OAB February 2016 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

Tuesday 9 February 2016, 15:15 UTC

EU-US friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

 
  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicaregui
  2. Roll Call
    • Present: Aaron, Amy, Colin, Juan (Chair), Fab, Francoise, Jamie, Kate, Kevin, Laure, Larry, Raphael, Rob, Stephen, Walter (co-Chair) and Mark, Fotis (secretariat). Members from Australasia apologised as the time was prohibiting to join.
    • New Organisational members in 2016:
      • Max Planck Computing and Data Facility, Germany. Member: Raphael Ritz. Short intro from MPCDF (RZG).
      • DataONE, USA: William Michener
      • Center for Biology and Society, Arizona State University, USA: Kate MacCord
    • Raphael Ritz and Kate MacCord gave a short introductoin of their institutes. William apologised.
    • Curently the OA is composed of 37 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 42 members in total.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from October and December meetings were approved.
    • January minutes to be approved in Tokyo closed meeting.
    • Open actions from January meeting:
      • Keep the OAB clustering/mapping report until Tokyo meeting - Open
      • Create a small joint TAB-OAB task force to come up with a proposal on adoption/sustainability phase - Closed
      • An OAB member from the group to join the TAB call (see agenda item 5)
      • Include the adoption phase agenda item in the February call together with a report from TAB  (agenda item 5) - Closed
      • Walter to draft a memo on the adoption phase and then invite the entire OAB - Taken up by the related group - Closed
      • The value and engagement group to check the clustering effort report for input into their work (possibly tag benefits to identifed types) - Open
      • Juan to check if a Council member wants to join the OAB Value and Engagement group - Open
      • Reviewers for new groups (see agenda item 10)
      • Kathy: Short form for OA reviewers to send their expertise - Open
      • Action: Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense - Open
  4. OAB clustering/mapping report - For further comments
    • The report from the OAB sub-group on clustering/mapping is available here.The report was presented at the December meeting by Amy Nurnberger - Slides and also briefly summarised at the January meeting. No further comments were received (at the February meeting).
    • From December meeting - Main points of discussion:
      • It was noted that there is weak participtaion from industry. Investigate link with and potential invitation of the Allotrope foundation : http://www.allotrope.org. (an international association of pharmaceutical and biotech companies dedicated to the building of a “Laboratory Framework” to improve efficiency in data acquisition, archiving, and management).
      • The outcome of this effort can also feed into both the sub-group led by Jamie Shiers about the Value and Engagement for Organisational Members and the adoption discussion.
    • Other background info
  5. Encouraging Adoption and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations, Consensus document for approval
    • Mark presented the overview of the Consensus document that was prepared by a Task Force composed of TAB, OAB and secretariat members.
      • Maintenance plans (minor changes to Recommendations) should be reviewed during the Recommendation review. A WG may propose a Maintenance Group (MG); although the MG is not required, it can be created automatically with the same name. Updates (major changes) should have a new community review. The OAB should review (initially annually) maintenance plans and adoption of outputs. Follow-on WGs to update or produce a new version of the Recommendation are also foreseen with a quicker review process.
      • Adoption support can occur in a number of ways and WGs are free to choose which ones to use. Secreteriat would coordinate a group of volunteers who support the adoption of Recommendaitons through referrals to experts but also through a feedback mechanism including an issue tracker. Secretariat will help coordinate an Adoption promotion program involving the Ambassadors described in the Future Directions Document. Adoption activities should be reported at each plenary.
    • Larry: 1. Flexible approach 2. Pilot for 1 year and then review: the task force would reconvene and assess how it worked for at least two very different Recommendations.
    • Juan: This is a big step forward, and TAB-OAB will work together on this.
    • Francoise: It is important to allow flexibility for Chairs to propose new things.
    • Decision: The document was formally approved and it will be forwarded to the Council.
  6. OAB elections - Call for nominations - Walter - Juan
    • List of candidates
    • Juan summarised the current status: 8 candidates, but no seats from industry: so we have to hold back 2 seats. Thus, 8 candidates for 9 seats: 1 vacancy left.
    • After some discussion the following was decided:
    • Decision: 1. Declare the 8 acclaimed 2. Reopen the nominations for the remaining 3 seats for 1 week: 2 seats for the private sector and 1 extra.
    • Action: Fotis: To send a message about the reopening of nominations for the remaining 3 seats.
    • UPDATED DOCUMENT AFTER THE DECEMBER MEETING
    • CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:
      • An election will occur in mid-March for members for the Organisational Advisory Board – the 12-member body responsible for the work of the Organisational Members of RDA between plenaries.  All designated representatives of Organisational Members are eligible for nomination.  Two seconders from among organisational members and a maximum 200-word statement of why the nominee is seeking election is required.  To complete a nomination, nominees are also asked to self-identify their position with respect to OAB balancing criteria among regions and types of organisations.  The complete process is outlined clearly at  https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/OABElectionProcessV02-7-12-2015.docx (version 2 after December OAB call).  
  7. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members - Status update
    • How does OAB contribute to RDA and how orgnisations receive benefts being members?
      • Background: Discussion in the past and open action on reviewing the list of benefits RDA receive
      • An OAB sub-group will work on the OM engagement to report back to OAB. Group members: Jamie Shiers-EIROForum (Chair), Mark Parsons (RDA SG), Amy Nurnberger, Cynthia Hudson Vitale, Colin Elman, Robert Quick, Fabrizio Gagliardi, Kevin Ashley, Malcolm Wolski, Leif Laaksonen, Nick Jones
      • Working area created: https://rd-alliance.org/groups/value-and-engagement-organisational-members.html.
      • Mailing list: value-engagement-oa@rda-groups.org.
      • Draft input from Jamie Shiers - Document
      • Walter: Action: The group to look into the clustering report and whether some useufl input can be received for the Value and Engagement exercise. Possibly tag benefits to identifed types - Open.
      • Action Juan: Check if a Council member wants to join the Value and Engagement group. Open.
      • Jamie: There could be both value and engagement. However, good Information flow/communication is important. A lack of such was the Data management  workshop at CERN that was moved without me being notified.
      • Jamie will summarise the current inputs. But it may be too early to converge, as info on communication is required. I can also prepare slides for Tokyo although not present.
      • Mark: not clear if data mgmt workshop is an RDA event. Jamie: RDA Europe event. Herman was involved
      • Mark: Better coordination and info sharing across regions is indeed needed at multiple levels, but OAB can have a role there. Kevin:There is a problem with that workshop that it doesn't come from an RDA group of any sort, so the concerns expressed are real ones.
      • Juan: Action to Mark: To come up with a proposal for better coordination across regions!
      • Stephen: OA is a natural locus. A process is needed though.
      • Juan: Summary from regional projects about their activities can be in the open or closed meeting.
  8. Planning for Tokyo OA meetings - Walter-Juan
    • Current timing:https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/RDA%20Plenary%207%20%26%20Co...
    • Proposed draft agenda for the closed meeting:
      • Update from Council
      • Meet the candidates - (candidates can say what the OAB role should be).
      • OAB: Value and engagement
      • Adoption/Sustainability phase
      • OAB Clustering exercise
      • Mark: extra point: Report on the finances.
    • Proposed draft agenda for the Open OA meeting.
      • The value and engagement of RDA OA - Strategies for maximisng the value and Return on Investment in OAB engagemnet?
        • Jamie can prepare some input with a presentation (someone else has to deliver it).
        • And then a small panel with 2-3 members. Stephen volunteers for the panel.
      • RDA outputs adoption stories.
        • Aaron volunteers to speak about their adoption grant story.
        • Kevin will follow-up by e-mail on adoption stories.
      • Regional coordination:
        • Ross W., Peter W. Fran B. and Yasushi Ogasaka, Japan.  They may delegate to others if they want.
      • AoB. 
      • Action: Fotis:Ask for suggestions for speakers for the panel and adoption stories.
  9. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter-Mark
    • Final report.
    • Mark: Final report formally approved by Council. Not much changed since October. Secretariat working for an implementation plan of the 15 big action items. But there is an issue of lack of capacity in the secretariat. Would need some help from some of you. Secretariat will also be implementing a tracking system on this and other stuff.
  10. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Fotis
    1. Sent to Council to be Recognised and endorsed groups from previous meeting
    2. Request for Comments (RFCs):
    3. Open Actions:
      1. Action Kathy: Short form for OA reviewers to send their expertise. Use the TAB clustering. Mark  and Fotis to come up with the areas.
      2. Action: Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense.
  11. Future plenaries and secretariat updates
    1. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Kathy, Fotis
      • News from Council - Mark
        • Council nominations: A number of candidates was received (8). The committee will come up with a definite slate of candidates next week and definitely before Tokyo and then there will be open elections.
        • Sub-committees approach. 3 sub-committees: 1. Finance (Doris) 2. Strategy (implementation rather than strategy) and 3. Sustainability and Funding. And committees: Ensuring that engagement and communication are done (not doing themselves). Org and coordination: Mark to chair. Facilitate coordination and operations. Secretariat. I.e. oversight committee to make it more effective. Reports in Tokyo.
        • Future directions document: Seretariat to work on operatoinal plans. OA will have a key role again.
      • All members have paid their dues for 2015! Invoices for 2016 have been sent out by RDA Virtual Finance Office subcontracted to a UK accounting firm (PEM) (besides MPG).
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: 3724 members in Feb 2016 .
    2. Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
        • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
        • As a data organisation, wouldn't it be great if that information about attendees was available as data - even as CSV?
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
        • Joint event between CODATA, WDS and RDA. SciDataCon in the beginning of the week (more research conferene with papers), the last two days the RDA plenary and in the middle an international data forum. PC formed, but no clear role.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
        • Fab: Need to understand pre-post-meeting requirements.
      • Plenary 10- Fall 2017. Mark: South America (Brazil) or Afirca. Fab: Better China or India to start with .Mark: Japan:300 already (better than expected). So maybe good to go back to Asia indeed. But going to South America we want to increase engagement. Welcome Fabrizio's connections in Latin America. Fab: We have collaborations. To clarify want to invest in Latin America but higher priority in China, India and possibly South Corea.
      • Kevin:The rate of change in South America & Africa is greater, and a lot is happening in South America which is disconnected from the global conversation, except in some areas.
  12. Next OAB Meetings
    • Next meeting in Tokyo (see draft agendas above).
      • OA Open meeting: Tuesday 1st of March: 14:30-16:00
      • OA Closed meeting: Tuesday 1st of March: 16:30-18:00
    • In the future consider moving to a fixed schedule: E.g. first Tuesday of every month, in 3 different timezones.
  13. AoB.

Original agenda

 

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
San Francisco (U.S.A. - California) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 07:15:00 PST UTC-8 hours
Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 08:15:00 MST UTC-7 hours
Washington DC (U.S.A. - District of Columbia) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 10:15:00 EST UTC-5 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 15:15:00 GMT UTC
Paris (France) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 16:15:00 CET UTC+1 hour
Athens (Greece) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 17:15:00 EET UTC+2 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 00:15:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 02:15:00 AEDT UTC+11 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Wednesday, 10 February 2016, 04:15:00 NZDT UTC+13 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Tuesday, 9 February 2016, 15:15:00    

 

Gotomeeting link:  https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/263657821

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 263-657-821.  Australia : +61 2 8355 1030, Austria : +43 7 2088 1033, Belgium : +32 (0) 28 93 7001, Canada : +1 (647) 497-9371, Denmark : +45 69 91 89 33, Finland : +358 (0) 942 41 5770, France : +33 (0) 170 950 585, Germany : +49 (0) 692 5736 7303, Ireland : +353 (0) 19 030 050, Italy : +39 0 693 38 75 50, Netherlands : +31 (0) 208 080 208, New Zealand : +64 9 925 0481, Norway : +47 21 54 82 21, Spain : +34 911 82 9890, Sweden : +46 (0) 853 527 817, Switzerland : +41 (0) 435 0167 65, United Kingdom : +44 (0) 20 3713 5010, United States : +1 (571) 317-3117
 
  1. Call to Order - Chair: Juan Bicaregui
  2. Roll Call
    • New Org members:
      • Max Planck Computing and Data Facility, Germany. Member: Raphael Ritz. Short intro from MPCDF.
      • DataONE, USA: William Michener
      • Center for Biology and Society, Arizona State University, USA: Kate MacCord
    • Curently the OA is composed of 37 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members. 42 members in total.
  3. Minutes from previous meetings
    • Minutes from October and December meetings to be approved
    • January minutes to be approved in Tokyo closed meeting.
    • Open actions from January meeting:
      • Keep the OAB clustering/mapping report until Tokyo meeting
      • Create a small joint TAB-OAB task force to come up with a proposal on adoption/sustainability phase - Closed
      • An OAB member from the group to join the TAB call (see agenda item 5)
      • Include the adoption phase agenda item in the February call together with a report from TAB  (agenda item 5) - Closed
      • Walter to draft a memo on the adoption phase and then invite the entire OAB (covered by document in item 5?)
      • The value and engagement group to check the clustering effort report for input into their work (possibly tag benefits to identifed types)
      • Juan to check if a Council member wants to join the OAB Value and Engagement group.
      • Reviewers for new groups (see agenda item 10)
      • Kathy: Short form for OA reviewers to send their expertise
      • Action: Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense.
  4. OAB clustering/mapping report - For further comments
    • The report from the OAB sub-group on clustering/mapping is available here.
    • The report was presented at the December meeting by Amy Nurnberger - Slides
    • Amy summarised the main points of the report once again for the ones who were not present.
    • From December meeting - Main points of discussion:
      • It was noted that there is weak participtaion from industry. Investigate link with and potential invitation of the Allotrope foundation : http://www.allotrope.org. (an international association of pharmaceutical and biotech companies dedicated to the building of a “Laboratory Framework” to improve efficiency in data acquisition, archiving, and management).
      • The outcome of this effort can also feed into both the sub-group led by Jamie Shiers about the Value and Engagement for Organisational Members and the adoption discussion.
      • Action: It was agreed to keep this item until Tokyo (Tokyo f2f meeting included).
    • Other background info
  5. Encouraging Adoption and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations, Consensus document for approval
    • Consensus document
    • From previous meetings:
      • Document link (document prepared inside the TAB workspace). The document was presented by Andrew Treloar at the December meeting. Main point: What happens after a WG finishes? The document proposes an optional adoption or follow-up phase.
      • Points from January meeting:
        • Create a small joint TAB-OAB task force to resolve this. And come up with a concrete discussion paper and recommendations.
        • Someone from OAB can join the next TAB meeting to talk about this
        • Keep this item in the next meeting, including a report from TAB and how OAB should deal with this, possibly with a small Task Force.
        • Walter: Action: Draft a memo on this and then invite the entire OAB. Fotis to send notes to Walter.
        • Malcolm, Patricia volunteer for being members of the joint group
      • Background:
  6. OAB elections - Call for nominations - Walter - Juan
    • List of candidates
    • UPDATED DOCUMENT AFTER THE DECEMBER MEETING
    • CALL FOR NOMINATIONS:
      • An election will occur in mid-March for members for the Organisational Advisory Board – the 12-member body responsible for the work of the Organisational Members of RDA between plenaries.  All designated representatives of Organisational Members are eligible for nomination.  Two seconders from among organisational members and a maximum 200-word statement of why the nominee is seeking election is required.  To complete a nomination, nominees are also asked to self-identify their position with respect to OAB balancing criteria among regions and types of organisations.  The complete process is outlined clearly at  https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/OABElectionProcessV02-7-12-2015.docx (version 2 after December OAB call).  
      • Nominations due February 1st, 2016 at enquiries@rd-alliance.org.
      • 11 positions are open for election following plenary 7.  One of the current co-chairs will remain for one year making up the full 12-member body.
      • The OAB has a very important role within RDA; all organisational representatives are strongly encouraged to consider offering themselves for nomination or to actively promote the nomination of a fellow organisational representative.
    • Plan - next steps:
      • Election overall plan: 11 members will be elected + one of OAB co-chairs will stay for a year (12 in total). And then the OAB will elect a chair among its members. And in a year we will replace the veteran chair who will step down. From the 11 elected, there will be 5 to stay for one year and 6 for two years. OAB memebrs can run again.
      • Timeline: Formal call for nominations (similar to TAB processs) issued beginning of January 2016 with a deadline at the end of January 2016. There will be a "Meet the candidates" session at P7 and an e-election (as with TAB) after that.
  7. Value and Engagement for Organisational Members - Status update
  8. Planning for Tokyo OA meetings - Walter-Juan
    • Current timing:https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/RDA%20Plenary%207%20%26%20Co...
    • Proposed draft agenda for the closed meeting:
      • Update from Council
      • Meet the candidates
      • OAB: Value and engagement
      • Adoption/Sustainability phase
      • OAB Clustering exercise
    • Proposed draft agenda for the Open OA meeting.
      • The value and engagement of RDA OA - Strategies for maximisng the value and Return on Investment in OAB engagemnet?
        • Jamie can prepare some input with a presentation (someone else has to deliver it).
        • And then a small panel with 2-3 members.
      • RDA outputs adoption stories.
      • AoB. 
  9. Future Directions Planning organic group, Walter-Mark
  10. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Kathy- Fotis
    1. Sent to Council to be Recognised and endorsed groups from previous meeting; expected resolution January 18:
    2. Request for Comments (RFCs):
    3. Open Actions:
      1. Action Kathy: Short form for OA reviewers to send their expertise
      2. Action: Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense.
  11. Future plenaries and secretariat updates
    1. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Kathy, Fotis
      • News from Council - Mark
        • Council nominations: A number of candidates was received. The committee will come up with a definite slate of candidates a couple of weeks before Tokyo and then there will be open elections.
        • Future directions document: Seretariat to work on operatoinal plans. OA will have a key role again.
      • All members have paid their dues for 2015! Invoices for 2016 have been sent out by RDA Virtual Finance Office subcontracted to a UK accounting firm (PEM) (besides MPG).
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: 3500 members in December 2015 .
    2. Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 1 March - 3 March 2016 - Theme of the event: Making Data Sharing Work in the era of Open Science
        • Venue: Hitotsubashi Hall owned and operated by Hitostubashi University Address: 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430 
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
  12. Next OAB Meetings
    • Next meeting in Tokyo (see above).
      • OA Open meeting: Tuesday 1st of March: 14:30-16:00
      • OA Closed meeting: Tuesday 1st of March: 16:30-18:00
    • Walter: Consider moving to a fixed schedule: E.g. first Tuesday of every month, in 3 different timezones. 
  13. AoB