OAB April 2015 meeting

Organisational Advisory Board meeting agenda and draft minutes

Tuesday 21 April 2015, 12 pm UTC

(8:00 am-Washington DC, USA,  2:00 pm-Central European Time, 9:00pm-Tokyo, Japan, 10:00 pm-Canberra, Australia)

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/917013165

Use your microphone and speakers (VOIP) for audio. You'll sound best with a headset. PLEASE MUTE WHILE NOT SPEAKING to avoid injecting echo in the call.

You can also call in using your telephone: Access Code: 889-617-957
Canada (Long distance): +1 (647) 497-9373,Australia (Long distance): +61 2 9091 7605,Finland (Long distance): +358 (0) 942 59 9121, Germany (Long distance): +49 (0) 692 5736 7208, United Kingdom (Long distance): +44 (0) 330 221 0096,United States (Long distance): +1 (213) 493-0619,France (Long distance): +33 (0) 170 950 585. More phone numbers: https://global.gotomeeting.com/669330013/numbersdisplay.html

Draft minutes - work in progress

Meeting chair - Juan Bicarregui

  1. Call to Order
    • Present: Aaron Addison, Amy Nurnberger,  Kevin Ashley, Juan Bicarregui, Kathy Fontaine, Fabrizio Gagliardi, Hilary Hanahoe, Fotis Karayannis (sect), Leif Laaksonen, Romain Melet, Mustapha Mokrane, Jamie Shiers, Walter Stewart, Ross Wilkinson, Stephen Wolff,.
  2. Roll Call
    • New members: Larry Lannom, Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI), USA, John Towns, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), USA
    • 28 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members=33 members. When 36 members reached, we would need election for a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes of the San Diego meeting - (for comments - to be approved in the May call)
    • Actions status:
      • Leif to lead a subgroup on a OAB clustering. Members:  Amy, Jill, Leif, Mustpha Ross, Steven.
        • Leif: Sub-group setup. On-going work. See status under agenda item 8.
      • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
      • Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs.
        • Done for this meeting. Also to be done for the next.
      • Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
        • Also done. To be done for the next also.
        • Ross requested to get the views on how this group is willing to review outputs, drive adoption and form consensus.
        • Walter: Action Fotis: Make it an agenda item for the May meeting (how OAB is willing to contribute with the outputs review).
        • Kathy: TAB has been talking on this and they were planning to contact OAB. TAB considering experts and adopters to assess the outputs (different from what TAB is doing). OAB has a role to play. 
        • Ross: Council would be happy to get such input. Next Council is June. 
        • Kathy: Maybe imitate review with case statement. But CS review is not receiving enough comments. 
        • Next f2f meeting in TAB is second week in June in Karlsruhe. Maybe a request from Beth and Andrew to work on this. 
        • Walter: Uncomfortable with the OAB outputs review only at the end. It should be integrated inside the whole process throughout the lifetime of the WG. 
        • Ross: Agree - it shouldn't be a "quality" check at the end- it is more about the outputs usability.
        • Leif: Not too worried about the consensus process. But that the WGs provide something useful. 
        • Agreeing with Leif somewhat - review by OAB isn't just the all-or-nothing that Walter was concerned about, but could (for instance) show that usability was differen for different types of organisations.
        • Ross will raise the issue with John and Fran and then we need a small group to prepare a note. Groups members: Juan, Stephen Leif, Amy, Walter volunteers.
        • Action group: Prepare a short bulleted memo for the May meeting (OAB involvement in the outputs process).
      • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
        • Open.
      • Fotis to subscribe Adam Farquhar, Datacite to the OAB group
        • Done.
  4. Business Arising from the Minutes
    • See above item on OAB involvement.
  5. Reflections from San Diego - Reactions from Adoption day (for discussion)
    • San Diego plenary evaluation report - Hilary briefly presented the document (outcome of survey included)
      • Hilary:
        • Input on P5 and views about P6 and future plenaries. 76 inputs in the survey (~20% answered).
          • Plenary sessions: Majority in favour to maintain 3 ones.
          • Color-code sessions,
          • Speed dating
          • Lunch closer to posters
          • Adoption day was a success! Do it again.
          • Remote participation also essential. Plan ahead to have better results.
          • Sign-up sheets.
          • Smallish plenary but very very well received.
      • Discussion:
        • Ross: Adoption day was on a seperate from main plenary - was there comment on that? Hilary: Yes. Main plenary to stay 2,5 days, but maybe we have it as a feature (on the day before). Kathy: Adoption day was an experiment in San Diego. It turned out great and it can now be included in the weed. Balance WG/IG groups with other requirements. But probably adoption a standard feature. Juan: Plan for next one to be better.
        • Kevin:  Wonder if many of the newcomers attended the 'RDA for newcomers' session. Some of their comments suggest misunderstandings what that session should deal with. Do we have any figures for rate of attendance by newcomers at their session?. Hilary Hanahoe: ~50.Ross: It was a very good event.
        • Fab: Would have expected people from nearby countries such as Brazil. Representation not good. Just an observation; not to blame anyone. Work on involving the new economies (BRICS).
  6. Strategic Planning update - Walter
    • Future Directions Planning organic group
      • Report
      • Presentation at RDA P5 closing plenary
      • Submit your comments (and also see comments received up to now)
        • Walter: The draft survey that will go out to all RDA members about the future directions of RDA was just received on Sunday! So currently reviewing and discussing. Next iteration will go out to the group. Not much other progress. Better to do it right rather than meeting a deadline. Not giving up on the deadline yet. But running a bit late.
        • Fotis:There is now a new Organic Group for the so-called: Future Directions Planning (also sent as part of the last newsletter). So you can find some material there and you can submit comments
        • Juan: In what way OAB can make some input. Other way of voice heard. Walter: We can discuss it, once there is a survey document. But for sure when there is a draft plan including the survey results, certainly OAB will be asked to comment. Action: Walter: Once survey results and draft plan are available, bring this up for OAB to comment.
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Fotis / Andrew
  8. OAB clustering exercise - Leif
    • Wiki page
      • Sub-Group Terms of Reference
      • TAB Clustering exercise document
        • Leif reported that the group has been setup and already some initial ideas have been aired. Next meetings have been set. On the substance there have been discussions on whether to use the TAB 2D clustering axes also for OAB or go for another approach with new axes. So there are different views and it may not be easy to converge. Leif stated that he prefers a light solution, taking a few weeks, not months. This will be discussed in the next meeting on June 10th.
  9. Finance Committee - Walter
    • Walter: Committee appropriate regulations and rules for managing the money. Tehcnical, finance, legal committee rules and regulations. Not what the money will be spent for . Mark asked an OAB member. Nancy Carter is a lawyer in CANARIE and CFO and is going to be involved. Again transparency on how not, on what the money is spent.   
    • Kevin: OK - want to ask if the charity is UK based. If so, needs more UK-knowledgeable involvement. Yes. Then need  UK auditor as well as accountants.
    • Mark has identified an accounting group that seems to be a good one.
    • Kevin: OK, but accountants & auditor need separation. Will input at more length by email.
    • There is also another group overseeing things where Doris (Council) is the chair. The group has not yet met
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update - Hilary
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
        • Launch: Data Challenge for Climate Challenge (2nd of the 3 plenary days) and Demo days. Climate Change centers - winner to present in an event. Oland (president) and Oettinger (Commissionner) invited. 
        • Mustapha: A WDS side event will be organized on 6 July at UNESCO and RDA is engaged :) Hilary: Some of the key climate data centres will participate in the WDS side event. We might want to liaise for the RDA event.
        • PC invited. On 22: e-Infrastructure for data intensive science side-event by EC: distributed computing etc. Very open workshop. Outputs.
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 28 Feb - 3 March 2016, or 2nd week of April 2016
      • Plenary 8 - USA, may be in Washington or Baltimore (Not possible in Canada)
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Mark/Hilary/Fotis
      • 13 members have paid their dues until beg. of April out of 28. Kind reminder for the rest.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm to be hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • May meeting. A doodle to be circulated for 26-28 May. Discuss alternating time schedules for May and the next months (until August at least). 2 cycle schedule or maybe a 3 cycle schedule (more friendly for Japan-Australia-New Zeland)
    • Kathy: TAB is using the 3 cycles approach.
      • 2 cycles:
        • US friendly: 21:00 UTC or 22:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 21:00 14:00 17:00 22:00 23:00 00:00   (27 May)       06:00 (27 May)  07:00  (27 May)  09:00     (27 May) 
          22:00 15:00 18:00 23:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00 (27 May) 07;00 (27 May) 08:00  (27 May) 10:00     (27 May)
        • EU friendly: 13:00, 14:00 or 15:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 13:00 06:00 09:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 22:00 23:00 01:00     (27 May) 
          14:00 07:00 10:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 23;00 00:00   (27 May) 02:00     (27 May)
          15:00 08:00 11:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00   (27 May) 03:00     (27 May)
      • 3 cycles
        • EU-far east friendly: 07:00 UTC or 08:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 07:00 00:00 03:00 08:00 09:00

          10:00    

          16:00  17:00 19:00
          08:00 01:00 04:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 17;00  18:00 20:00
        • US-far east friendly: 23:00, 00:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 23:00 16:00 19:00 00:00 (27 May)

          01:00       (27 May)

          02:00 (27 May) 08:00 (27 May) 09:00   (27 May) 11:00     (27 May) 
          00:00 27 May 17:00 (26 May) 20:00       (26 May) 01:00 02:00 03:00 09;00 10:00 12:00
        • EU-US-friendly: 15:00, 16:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 15:00 08:00 11:00 16:00

          17:00

          18:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00   (27 May) 03:00     (27 May) 
          16:00 26 May 09:00 12:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 01;00 (27 May) 02:00   (27 May) 04:00     (27 May)
  12. Termination

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.

Original agenda

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
    • New members: Larry Lannom, Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI), USA, John Towns, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), USA
    • 28 Organisational Members and 5 Affiliate Members=33 members. When 36 members reached, we would need election for a separate OAB (from OA); currently OA=OAB.
  3. Minutes of the San Diego meeting - (for comments - to be approved in the next call)
    • Actions:
      • Leif to lead a subgroup on a OAB clustering. Members:  Amy, Jill, Leif, Mustpha Ross, Steven.
      • Juan/Walter: After the OAB clustering effort is done, organise a joint meeting with TAB.
      • Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include in the OAB agendas an standard item for new WGs/RFCs.
      • Juan/Walter/Fotis: Include outputs/outputs review as a regular/frequent item in the agenda.
      • Walter to bring to the strategic planning steering committee for review the list of OA benefits
      • Fotis to subscribe Adam Farquhar, Datacite to the OAB group
  4. Business Arising from the Minutes
  5. Reflections from San Diego - Reactions from Adoption day (for discussion)
    • San Diego plenary evaluation report - Hilary (document)
    • Discussion
  6. Strategic Planning update - Walter
  7. WG/IG updates and RFCs / TAB update - Fotis / Andrew
  8. OAB clustering exercise - Leif
  9. Finance Committee - Walter
  10. Other Business
    • Future plenaries update - Hilary
      • Plenary 6 - Paris, France, 22-25 September 2016 (organised by CAP Digital)
      • Plenary 7 - Tokyo, Japan, 28 Feb - 3 March 2016, or 2nd week of April 2016
      • Plenary 8 - USA, may be in Washington or Baltimore (Not possible in Canada)
      • Plenary 9 - Barcelona, Spain  (organised by BSC). To investigate dates in 2nd / 3rd week of March 2017
    • Short news from secretariat- Mark/Hilary/Fotis
      • 13 members have paid their dues until beg. of April out of 28. Kind reminder for the rest.
      • RDA foundation to now apply for charity status 
      • RDA individual membership updated monthly statistics
      • UK accounting firm to be hired for accounting support
      • Australian blog now live: http://rdaaustralia.blogspot.com.au/
      • RDA website and repository - updates. On-going work on website (already home page updated) and new repository soon (from filedepot to EUDAT).
  11. Next Meetings
    • May meeting. A doodle to be circulated for 26-28 May. Discuss alternating time schedules for May and the next months (until August at least). 2 cycle schedule or maybe a 3 cycle schedule (more friendly for Japan-Australia-New Zeland)
      • 2 cycles:
        • US friendly: 21:00 UTC or 22:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 21:00 14:00 17:00 22:00 23:00 00:00   (27 May)       06:00 (27 May)  07:00  (27 May)  09:00     (27 May) 
          22:00 15:00 18:00 23:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00 (27 May) 07;00 (27 May) 08:00  (27 May) 10:00     (27 May)
        • EU friendly: 13:00, 14:00 or 15:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 13:00 06:00 09:00 14:00 15:00 16:00 22:00 23:00 01:00     (27 May) 
          14:00 07:00 10:00 15:00 16:00 17:00 23;00 00:00   (27 May) 02:00     (27 May)
          15:00 08:00 11:00 16:00 17:00 18:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00   (27 May) 03:00     (27 May)
      • 3 cycles
        • EU-far east friendly: 07:00 UTC or 08:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 07:00 00:00 03:00 08:00 09:00

          10:00    

          16:00  17:00 19:00
          08:00 01:00 04:00 09:00 10:00 11:00 17;00  18:00 20:00
        • US-far east friendly: 23:00, 00:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 23:00 16:00 19:00 00:00 (27 May)

          01:00       (27 May)

          02:00 (27 May) 08:00 (27 May) 09:00   (27 May) 11:00     (27 May) 
          00:00 27 May 17:00 (26 May) 20:00       (26 May) 01:00 02:00 03:00 09;00 10:00 12:00
        • EU-US-friendly: 15:00, 16:00 UTC
          UTC Los Angeles (PDT) Washington D.C. (EDT) London (BST)

          Paris(CEST)

          Helsinki (EEST) Tokyo (JST) Canberra (AEST) Wellington (NZST)
          Tue 26 May 15:00 08:00 11:00 16:00

          17:00

          18:00 00:00 (27 May) 01:00   (27 May) 03:00     (27 May) 
          16:00 26 May 09:00 12:00 17:00 18:00 19:00 01;00 (27 May) 02:00   (27 May) 04:00     (27 May)
  12. Termination

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.