "editor" in review process. Juan: Maybe there could be categories or specific set of questions, e.g. technical (for TAB) and adoption-related (for OAB).
      • Walter: Ask for volunteer in OAB to be the champion for presenting the case statement and/or providing some feedback/reviews. Better to ask for volunteers for each one, once we know the topic; OAB to provide comments and feed the community review process. The notes from the OAB meeting can go into the area of the community review. Action: Fotis/Walter to ask OA for volunteers for champions to drive this process.
    • Andrew on the work of the WG/IGs during their lifetime and on adoption:
      • OA members usually have complementary to the TAB perspectives; e.g. less interested in the technical details and more interested on the adoption/usefulness for their organisaitons or on the integration with something else. So the OAB may want to consider OA liaisons for each groups to work together with the TAB liaisons.  Fotis: Does TAB invite WG/IG chairs to present/defend their case statements/charters during the TAB calls. Andrew: Not really. Kathy: May be invited ad-hoc for specific issues.
    • Walter on the consensus exercise at the WG conclusion:
      • Secretariat runs the process on behalf of the Council. They ask the community for comments and summarise them for the Council including an adoption summary to allow them to understand whether the is broad consensus. Ross: Because of OAB's adoption role; the Council would be very interested to hear their views then; Especially not to allow results to be driven by a specific org view point. Action: Check W3C rules on this.
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif's written report
    • Written report (explained by Fotis): As reported in the previous meeting the group has been setup and already some initial ideas have been discussed. On the substance there have been discussions on whether the TAB 2D clustering axes should be also used for OAB or go for another approach with new axes. A questionnaire is also being drafted that should be finalised in the next days. The next meeting of the group will take place on June 10th where all open issues will be discussed, as there are different views and it may not be easy to converge. In any case a light solution is preferred, requiring weeks, rather than months.
    • Ross: Probably it makes sense to have different axes from TAB, as focus is on adoption and not on technical aspects;
    • More information:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document for discussion; RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • Walter - Introduction:
      • OAB getting close to the 36 members (3 times the 12-member OAB). So soon will be needing elections. Document: one of the chairs to step down and the other chair 1 year later; Election probably to take place somewhere between plenary 6 and 7. 
      • Fotis: The process doc says that elections take place at the plenaries. Walter: When are TAB elections taking place? Andrew: Around the plenary (open before and close after); the elections are on-line and there is vote button; Ross: RDA principle: remote participation should be allowed, so can take place in between plenaries. 
      •  Juan: Chairs can be re-elected. Need to check for how many times (number of max terms).
      • John: Mind of the 1 vs. 2 years terms which may give the wrong impression. And also new OAB members may not have the chance to stand as candidates for the election (people may not know them). Walter: Good point: Proposal: Election to take place around the second plenary after reaching 36 members.
    • [The issue of OA benefits raised in San Diego (open action) may also be discussed here].
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed?
    • Discussion: Nick: Happy to continue like this. No other feedback.
    • Amy: Did we get any comments back on the open meeting?
    • Ross: Adoption day in San Diego was successful; It is important to OAB. Capture points from this meeting; OA benefits; they can see the adoption path for their organisations much earlier!
    • Fotis: The issue of reviewing the OA benefits raised in San Diego (open action) may also be discussed at the P6 closed meeting.
    • Action: Ross/Juan: Check wtih Patrick (P6 PC chair) the plans for Paris adoption day.
    • Action Fotis: Include this item in the June agenda meeting for further discussion. Check if there was feedback from the open meeting in San Diego.
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, Dates and Venue now fixed. 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington or Baltimore
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
      • 14 members have paid their dues until the 10th of May. Kind reminder for the rest.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • June meeting to be held in the week of 22nd of June. A doodle to be circulated for the 22, 23 and 26 of June, after the outcome of the doodle on the 2 vs. 3 cycles http://doodle.com/f49328r62h5w268q (3 cycle schedule more friendly for Japan-Australia-New Zeland).
    • Discuss about the a July meeting in June.
  12. Termination 10:12pm.

 

 

Original agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
    • No new members since April
    • 28 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members=33 members. When 36 members reached, we would need election for a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from San Diego - for approval
    • Minutes from April call - (to be approved in the next meeting)
      • Open actions:
        • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
        • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
        • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
        • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
        • Fotis to include in the agenda an item on how OAB is willing to contribute to the RDA outputs review
        • OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen Walter) to prepare a short bulleted memo on the OAB involvement in the outputs process
        • Walter to bring when ready the strategic planning consultation survey results to OAB for comments and discussion.
  4. Strategic Planning update - Walter
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen, Walter)
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif's written report
    • Written report: As reported in the previous meeting the group has been setup and already some initial ideas have been discussed. On the substance there have been discussions on whether the TAB 2D clustering axes should be also used for OAB or go for another approach with new axes. A questionnaire is also being drafted that should be finalised in the next days. The next meeting of the group will take place on June 10th where all open issues will be discussed, as there are different views and it may not be easy to converge. In any case a light solution is preferred, requiring weeks, rather than months.
    • More information:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document for discussion
    • RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • [The issue of OA benefits raised in San Diego (open action) may also be discussed here].
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed.
      • Skeleton agenda - Initial agenda items?
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington or Baltimore
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
      • 14 members have paid their dues until the 10th of May. Kind reminder for the rest.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • June meeting to be held in the week of 22nd of June. A doodle to be circulated for the 22, 23 and 26 of June, after the outcome of the doodle on the 2 vs. 3 cycles http://doodle.com/f49328r62h5w268q (3 cycle schedule more friendly for Japan-Australia-New Zeland).
  12. Termination

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.