OAB July 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

Thursday 30 July 2015, 2 pm UTC

  • Thursday 30 July 7:00am PDT-California, USA
  • Thursday 30 July 10:00am EDT, Washington DC, USA,
  • Thursday 30 July 3pm BST, London UK
  • Thursday 30 July 4pm CEST, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Bonn
  • Thursday 30 July 5pm EEST, Athens-Helsinki
  • Thursday 26 July, 11:00pm JST, Tokyo
  • Friday 27 July, 12:00am AEST, Canberra
  • Friday 27 July, 02:00am NZST, Wellington

EU-US friendly

Draft Minutes

  1. Call to Order.  Present: Adam Farquhar, Amy Nurnberger, Cynthia Hudson Vitale, Fabrizio Gagliardi, Francesca Arcara, Kathleen Fontaine (RDA secretariat), Larry Lannom, Peter Doorn, Thomas Runge, Walter Stewart (chair), Fotis Karagiannis (RDA secretariat-OAB liaision),
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: The Netherlands e-Science Center.
    • Note: we now have 31 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 36 members reached. Walter explained the background.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from May call - Approved
    • Minutes from June call - to be approved in the next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
          • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
        • From May meeting:
          • Recurring item: OAB Chairs/RDA secretariat to ask OA for volunteers for champions to drive this process.
          • Juan to check on the W3C rules on consensus forming for their WGs
        • From June meeting:
          • Fotis to create a wiki page for the OAB sub-group on outputs, adoption and consensus forming.
          • Patrice to review PID collections WG case statement from the OAB perspective.
          • Fotis to follow-up with Amy and Guru on the Metadata Standards WG review (communicating the OAB comments from previous meeting).
          • OAB members to prepare for volunteering championing WG/IGs during the Paris meeting (as OA liaisons)
          • Secretariat to get the number of members of each group. Also possibly which people are in the same groups.
            • Secretariat discussed this issue without converging. Main issue is that such metrics may be misleading.
            • Wolfram Horstmann sent graphical statistics: Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4
  4. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter
    • Summary from previous meeting:
      • 3 areas identified: Communication, Coordination and Engagement. More work is needed with the Governance bodies: More work on identifying data ambassadors/champions for disciplines/geographical areas. Speak within the disciplines and come back to RDA with feedback. Improving our communication planning. Improving communicaiton within RDA and the RDA regions. Growth: Plenaries together with other activities. E.g Next year September common plenary with CODATA/WDS.
      • Ross: Where the broad group need to be involved as well where the secretariat and other groups should focus. The group will report in Paris.
    • Walter: No major development since June.
    • Next steps: 3 webinars per region to update the community on the Future Directions planning process and to get their feedback. Then the main points to be presented in Paris.
    • Kathy: Logistics not available yet. Who should we ask for agenda/speakers? Action Walter: Ask for an agenda. Walter: OA to particiapte but also encourage everybody to participate. Action all: Widely share the information re. the webinars. Call for participation news item: https://rd-alliance.org/join-future-directions-webinars-contribute-rda-f...
      • Dates:
        • 24 August — 12:00 Melbourne Time (02:00 UTC
        • 3 September — 14:00 Paris Time (12:00 UTC)
        • 9 September — 13:00 New York Time (17:00 UTC)
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, , Stephen, Walter)
    • Walter: Sub-group met on the week of the 27th of July (Amy, Stephen Walter). Sent a summary doc with recommendations yesterday night. Link
    • Points:
      • The OAB should recommend the following regarding the OAB role in outcome adoption:

        • For each proposed case statement, the OAB should appoint a minimum of two reviewers from amongst the OA representatives to review the proposal from the perspective of potential impact and likely adoption and from the perspective of ensuring no undue organisational bias.  While OA reviewers may have technical questions, those issue are the responsibility of the TAB.
        • The review process should be standardized with an agreed set of questions to streamline the process for the reviewers and to bring consistency to the review process.
        • Reviewers should have access to a training and orientation resource to prepare them for the function.
        • Reviewers should be selected to represent a diverse set of organisations.
        • The OAB should receive a progress report from the TAB liaison person on each working group at the 6 and 12 month mark and the opportunity to respond to progress from an organisational perspective.
        • Were Council to establish a process for formal endorsement of completed outcomes, the OAB should participate in any assessment process  with  particular responsibility for assessing likely adoption and likely impact of adoption.
        • The OAB should review adopted impacts on an on-going basis to assess when it is appropriate for the outcome to be updated to avoid a level of divergence in the use of the output that will begin to compromise interoperability.
      • In addition, the OAB co-chairs should express to Council the OAB’s deep concern that outcomes must be sustained and renewed.  There is currently no formal process for that process given that working groups stand down after 18 months.  The issue must be addressed
      • Discussion:
        • Larry: What is the meaning of bias in this case? Walter: Balanced, rather than promoting a single's organisation's viewpoint. 
        • Larry: With regards what happens with the recommendations over time, this may not be RDA's responsibility. Explains IETF model that could be used.
        • Cynthia: At St. Lewis we have adopted DTR and are in the process of adopting Dynamic CItation WG outputs. Are there any definitions around the adoption? Walter: Not much yet. We have to do so as part of the OAB review process (define questions, etc.) Encourage Cynthia to join the group to work on these.
        • Kathy: Comment from RDA secretariat today: This document is more for new WGs. Walter: Dealing with existing/on-going WGs at a case by case basis.
        • Adam: Caveat not to define the review questions too narrowly, but rather more broadly. Walter: Contribute to adoption, but not limit things for adoption.
      • Walter: Document approved by OAB and to be sent to TAB and Council for comments. Action: Walter to communicate the document to TAB and Council.
    • Background:
      • Wiki page with summary of main points discussed.
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
    • New recognised and endorsed groups:
    • Request for Comments (RFCs):
      • New WG/IGs:
        • NEW: PID Collections WG - Case Statement
          • Open action: Patrice to review this from the OAB perspective  work on this. No news from Patrice yet. Action: Fotis to send a reminder to Patrice.
          • Adam volunteered to act as a second reviewer. Action: Adam to review
        • Discussed in May: Metadata Standards Catalog WG - Case Statement
          • Guru sent comments in an e-mail. More technical. OAB members should be performing a review more relevant to the outputs and their adoption, while the TAB review is more technical. So complementary approaches. Kevin: MSC is not only interested in the metadata standards submitted by the RDA WGs (which may be a small number).
          • ACTION: Amy to send updated comments, taking into account the OAB comments wrt Guru's points.
        • Ethics and Social Aspects of Data (ESAD) IG  - Recognised & Endorsed
      • Recommendations (stay for around one month for comments)
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif
    • Wiki page
    • Written report from previous meeting: There have been discussions on whether the TAB 2D clustering axes should be also used for OAB or another approach with new axes should be used.
    • Walter defer discussion for the next call, as Leif was not present.
    • Fotis: Leif stated that he will review the entries received (see below) and then call for a new sub-group meeting.
    • More information:
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document discussed in previous meetings. Also the orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • Initial proposal and discussions from May and June meetngs:
      • Election to take place around the second plenary after reaching 36 members (starting before and finishing after the plenary, similarly with TAB on-line elections). 36 members now reached: Election in Japan.
      • Juan: The OAB elected group (12 people) will work more heavily. Not intend to exclude anyone. In TAB there should be a balance: region, discipline/expertise. So maybe we should have the same: region, type of organisation (data users, providers, etc.), industry/academic. Kevin: to consider also the Gender. Ross: Representation from industry: SME or Large.
      • Juan: The OAB doc says that the 12 vote for the chair but it may be reconsidered so that all vote for the chair
      • Fotis: Practical issues to be dealt with. E.g. organic groups/mailing lists. Juan: change as little as possible. Maybe wise to keep one open group. Discuss in time.
    • Next plans:
    • Walter: plan accepted by Council
      1. Overall Timing: Call for Nominations at Paris closed meeting and 
      2. Timing for staging candidates and election of Chairs and OAB
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed.
    • Inital plan to be discussed:
      • Closed meeting: Wednesday 23 September, 15:30-17:00 (tbc)
        • Proposed agenda: 4 main items
          1. Future Directions planning
          2. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus, esp. review process.
          3. OAB clustering/mapping exercise
          4. OAB election plan
        • Council to be present; 
        • Idea from last meeting: Report/Health check on WG/IGs:Malcolm: As OAB will be getting involved in the ongoing process of WG and IG activity, it can consider a dashboard about the progress/health of each or when they were last looked at. Ross/Kevin: Flag issues that need attention, rather than regular business report.
      • Open meeting: Thursday 24 September 11:00 - 12:30 (tbc), so as to allow the business people to attend (Experimentation day with posters from private sector on Thursday)
        • Open meeting sub-title: Private sector engagement in RDA
          • Discuss speakers/items
            • From last meeting: Engagement of private sector/SMEs. SMEs boundaries. What's worth and what's not
            • Adoption and sustainability issues
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington DC area.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). New: 4-7 April 2017. Fabrizio: Venue: Barcelo Sants Mark visited the venue during his recent EU tour.
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
    • No major news since previous meeting.
      • All members have either paid their dues or in the process of paying their dues (in communication with RDA secretariat). This is not the case for the new one.
      • New: RDA foundation applied for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics.
        • Now >3000 RDA individual members
      • UK accounting firm for accounting support - discussions on contract
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated).
  11. Next Meetings
    • Go for an August meeting: Action: Fotis to create a doodle for the weeks of August: 17th and 24th. US-Australia timezone.
  12. AoB: Early registration closes tomorrow. Termination: 3pm UTC.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/652225029

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 652-225-029
Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9373,Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9091 7605,Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 942 59 9121, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7208, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 330 221 0096,United States (Long distance): +1 (213) 493-0619,France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 585. More phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/201914205/numbersdisplay.html

Draft Agenda

  1. Call to Order.
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members: The Netherlands e-Science Center
    • Note: we now have 31 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 36 members reached.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from May call - to be approved
    • Minutes from June call - to be approved in the next meeting
      • Open actions:
        • From older meetings:
          • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs
          • Recurring item: Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
          • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
        • From May meeting:
          • Recurring item: OAB Chairs/RDA secretariat to ask OA for volunteers for champions to drive this process.
          • Juan to check on the W3C rules on consensus forming for their WGs
        • From June meeting:
          • Fotis to create a wiki page for the OAB sub-group on outputs, adoption and consensus forming.
          • Patrice to review PID collections WG case statement from the OAB perspective.
          • Fotis to follow-up with Amy and Guru on the Metadata Standards WG review (communicating the OAB comments from previous meeting).
          • OAB members to prepare for volunteering championing WG/IGs during the Paris meeting (as OA liaisons)
          • Secretariat to get the number of members of each group. Also possibly which people are in the same groups.
            • Secretariat discussed this issue without converging. Main issue is that such metrics may be misleading.
            • Wolfram Horstmann sent graphical statistics: Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4
  4. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter
    • Summary from previous meeting:
      • 3 areas identified: Communication, Coordination and Engagement. More work is needed with the Governance bodies: More work on identifying data ambassadors/champions for disciplines/geographical areas. Speak within the disciplines and come back to RDA with feedback. Improving our communication planning. Improving communicaiton within RDA and the RDA regions. Growth: Plenaries together with other activities. E.g Next year September common plenary with CODATA/WDS.
      • Ross: Where the broad group need to be involved as well where the secretariat and other groups should focus. The group will report in Paris.
    • Next step: 3 webinars per region to update the community on the Future Directions planning process and to get their feedback.
      • Dates:
        • 24 August — 12:00 Melbourne Time (02:00 UTC
        • 3 September — 14:00 Paris Time (12:00 UTC)
        • 9 September — 13:00 New York Time (17:00 UTC)
  5. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus - OAB Group (Amy, Juan, Leif, Ross, Stephen, Walter)
    • Wiki page with summary of main points discussed.
    • Sub-group meeting on the week of the 27th of July being investigated
  6. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Andrew - Fotis
  7. OAB clustering/mapping exercise - Leif
  8. OAB election plan - Walter
    • Document discussed in previous meetings. Also the orginal RDA Organisational and Affiliate Member process document [link]
    • Initial proposal and discussions from May and June meetngs:
      • Election to take place around the second plenary after reaching 36 members (starting before and finishing after the plenary, similarly with TAB on-line elections). 36 members now reached: Election in Japan.
      • Juan: The OAB elected group (12 people) will work more heavily. Not intend to exclude anyone. In TAB there should be a balance: region, discipline/expertise. So maybe we should have the same: region, type of organisation (data users, providers, etc.), industry/academic. Kevin: to consider also the Gender. Ross: Representation from industry: SME or Large.
      • Juan: The OAB doc says that the 12 vote for the chair but it may be reconsidered so that all vote for the chair
      • Fotis: Practical issues to be dealt with. E.g. organic groups/mailing lists. Juan: change as little as possible. Maybe wise to keep one open group. Discuss in time.
    • Next plans:
      1. Overall Timing
      2. Call for Nominations at Paris closed meeting
      3. Timing for staging candidates and election of Chairs and OAB
  9. Preparation for September OA meetings in Paris
    • Continue with the same setup: two-sessions, one open and one closed.
    • Inital plan to be discussed:
      • Closed meeting: Wednesday 23 September, 15:30-17:00 (tbc)
        • Proposed agenda: 4 main items
          1. Future Directions planning
          2. The role of OAB in reviewing outputs, driving adoption and forming consensus
          3. OAB clustering/mapping exercise
          4. OAB election plan
        • Council to be present; 
        • Idea from last meeting: Report/Health check on WG/IGs:Malcolm: As OAB will be getting involved in the ongoing process of WG and IG activity, it can consider a dashboard about the progress/health of each or when they were last looked at. Ross/Kevin: Flag issues that need attention, rather than regular business report.
      • Open meeting: Thursday 24 September 11:00 - 12:30 (tbc), so as to allow the business people to attend (Experimentation day with posters from private sector on Thursday)
        • Open meeting sub-title: Private sector engagement in RDA
          • Discuss speakers/items
            • From last meeting: Engagement of private sector/SMEs. SMEs boundaries. What's worth and what's not
            • Adoption and sustainability issues
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - USA, probably in Washington or Baltimore
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). New: 4-7 April 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Fotis
    • No major news since previous meeting.
      • All members have either paid their dues or in the process of paying their dues (in communication with RDA secretariat). This is not the case for the new one.
      • New: RDA foundation to applied for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics.
        • Now >3000 RDA individual members
      • UK accounting firm for accounting support - discussions on contract
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated).
  11. Next Meetings
    • August meeting?
  12. Termination

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.