OAB June 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda and draft minutes

Friday 26 June 2015, 6 am UTC

  • Thursday 25 June 23:00 PDT-California, USA
  • Friday 26 June 02:00 EDT, Washington DC, USA,
  • Friday 26 June 7am BST, London UK
  • Friday 26 June 8am CEST, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Bonn
  • Friday 26 June 9am EEST, Athens-Helsinki
  • Friday 26 June, 15:00 JST, Tokyo
  • Friday 26 June, 16:00 AEST, Canberra
  • Friday 26 June, 18:00 NZST, Wellington

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/201914205

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 201-914-205
Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9373,Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9091 7605,Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 942 59 9121, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7208, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 330 221 0096,United States (Long distance): +1 (213) 493-0619,France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 585. More phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/201914205/numbersdisplay.html

 

EU-AU friendly

Draft Minutes

  1. Call to Order. Present: Juan (chair) Kevin, Malcolm, Mustapha, Patrice, Ross, Tiziana, Wolfram,  and Fotis (secretariat)
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK and  Indiana University, USA.
    • Note: we now have 30 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. We have previously discussed that when 36 members are reached, we would start the process to elect a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from April call - For approval. APPROVED.
    • Minutes from May call - to be approved in the next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
          • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
          • OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen Walter) to prepare a short bulleted memo on the OAB involvement in the outputs process
          • Walter to bring when ready the strategic planning consultation survey results to OAB for comments and discussion.
        • From May meeting:
          • Recurring item: OAB Chairs/RDA secretariat to ask OA for volunteers for champions to drive this process.
          • Amy and Siddesware to prepare the Metadata Standards Catalog WG (Case Statement)
          • Juan to check on the W3C rules on consensus forming for their WGs
          • Ross/Juan: Check wtih Patrick (P6 PC chair) the plans for Paris adoption day.
            • Ross: The aim in Paris has an adoption flavour but more focus of industry involvement.
          • Fotis: Include the Paris OA agenda item in the June agenda meeting for further discussion. Check if there was feedback from the open meeting in San Diego. (Answer: No specific input recorded in the minutes from the San Diego meeting) - Closed
            • Juan: Plan to have the same structure as with the previous plenaries, on the first day of the agenda.
  4. Strategic Planning update - Walter
    • Future Directions Planning organic group
      • The survey has been closed. Update on main directions of responses received.
      • Ross: Where the broad group need to be involved as well where the secretariat and other groups should focus. The group will report in Paris.
      • 3 areas identified: Communication, Coordination and Engagement. Where do we need to do more work with the Governance bodies. More work on identifying data ambassadors/champions for disciplines/engagement. Speak within the disciplines and come back to RDA with feedback. Improving our communication planning. Improving communicaiton within RDA and the RDA regions. Growth: Plenaries together with other activities. E.g Next year September common plenary with CODATA/WDS.
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen, Walter)
    • Main points agreed in the May call:
      • OAB to be involved during the whole lifetime of Working/Interest Groups (not only  at the end)
      • The OAB can be involved in reviewing the case statements/charters from their perspective (which is complementary to the TAB one; OAB more interested on the adoption / usefulness for their organisaitons or on the integration with something else.
      • The OAB can thus feed the community review process (e.g. the notes from the OAB meeting can go into the area of the community review)
      • Volunteers/champions are needed for each new case statement/charter to drive the process from the OAB side
      • OAB may thus want to consider OA liaisons for each groups to work together with the TAB liaisons.
      • OAB needs to care for not allowing results to be driven by a specific org view point
      • Juan to report on W3C rules on consensus forming.
    • June meeting inputs:
      • Juan: OA significant role in coorindating outputs/adoption. Summarised the May conclusions.
      • Ross: This is related to the work on the OA clustering/mapping that Leif is leading. OA to help with categorising adoption and check about adoption potential. Categorisation in term of data providers, users, supporters in this regard.
      • Tiziana agrees. Involving early the OA to assess the potential impact of the new WG/IGs. At the end the OA will help with adoption. All new OA members should commit to help with adoption when joining. 
      • Patricia: Assessing the success of the adoption of the outputs. How about technical support on the outputs? .
      • Ross: TAB does not provide technical support per se. This is more a community activity.
      • Fotis: In RDA-Europe 3 project starting in September there will be an activity to provide technical support by a training team (with senior and junior teams)
      • Mustapha: The sustainability of the outputsis is actually the most difficult part! Each WG/IGs should work on this!
      • Kevin: The support varies with WGs depending on the outputs. E.g. if software it requires much more effort.
      • Juan: Conclusion: Ask the group agreed in April to work in an open way. Ross to kick-off. Fotis to create a wiki page. When needed, involve the WG/IGs chairs and TAB, in particular DDRI.
        • Action: Fotis to create a wiki page for the OAB group.
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif's written report
    • Written report from previous meeting: As reported in the previous meeting the group has been setup and already some initial ideas have been discussed. On the substance there have been discussions on whether the TAB 2D clustering axes should be also used for OAB or go for another approach with new axes. A questionnaire is also being drafted that should be finalised in the next days. The next meeting of the group will take place on June 10th where all open issues will be discussed, as there are different views and it may not be easy to converge. In any case a light solution is preferred, requiring weeks, rather than months.
    • NEW: Questionnaire on OAB clustering:  https://rd-alliance.org/rda-oas-questionnaire.html
      • ACTION: OAB members to fill in by 15 July!
      • 5 entries up to now.
      • ACTION: Fotis to send reminders
    • More information:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document discussed in previous meeting. Also the orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • Proposal from May meetng: Election to take place around (starting before and finishing after the plenary) the second plenary after reaching 36 members.
    • Juan: The OAB elected group (12 people) will work more heavily. Not intend to exclude anyone. In TAB there should be a balance: region, discipline/expertise. So maybe we should have the same: region, type of organisation (data users, providers, etc.), industry/academic. Kevin: to consider also the Gender.
    • Ross: Representation from industry: SME or Large.
    • Fotis: Practical issues to be dealt with. E.g. organic groups/mailing lists. Juan: change as little as possible. Maybe wise to keep one open group. Discuss in time.
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed.
    • Discuss agenda items
      • Juan:
        • Open meeting: Will have more SMEs from Paris.
          • Adoption and sustainability item.
          • Panel: Engagement of private sector/SMEs. SMEs boundaries. What's worth and what's not.
        • Closed meeting:
          • Election process and meeting with Council.
          • Report/Health check on WG/IGs:
            • Malcolm: As OAB will be getting involved in the ongoing process of WG and IG activity, it can consider a dashboard about the progress/health of each or when they were last looked at. Ross/Kevin: Flag issues that need attention, rather than regular business report.
            • ACTION: Ask all OAB members to volunteer for championing WG/IGs for the Paris meeting (OA liaisons)
            • ACTION: Get the number of members of each group. Also which people are in the same groups. Maybe anonymised. Possibly also the number.
        • Action: ALL to send more input.
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington or Baltimore
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
    • No major news since previous meeting.
      • 14 members have paid their dues until the 10th of May. Kind reminder for the rest.
        • ACTION: Fotis to review latest bank account statement and come up with individual reminders.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • July meeting
      • Walter will be chairing the meeting. ACTION: Walter to propose a week/dates when he is available and Fotis to circulate a doodle.
  12. Termination

Original agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK and  Indiana University, USA.
    • Note: we now have 30 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. We have previously discussed that when 36 members are reached, we would start the process to elect a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from April call - For approval
    • Minutes from May call - to be approved in the next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
          • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
          • OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen Walter) to prepare a short bulleted memo on the OAB involvement in the outputs process
          • Walter to bring when ready the strategic planning consultation survey results to OAB for comments and discussion.
        • From May meeting:
          • Recurring item: OAB Chairs/RDA secretariat to ask OA for volunteers for champions to drive this process.
          • Amy and Siddesware to prepare the Metadata Standards Catalog WG (Case Statement)
          • Juan to check on the W3C rules on consensus forming for their WGs
          • Ross/Juan: Check wtih Patrick (P6 PC chair) the plans for Paris adoption day.
          • Fotis: Include the Paris OA agenda item in the June agenda meeting for further discussion. Check if there was feedback from the open meeting in San Diego. (Answer: No specific input recorded in the minuSan Diego meeting)
  4. Strategic Planning update - Walter
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Stephen, Walter)
    • Main points agreed in the May call:
      • OAB to be involved during the whole lifetime of Working/Interest Groups (not only  at the end)
      • The OAB can be involved in reviewing the case statements/charters from their perspective (which is complementary to the TAB one; OAB more interested on the adoption / usefulness for their organisaitons or on the integration with something else.
      • The OAB can thus feed the community review process (e.g. the notes from the OAB meeting can go into the area of the community review)
      • Volunteers/champions are needed for each new case statement/charter to drive the process from the OAB side
      • OAB may thus want to consider OA liaisons for each groups to work together with the TAB liaisons.
      • OAB needs to care for not allowing results to be driven by a specific org view point
      • Juan to report on W3C rules on consensus forming.
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif's written report
    • Written report from previous meeting: As reported in the previous meeting the group has been setup and already some initial ideas have been discussed. On the substance there have been discussions on whether the TAB 2D clustering axes should be also used for OAB or go for another approach with new axes. A questionnaire is also being drafted that should be finalised in the next days. The next meeting of the group will take place on June 10th where all open issues will be discussed, as there are different views and it may not be easy to converge. In any case a light solution is preferred, requiring weeks, rather than months.
    • NEW: Questionnaire on OAB clustering:  https://rd-alliance.org/rda-oas-questionnaire.html
      • ACTION: OAB members to fill in by 15 July!
    • More information:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document discussed in previous meeting. Also the orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • Proposal from May meetng: Election to take place around (starting before and finishing after the plenary) the second plenary after reaching 36 members.
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed.
    • Discuss agenda items
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington or Baltimore
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
      • 14 members have paid their dues until the 10th of May. Kind reminder for the rest.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • July meeting
  12. Termination

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.