Initial OAB July meeting - 8 July 2014 with minutes

Initial OAB July Meeting - Tuesday, July 8th – 22:00 to 24:00 UTC  (18:00 Washington DC time, 23:00 London time, 08:00 [July 9th] Canberra time)

MINUTES

Present:

Walter Stewart Reseach Data Canada, Chair, Amy Nurnberger, Columbia University, USA, Andrew Treloar, ANDS, Australia (TAB representative to OAB), Greg Tananbaum, CEO, SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition), Mark Parsons (Secretary General), Siddeswara Guru, University of Queensland, Australia, Fotis Karayannis, ATHENA, Greece (RDA Secretariat), Stefanie Kethers (Secretariat, minutes), Malcolm Wolski, Griffith University, Australia, Kevin Ashley, DCC, UK, Peter Goodhand, Global Alliance for Genomics and Health, Canada.

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call

See above.

  1. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

The minutes were approved with the comment that with the rotation of the OA meetings between timezones there are mostly different people participating in two consecutive meetings, so there needs to be a plan on how to adopt them. Action Chairs: to discuss the issue of minutes’ approval.

         4. Business Arising from the Minutes

         None.

        5. Report from Council and the Secretary General – Mark

The SG reported the following:

  1. The RDA Foundation still does not have a bank account, so it can’t invoice organisational members yet. This is expected soon, though.
  2. It was reminded that a legal review of the Membership/Subscription Agreement from ORCID Lawyer was performed, thanks to Laure Haak. It was confirmed that there was no risk to RDA with the current draft.  Now the agreements are approved by Council.
  3. Currently, the call is open for TAB nominations. Of the current TAB members, Bill Michener, Peter Wittenburg, Francoise Genova, and either Andrew Treloar or Beth Plale will stand down. Action all: Please talk to and nominate suitable TAB candidates. Spread the word!
  4. OAB Elections: Mark posed the question whether there is a need for a formal OAB election at Plenary 4? The Chair stated that at some point we will need an Organisational Assembly Board that should be smaller than the Organisational Assembly. However, there is no need to set up the Board until there are about 30-35 organisational members. Should continue as-is for the moment; expect election at Plenary 5.
  5. Tiger teams: Tiger team are currently being discussed in Council, TAB, and OA – we need to merge the discussion into something coherent.
    1. The tiger team Mark has been focussing on will exist between Plenaries 4 and 5 and will issue a challenge for a team to get together and demonstrate cool adoptions of the Outcomes from the early RDA WGs. The teams will get a forum at Plenary 5, with a small reward, to demonstrate coolness. Organisational members should be engaged in this, as this is about adoption. It would be best if the tiger teams solved a real problem, rather than provide a proof of concept, but identifying the real problem may be challenging. We would need more people from disciplines involved in RDA for this. Mark points out that the Deep Carbon people will be adopting some RDA outcomes. It was stated that having stakeholders (interested in adoption) named, may be effective and it was agreed that the more people review Case Statements, the more they are shape to address community needs. This discussion also took place at the Council level, i.e. having end-users and/or industry involvement before approving a Working Group. It was also stated that the TAB also cares about adoption and sustainability.  
    2. The second tiger team issue is around engaging industry more broadly and increasing the organisational membership. Mark feels that the message to the private sector is currently not resonating well. RDA will need to demonstrate more usefulness, e.g. open data that the private sector can work with and more products. Mark is not sure if the tiger team approach is best for this at this point.
  6. Request For Comments (RFCs) (as a follow-up point from the above): Please look at the Case Statements open for comment (see orange box on https://www.rd-alliance.org/) and help shape them. RDA needs to make sure that the WG products can be used. RDA is supposed to produce real things that will be used. This drives forward organisational membership - organisations will be drivers of adoption. Stakeholders are encouraged to join Working Groups for this purpose; Council, when reviewing case statements, looks for involvement of potential adopters.
    1. Suggestion: OA to review current case statements during their calls, if only to draw attention to the ones currently open for comment. How do we encourage outside people to comment? Current list of Case Statements open for comment:
      1. RDA Brokering Governance, looking at governance and sustainability models for brokers. This may be interesting for some organisations.
      2. Summer Schools in Data Science and Cloud Computing in the Developing World, looking at how to train people in the developing world to make better use of cloud computing.
      3. Urban Quality of Life Indicators, looking at enabling stakeholders to build comparable indicators of Urban Quality of Life.
      4. Action all: Please have a look at and comment on case statements
      5. Action Chairs: A standing item in the agenda to review case statements of WGs.
  7. Walter has told the organisers of Plenary 4 that the Organisational Assembly meeting requires 2 slots of 90 mins each. The meeting should not coincide with the TAB and Council meetings. There should also be a business meeting outside of Plenary 4.
  1. Plenary 4 Organisation Assembly
    1. Membership Signing – Walter Stewart for Juan Bicarregui

The chair stated that he is hopeful to proceed as part of organisation assembly to sign membership agreements. No capacity to receive money / issue invoices yet, but hopefully by Plenary 4 in Amsterdam.

  1. Panel Discussion – Walter Stewart

The goal at Amsterdam is to have a panel discussion with diverse organisational members. Speakers will have 10 mins each, to address 4 topics:

  • Why does the organisation care?
  • What barriers do they encounter in data interoperability?
  • What do we hope RDA will achieve?
  • How will we adopt?

Volunteers so far:

  • Amy and Michael – Promotion of organisational membership
  • Laure Haak – ORCID
  • Simon Hodson - CODATA, who has offered his slot for an organisational member rather than organisational affiliate. 

We want at least one representative from the private sector. So far, only Microsoft Research is an industry partner. Tony Hey will be at the Plenary. It would be good to get more involvement from the private sector, and more speakers for the panel.

Action Walter: Ask Tony Hey, Microsoft Research, if he would be a speaker on the panel.

Tony Hey and Patrick Cocquet lead an initiative on private sector engagement.

  1. Report on relations with TAB – Walter Stewart for Juan Bicarregui

Walter welcomes Andrew Treloar, who will be the TAB representative in this time slot. The OA wants to work closely with TAB, especially around adoption. TAB needs to know what organisations look for, and to hear directly from the OA. One TAB Co-Chair at least will be in the OA meeting in Amsterdam. Currently, there is no OA member participating in the TAB meetings – this could be established, if OA wants.

Action Chairs: Discuss whether an OA member is nominated to the TAB.

Please also note that Jamie Shiers is both a member of the OA, and of TAB.

  1. Promotion of the Organisational Membership – Michael Witt.

Michael Witt and Amy volunteered previously to begin shaping group to increase org membership. Will have something to discuss in Amsterdam.

Action Michael and Amy: Work on the promotion of Organisational Membership and present in the Amsterdam OA panel.

        8. Other Business

       None.

       9. Next Meetings

There will be no meetings in August.We will meet as the Organisational Assembly at Plenary 4 in Amsterdam in September.

  1. Termination – Meeting closed at 22:48 UTC

 

AGENDA

https://global.gotomeeting.com/meeting/join/643471389 -  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended not to inject echo to the call. Please mut when you are not speaking and  try to join 5 minutes earlier to download all required plugins.

You can also call in using normal telephone:  Australia: +61 2 9087 3604, Canada: +1 (647) 497-9350, Finland: +358 (0) 931 58 1746, France: +33 (0) 182 880 780, Germany: +49 (0) 811 8899 6900, Ireland: +353 (0) 15 290 180, Italy: +39 0 699 26 68 58, Netherlands: +31 (0) 208 908 267, Spain: +34 911 23 0850, United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3535 0611, United States: +1 (773) 945-1031, Access Code: 643-471-389

Note:  Go To Meeting has a limited number of video windows.  Please keep your video off until you wish to speak.  Your image coming up on the screen will then function as notice to the chair that you should join the speakers list.  Please remember to shut down the video when you have finished speaking.

 

  1. Call to Order
  2. Roll Call
  3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
  4. Business Arising from the Minutes:
  5. Report from Council and the Secretary General – Mark
  6. Plenary 4 Organisation Assembly
    1. Membership Signing – Juan Bicaurregi
    2. Panel Discussion – Walter Stewart
    3. Report on relations with TAB – Juan Bicaurregi
  7. Promotion of the Organisational Membership – Michael Witt
  8. Other Business
  9. Next Meetings

There will be no meetings in August.  We will meet as the Organisational Assembly at Plenary 4 in Amsterdam in September

  1. Termination