OAB April 2016 call

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda

(open to all Organisational Members)

Thursday 14 April 2016, 13:00 UTC

EU friendly timeslot

Draft minutes

Recording (started half way) available at https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/April%20OA%28B%29%20call1460...

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger 
  2. Roll Call
    • Present: Amy, Juan, Colin, Fab, Francoise, Jamie, Jason, Kathy, Kevin, Malcolm, Mark Leggott, Mark Parsons, Raphael, Ross (partly), Siddeswara, Stephen and Fotis (secretariat-OAB liaison). There was a short intro by each participant.    
    • Amy welcomed the new Organisational members (not present):
      • Centro Argentino e Información Científica y Tecnológica, (CAICYT-CONICET), Argentina, Mela Bosch
      • Caltech, USA, Gail Clement
      • DataONE, USA: William Michener
      • MoU signed with GODAN (affiliate member) - GODAN signature arrived during the call.
      • Curently the OA is composed of 39 Organisational Members and 6 Affiliate Members. 45 members in total.
  3. The new Organisational Advisory Board - Amy
  4. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting)
    • The minutes from January (https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-advisory-board-oab/wiki...) and February 2016 (https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-advisory-board-oab/wiki...) were approved without any comments.
    • Open actions:
      • Kathy: Short form/template for OA reviewers to send their expertise - Open. 
        • Kathy explained the background. New action: All to send ideas about the template.
      • Action: Mark, Kathy and Fotis to see if a template for OAB reviews makes sense - Open.
        • Mark P asked whether the OAB wants to have a formal opinion on each new WG? He would be more interested on the OAB having a role on the recommendations and their adoption. Neutral on the WG OAB reviews.  
        • Kevin: OAB should bear the responsibility of reviews.
  5. Value and Engagement of RDA Organisational Members - Tokyo summary and where to from here.
    • Background:
    • Discussion:
      • Stephen: What was the target audience of the document? Jamie: Both for OAB and RDA. Malcolm: Probably internal. 
      • Amy: This topic is also linked with the sustainability issue raised in the mailing list. Jamie: Yes, there have been probably (too-many different) discussions about the long-term future of RDA. But also OA(B) should have a say and role on this. And how the money should be spent. Mark P: One of Council's sub-committees is about sustainability and funding (also agenda item 9). And btw there is also another sub-committee on finance, where we need to replace Nancy from CANARIE. Action: Call for new member to replace Nancy, CANARIE for the finance committee. Coming back to the sustainability and funding sub-committee there was a first call in March. Fotis can share the notes. Action: Fotis to share the notes from the sustainability and funding sub-committee meeting. The main point of the group is to define a strategy for RDA sustainability. Juan: I agree that OA(B) should have a voice on sustainability. Not strong voice on how to do this. Mark P: We can appoint OA(B) member(s) to the two committees. Malcolm: Better to have someone from V&E group in the sustainability one. Jamie: It should be someone who knows will be around in the future. Kevin: Not easy to know this. Stephen self-nominations with the consent from OAB. Amy: We should not flood the groups, although improbable.
    • Decision: Call for self-nominations with knowledge and consent from the OAB for: 1. Finance and 2. Sustainability and Funding sub-comittees. Deadline: Two weeks from today.
      Action: Volunteers to send nominations for 1. Finance and 2. Sustainability and Funding subcommittees.
  6. Adoption, Endorsement and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations - Updates and thoughts - Amy Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Mark Parsons, all
    • Background and input received before the meeting:
    • Mark explained the background for the need of an adoption report: Council needs to assess the adoption. Council thought that OAB would be a good place to get an assessment report. But we know we ask a lot of you. Secretariat is now working on a trial effort on this: 1. Ask WG who are the strongest adopters  2. Then ask adopters a few questions: How far are you? What is your experience? 3. There may be another step at the end for a group to review the recommendations. So we need to understand/review the role OA(B) wants to have in this.
    • Discussion: 
      • Kevin: Different/diverse organisations, so different types of recommendations. Mark: Yes, case by case basis. Secretariat thought it is a good idea to interview people. But we would have liked to get Organisational views. Amy: Yes, e.g. Do you see this adoptable by your organisation?
      • Guru: Important is the cost of adoption. Malcolm: Agree it is a qualative assessment. Mark P: It is more of an experiment for now (i.e. what the secretariat is doing). The results of the experiments can be reported in the next OAB call.
      • Amy: There was an idea for a peer review from a group. Jamie: Yes. Explains the idea of a short lived group with a pool of experts (see e-mail). OA(B) can play such a role. Guru: In the last meetings we discuss the idea of collecting OA members expertise within a template. Fotis: Yes, it is the open action we discussed above. Amy: Are we going for tihs? Malcolm: It would be good to invove external experts outside the OA (e.g. from our organisations or beyond). Mark P: Yes, at the secretariat we also discussed the idea of establishing an rotaring review group. Can the OA(B) play this role?  Malcolm: We can consult experts outside the RDA membership and channel feedback through the OA member. Francoise: Case by case in TAB. But agree that it is better to have it properly organised in this case. A collection instrument to capture the OA area of expertise is needed. Jamie, Malcolm Raphael and Foits to contribute to this exercise .  
    • Decision: A pool of OA experts for reviewing RDA outputs will be created. It would be possible to consult experts outside the RDA membership but feedback will be channeled via OA members. A group will work on a template collecting the OA members expertise. Action: Jamie, Malcolm, Raphael and Fotis to work on the template.
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update
    • Discussion item: OAB needs a clearer procedural path with how communications are happening around newly proposed groups and other RFCs. Good coordination with TAB.
    • New WG/IGs:
      • WGs
        • Data Type Registries #2 - (DTR #2 WG) - link
          • Fotis: Do we need OAB reviewers for this (follow-up of DTR). Mark P: In my view optional / light review.. Better to focus on recommendations.  
      • IGs
        • Virtual Reearch Environment (VRE IG) - link
        • Archives and Records Professionals for Research Data IG - link
    • Recommendations:
  8. OAB vs. OA transition/separation - Amy, Fotis
    • OAB scoping document to become the OA scoping document
    • Webspace and mailing lists
      • Proposed changes:
        • Rename current OAB webspace and mailing list to OA (mailing list from rda-oab@rda-groups.org to rda-oa@rda-groups.org). The current web space (public) will be used as it is used now having all the meetings (to keep all OA members engaged).
        • Create a new private webspace and mailing list for the OAB (e-mail: rda-oab@rda-groups.org).
        • No discending opinions.
        • Action Fotis to implement the above changes and inform RDA Groups.
  9. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Fotis
    • News from Council - Mark
      • Update on new Council: Jean-Bernard Minster elected as a new Council member replacing Tony Hey stepping down. Fran and Ross have been re-elected.
        • Council sub-committees
          • Strategy (overall RDA strategy): Council Members: Bernard (liaison), Kay, Fran, Sandra (chair), Francoise, Juan. Secretariat: Hilary
          • Sustainability and Funding: Council Members: Ross (chair), John, Patrick, Fran, Josh. Secretariat: Fotis
          • Finance: Council Members: Doris (chair), Satoshi, Mark, Walter. Secretariat liaison: Mark. Action: Need to replace Walter.
        • Council advising committees
          • Engagement and Communications: Proposed Council Members: Michael S. (liaison), Bernard, Amy N. (chair), Rebecca K., Tony H., Kay, Secretariat: Yolanda and Timea
          • RDA Operations and Coordination: Proposed Council Members: Mark/Stefanie, Andrew (liaison), Leif, Yasuhiro Muryama, Rainer S. (chair) Secretariat: Stefanie
      • Future directions document: Discussed in the past. A plan being worked out by the understaffed secretariat. Prioritisation needed.
      • Funders' forum: There was a funders' forum meeting in Tokyo. Stemming from the Council discussion on RDA long term sustainability. The Funders forum is composed of the foundations and gov agencies that provide core support to RDA. They do not steer RDA, just interested parties. Claire McLaughlin chaired the meeting. Participants from NSF, NIST, SLOAN, EC and potential funders including Japanese JST, South African Dept of S&T. Current business model is based on research agencies funding. But may not be optimal for sustainaing organisations. Alternative approaches are needed. E.g. plenaries funded by interested parties; a bit in Japan already. Also funded projects with RDA Foundation. Already two proposals submitted with the participation of RDA Foundation: SKA and Polar Earth Observations. Get also some overheads.  
    • Update on invoicing/payments
      • Outstanding invoices as of 11.4.2016: Cap Digital, DataOne, DCC, Max Planck, LIBER, QDR, STFC.
    • Migration to the new website - Action: Please report any issues
    • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: almost 4000 members in mid April 2016 .
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Next plenaries
  10. Next OAB Meetings
    • Doodle for next cal. Action: Fotis. Australian friendly timeslot.
  11. AoB

 

Original agenda

 

 

 

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
Los Angeles (USA - California) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 06:00:00 PDT UTC-7 hours
Denver (USA - Colorado) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 07:00:00 MDT UTC-6 hours
Washington DC (USA - District of Columbia) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 09:00:00 EDT UTC-4 hours
London (United Kingdom - England) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 14:00:00 BST UTC+1 hour
Paris (France) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 15:00:00 CEST UTC+2 hours
Athens (Greece) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 16:00:00 EEST UTC+3 hours
Tokyo (Japan) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 22:00:00 JST UTC+9 hours
Canberra (Australia - Australian Capital Territory) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 23:00:00 AEST UTC+10 hours
Wellington (New Zealand) Friday, 15 April 2016, 01:00:00 NZST UTC+12 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Thursday, 14 April 2016, 13:00:00    

Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer time.

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/960995317

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also dial in using your phone. Access Code: 960-995-317

More phone numbers Australia +61 2 8355 1034, Austria +43 7 2088 1036, Belgium +32 (0) 28 93 7002, Canada +1 (647) 497-9372, Denmark +45 89 88 03 61, Finland +358 (0) 942 45 0382, France +33 (0) 170 950 586, Germany +49 (0) 692 5736 7206, Ireland +353 (0) 19 030 053, Italy +39 0 693 38 75 53, Netherlands +31 (0) 208 084 055, New Zealand +64 4 974 7243, Norway +47 23 96 01 18, Spain +34 932 20 0506, Sweden +46 (0) 853 527 818, Switzerland +41 (0) 225 3311 20, United Kingdom +44 (0) 330 221 0098, United States : +1 (224) 501-3316

 

  1. Call to Order - Chair: Amy Nurnberger 
  2. Roll Call
    • Welcome to new members
      • Centro Argentino e Información Científica y Tecnológica, (CAICYT-CONICET), Argentina, Mela Bosch
      • Caltech, USA, Gail Clement
      • DataONE, USA: William Michener
      • MoU at final stages with GODAN (affiliate member) - signed by RDA, waiting for GODAN signature.
      • Curently the OA is composed of 39 Organisational Members and 6 Affiliate Members (with GODAN). 45 members in total.
  3. The new Organisational Advisory Board - Amy
  4. Minutes from previous meetings (besides last meeting)
  5. Value and Engagement of RDA Organisational Members - Tokyo summary and where to from here.
  6. Adoption, Endorsement and Maintenance of RDA Recommendations - Updates and thoughts - Amy Nurnberger, Malcolm Wolski, Mark Parsons, all
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update
    • Discussion item: OAB needs a clearer procedural path with how communications are happening around newly proposed groups and other RFCs. Good coordination with TAB.
    • New WG/IGs:
      • WGs
        • Data Type Registries #2 - (DTR #2 WG) - link
          • OAB reviewers?
      • IGs
        • Virtual Reearch Environment (VRE IG) - link
        • Archives and Records Professionals for Research Data IG - link
    • Recommendations:
  8. OAB vs. OA transition/separation - Amy, Fotis
    • OAB scoping document to become the OA scoping document
    • Webspace and mailing lists
      • Proposed changes:
        • Rename current OAB webspace and mailing list to OA (mailing list from rda-oab@rda-groups.org to rda-oa@rda-groups.org). The current web space (public) will be used as it is used now having all the meetings (to keep all OA members engaged)
        • Create a new private webspace and mailing list for the OAB (e-mail: rda-oab@rda-groups.org).
  9. Short news from secretariat- Mark, Fotis
    • News from Council - Mark
      • Update on new Council
        • Council sub-committees
          • Sustainability and Funding: Proposed Council Members: Ross (chair), John, Patrick, Fran, Josh. Secretariat Liaison: Fotis
          • Finance: Proposed Council Members: Doris (chair), Satoshi, Mark, Walter. Secretariat liaison: Mark
        • Council advising committees
          • Engagement and Communications: Proposed Council Members: Michael S. (liaison), Bernard, Amy N. (chair), Rebecca K., Tony H., Kay, Secretariat: Yolanda and Timea
          • RDA Operations and Coordination: Proposed Council Members: Mark/Stefanie, Andrew (liaison), Leif, Yasuhiro Muryama, Rainer S. (chair) Secretariat: Stefanie
      • Future directions document
    • Update on invoicing/payments
      • Outstanding invoices as of 11.4.2016: Cap Digital, DataOne, DCC, Max Planck, LIBER, QDR, STFC.
    • Migration to the new website - Please report any issues
    • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics: almost 4000 members in mid April 2016 .
    • Future plenaries update
      • Plenary 8 - Denver, 11-16 September 2016, in conjunction with International Data Week.
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). 3-7 April 2017. Venue: Barcelo Sants.
      • Next plenaries
  10. Next OAB Meetings
    • Fixed schedule? Times?
  11. AoB
    • Sustainability of RDA (see also point above under Council sub-committees)