OAB January 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

Thursday 22 January 2015, 1 pm UTC

(8:00 am- Washington DC, USA, 2:00 pm - Central European Time, 10:00pm - Tokyo, Japan, Friday 23 January 0:00 am (midnight) - Canberra, Australia)

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/669330013

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 669-330-013
Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9373,Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9091 7605,Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 942 59 9121, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7208, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 330 221 0096,United States (Long distance): +1 (213) 493-0619,France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 585. More phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/669330013/numbersdisplay.html

 

Draft minutes

Meeting chair - Juan Bicarregui

Present: Aaron Addison, Mustapha Mokrane, Eefke Smit, Leif Laaksonen, Jamie Shiers, Michael Witt, Phil Archer, Fotis  Karayannis, Kathy Fontaine, Mark Parsons, David Baker, Fabrizio Gagliardi, Stephen Wolff, Amy L. Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Siddeswara Guru, Dessi Kirilova, Walter Steward, Juan Bicaregui, Pilar Callau, Ross Wilkinson

  1. Call to Order

The meeting opened at 1:05pm UTC.

  1. Roll call and introductions
    • ​​Fotis named the new members after last meeting:
      1. Qualitative Data Repository (QDR), Syracuse University, USA
      2. CANARIE, Canada
      3. EGI.eu, The Netherlands
      4. LIBER - Association of European Research Libraries
  2. Minutes from previous meetings (for approval)
    • The Chair went through the actions from the last meeting minutes (available here).
    • The first (develop a questionnaire) was closed.
    • The second one on Andrew’s replacement for this meeting was left open.
    • The third and fourth actions on the benefits from the outputs adoption identifying targeted adopter organisations and success stories and on the targeted marketing for organizational membership will be followed up in the San Diego OAB (especially the closed meeting).
    • The minutes were approved without any comments.
  3. Business arising from the minutes
    • Fabrizio Gagliardi stated that 2 years after RDA started, more clarity is needed. RDA is not getting enough traction in the computer science world and in industry among others, and the governance is still vague. It is by now time to make a critical maturity review of the entire RDA structure. He said that he appreciated Fran’s message on this and the preparatory work for the San Diego Saturday Council Strategy consultation meeting (on the role of RDA, how it should be managed, etc). The Chair replied that indeed as part of OAB’s mandate is to advise the Council. He deferred to further discussion under agenda item 8. The co-chair Walter Stewart proposed to discuss this issue further if needed in the February call.

ACTION: Chairs-Fotis to include in the February OAB agenda the OAB input for the Council Strategy consultation meeting in San Diego.

Phil Archer also referred to the W3C processes available at http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/ and the Chair replied that RDA looked into that when creating its governance documents and that similar approaches are adopted.

The RDA Secretary General (SG) Mark Parsons stated that the Secretariat is in the process of compiling and further elaborating organisational and process documents (available here: https://rd-alliance.org/group/wiki/organisational-document.html# and in the OAB home page).

  1. RDA Outputs adoption survey - Walter Stewart (for discussion and approval)
    • The co-chair Walter Stewart reminded that he prepared a draft questionnaire on RDA outputs adoption available at https://www.rd-alliance.org/organisational-member-questionnaire-adoption and gave the background for that (to investigate the Organisational Members intentions on outputs adoption). With the help of Fotis who collected the comments in a separate document they went through the comments who were all integrated. The summary of comments document can be found here, which includes also how the comments were answered (in red). It was agreed that all OA members to complete the questionnaire by Friday 13 February 2015.

ACTION: OAB members to fill in the questionnaire by Friday 13 February.

  • It was also agreed that the next call where the first results are presented takes place in the week of 23 February 2015 and that Fotis creates a doodle.

ACTION: Chairs and Fotis to include in the agenda the presentation of the first results of the OAB questionnaire.

ACTION: Fotis to create a doodle for the next video call in the week of 23 February 2015

  1. Adoption Day plans - Kathy Fontaine (for information and discussion)

Kathy Fontaine, RDA US and RDA secretariat, gave an overview of the adoption day plans. She reminded that the meeting will take place at San Diego Supercomputing Center (SDSC) and that bus from Paradise Point hotel will be leaving at 8:30. She then went through the draft program with the confirmed talks including a keynote by Patrick Coquet, a brief overview of the RDA P4 outputs, the announcement of the US adoption call winners, and then a series of views by the adopters. https://www.rd-alliance.org/plenary-meetings/fifth-plenary/programme/adoption-day.html.  She also mentioned the afternoon program that Peter Wittenburg is working on the adoption by Large Scale Data Projects. On a related question who the adopters are, several institutes were mentioned including. EUDAT, CLARIN, CERN, DKRZ, DCOand Dryad. Fabrizio Gagliardi stated that real adopters are the ones outside RDA (not involved in running RDA), yet it is of course good if the internal ones eat their own dogfood. It was stated that DKRZ, CERN, DCO are all outsiders. A key point raised by Kathy Fontaine was that the adopters need to see successful examples and that building more and more examples and success stories is crucial. A database of examples is being considered to illustrate them easily. Jamie Shiers mentioned that he will follow-up with the CERN library people (IT-CIS, GS-SIS) about the potential use of DDRI. Kathy Fontaine then said that it is important that we are in charge of the expectations. RDA is an organisation for two years, but WGs are even less than two years. Then she closed stating that 4 more major data related products are expected before P6 (sometime after July).

  1. Plenary 5 OA(B) meeting agenda (for discussion and approval)

The Chair reminded that the topics proposed in the previous meeting were already included in the agenda for both the open and closed parts (see below):

  • Open part (for anyone interested):
    1. RDA outputs adoption survey results (to act as introduction to the panel that follows)
    2. Panel: Data interoperability challenges – Views from RDA Organisational Members
    3. Data Harvest report presentation
    4. Please provide your own suggestions for discussion
  • Closed part (Criterion for joining the closed part is to have the membership application or agreement completed)
    1. What can OAB do to drive adoption
    2. Relationship between OAB and TAB (also related to adoption)
    3. Future directions for RDA Working Groups (input from OA members about gaps in RDA work - problems that are not addressed by current RDA WGs)
    4. More discussion (possibly inviting TAB and Council members).
    5. Please provide your own suggestions for discussion

The following comments were then raised:

  • Rename the panel from data interoperability to data sharing challenges (as agreed also in the questionnaire). Agreed. ACTION: Chairs-Fotis.
  • To enter a more formal mode electing the OAB (Organisational Advisory Board) via a formal procedure and separate it from the OA (Organisational Assembly). It was stated however that in P3 it was decided that the OAB should remain the whole OA as long as the Organisational Members do not reach around 3 dozens. After that (where the OA will be quite big) the OAB will play the role of an executive committee of the whole. Still, if needed this can also be included in the agenda for San Diego.
  • It was also stated that a more formal approach for other governance bodies such as Council and TAB should be the case. The Chair and SG stated that this is already the case. There is related documentation and as of last month the full council with 9 members is appointed by the funding agencies (RDA Colloqium). The TAB is also fully elected as of the last plenary, while the relationship between Council and the RDA Foundation in the UK is also clarified. The only outstanding piece is the OAB which remains the full OA. It was also agreed that Mark Parsons prepares a presentation on RDA Governance.

ACTION: RDA SG Mark Parsons to create a set of slides for RDA governance (for next call and/or San Diego).

  • The Chair reminded that the main scope of the open OA meeting is sharing views among Organisational Members and that discussions should be facilitated and challenges brought forward. The Co-chair reminded that the first part of the meeting is open to attract new organizational members.

ACTION: Chairs-Fotis to include the objectives of each meeting clearly in the agenda.

  • It was proposed to include a short session (20’) with 1 minute madness slides in addition to the panel. In order to fit this session it was agreed to drop the presentation on the data harvest report.

ACTION: Chair-Fotis to include in the agenda a 20’ session with 1 minute madness slides and make a call for presenters beforehand.

  • The co-chair stated that 3 volunteers are needed for the panel and asked for nominations. The SG stated that it would be good to have representatives from diverse organizations such as libraries, supercomputing centers, private sector etc. Kathy Fontaine also reminded of gender/regional diversity when selecting people as it was done in Amsterdam. And that new faces would also be nice.

ACTION: Chairs to take into account org/regions/gender diversity in choosing for the panel members.

  • The co-chair proposed to invite Council co-chair Fran Berman to give a report from the Council Strategy meeting from Saturday.

ACTION: Walter Steward to invite Council Co-chair Fran Berman to give a report from the Council Strategy meeting at the closed OAB meeting.

  • It was proposed to consider doing a self-assessment of OAB effectiveness (i.e. how do we see ourselves operating, what can be improved etc.) And to check whether the benefits in the application forms are received. This might produce some useful feedback when it comes to setting up the formal elected OAB. It was reminded that a similar exercise took place in the Amsterdam Governance meeting (bringing together all RDA governance bodies) where each group talked about what they expected the others to do. However, it was agreed that such efforts should be on-going and possibly to consider this as part of the third item of the closed meeting.

ACTION: Chairs to consider adding a feedback session on OA/OAB (self-assessment) in the closed part of the meeting, possibly combined with agenda item 3.

  • It was proposed that TAB presents the RDA WG/IG clustering effort. This can be included as introductory presentation for agenda item 3 of the closed session (on future WG’s direction.

ACTION: To invite a TAB member to present the RDA WG/IGs clustering effort.

  1. Other P5 news
    • Council strategy consultation day (7 March) - (for information and discussion)
      • Council co-chair Walter Stewart informed that he performed a draw for the two OAB members to participate in the Council Strategy consultation meeting on Saturday 8 March in San Diego. The ones drawn were Amy Nurnberger and Stefan Kramer. Furthermore, Ross Wilkinson (as Council member) and Leif Laaksonen (representing RDA Europe) are also OAB members. It was clarified that the objective of the meeting is not the actual future planning, but the planning for the planning! There is a steering committee to prepare for this meeting and they will come up with an agenda before the next OAB meeting in February. It was agreed to distribute that agenda for comments and have the discussion at the February OAB meeting. It was also agreed that the issues raised during the matters arising agenda item around RDA governance to be postponed for the next meeting.

ACTION: Chairs to distribute the agenda for the Council strategy consultation meeting in time for the February OAB video call. And add a discussion item on the RDA governance after the related presentation by RDA SG.

  1. Invoicing status - Mark-Fotis (for information and discussion)
    • RDA SG Mark Parsons explained that there was a big delay with the RDA Foundation bank account which was opened only a few weeks back. As it was not possible to invoice members in 2014, it was agreed that the invoicing period changes to match the calendar years, so they invoices will now be sent for 2015. Mark Parsons also stated that the RDA Foundation needs to receive 5.000 pounds in order to be classified as a non-for-profit entity. Some legal and accounting support is also sought from the UK with the help of the ACM institute. He also added that US entities may require some special IRS forms and this may require a bit more time until it is resolved.

ACTION: Fotis to prepare invoices for all organisations who signed the membership application or agreement.  

  • Fotis also added that an on-line application form has been discussed at the secretariat that will considerably ease the application of new organizational members, gathering all information easily and avoiding scanned paper signatures.

ACTION: Secretariat to prepare an on-line application form for organsiational members by P5.

  • It was stated that a kit for newcomers would be useful. RDA SG stated that a website revamp is being worked out and will soon be available starting from the home page. It will also separate the internal stuff (WG/IG related) with the external stuff.
  1. Any other business

Kathy Fontaine encouraged Organisational Members to consider sponsorships for Plenary 5, either from their own organizations or from others. A sponsorship package is available in the P5 pages. Especially industrial members from big companies should be encouraged.

ACTION: Organisational members to consider and/or promote the RDA P5 sponsorship packages.

It was finally mentioned that around 130 registrations have been received.

  1. Termination

The meeting was closed on 2:50pm UTC.

Original agenda

Meeting chair - Juan Bicarregui

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll call and introductions
    • ​​New members after last meeting:
      1. Qualitative Data Repository (QDR), Center for Qualitative and Multi-Method Inquiry at the Maxwell School of Syracuse University, USAUniversity, USA
      2. CANARIE, Canada
      3. EGI.eu, The Netherlands
      4. LIBER - Association of European Research Libraries
  3. Minutes from previous meetings (for approval)
    • Minutues available here
  4. Business arising from the minutes
  5. RDA Outputs adoption survey - Walter Stewart (for discussion and approval)
  6. Adoption Day plans - Kathy Fontaine (for information and discussion)
  7. Plenary 5 OA(B) meeting agenda (for discussion and approval)
    • Open part (for anyone interested):
      1. RDA outputs adoption survey results (to act as introduction to the panel that follows)
      2. Panel: Data interoperability challenges – Views from RDA Organisational Members
      3. Data Harvest report presentation
      4. Please provide your own suggestions for discussion
    • Closed part (Criterion for joining the closed part is to have the membership application or agreement completed)
      1. What can OAB do to drive adoption
      2. Relationship between OAB and TAB (also related to adoption)
      3. Future directions for RDA Working Groups (input from OA members about gaps in RDA work - problems that are not addressed by current RDA WGs)
      4. More discussion (possibly inviting TAB and Council members).
      5. Please provide your own suggestions for discussion
  8. Other P5 news
    • Council strategy consultation day (7 March) - (for information and discussion)
      • 2 OAB members to participate - Draw results - Walter
      • Discussion of OAB ideas for this meeting - Fab
  9. Invoicing status - Mark-Fotis (for information and discussion)
    • Change of invoicing period to match the calendar year
    • On-line application form
  10. Any other business
  11. Termination