Re: [tab][rda-oab] Thoughts on large P8 collaboration?

01 Apr 2015
Groups audience: 

Hi Mark,

That sonds like a very good plan and I will try to add something, knowing that it is the 1st of April today!

* Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to reach out to new research communities and to explore what RDA can contribute to for these communities

* Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to look at differences/synergies/collaborations between long term and policy oriented working groups and the RDA more short term ones.

* It would also be great to define and perhaps being able to put some money into pilot projects to showcase the power in using research data across research disciplines and country borders. I think we don’t put enough of effort onto showcase things and this we are a bit lacking the visions.

Thanks,

— leif

> On 01 Apr 2015, at 04:54, Mark Parsons wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As part of the ongoing collaboration between RDA, ICSU/WDS, and CODATA, the three organisations are collocating and coordinating RDA Plenary 8 and CODATA/WDS SciDataCon to conduct a major International Data Week in September 2016 (see concept note). It seems likely it will be in Montreal, but if not we will probably go back to Washington DC.
>
> I have been working with Kathy, Hilary and the WDS and CODATA directors to establish a general plan for the meeting. The idea is for the conferences to be independent and to have separate program committees, but for there to be some level of collaboration and to have one overarching organizing committee. The general schedule would be to have SciDataCon Mon-Tue, P8 Thu-Fri, and a joint day or session on the Wed. in the middle. The joint session should highlight joint activities and accomplishments of the three orgs. without being too self-referential. We want to demonstrate impact on key issues and engage more diverse stakeholders than usual.
>
> Please send me any ideas you might have on this joint session or suggestions for the program committee.
>
> cheers,
>
> -m.
> --
> Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-technical-advisory-board-tab-rda-o...
> Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
> Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/48018

  • Jamie Shiers's picture

    Author: Jamie Shiers

    Date: 01 Apr, 2015

    Yes, I agree with Leif - we should try to actively involve these communities and related projects in the organisation so that they feel involved, committed and maybe even in the driving seat!

    May the force be with you.

    Cheers, Jamie

    http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2015/04/cern-researchers-confirm-e...

    On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Leif.Laaksonen >
    wrote:

    Hi Mark,

    That sonds like a very good plan and I will try to add something, knowing that it is the 1st of April today!

    * Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to reach out to new research communities and to explore what RDA can contribute to for these communities

    * Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to look at differences/synergies/collaborations between long term and policy oriented working groups and the RDA more short term ones.

    * It would also be great to define and perhaps being able to put some money into pilot projects to showcase the power in using research data across research disciplines and country borders. I think we don’t put enough of effort onto showcase things and this we are a bit lacking the visions.

    Thanks,

    — leif

    On 01 Apr 2015, at 04:54, Mark Parsons > wrote:

    Hi all,

    As part of the ongoing collaboration between RDA, ICSU/WDS, and CODATA, the three organisations are collocating and coordinating RDA Plenary 8 and CODATA/WDS SciDataCon to conduct a major International Data Week in September 2016 (see concept note). It seems likely it will be in Montreal, but if not we will probably go back to Washington DC.

    I have been working with Kathy, Hilary and the WDS and CODATA directors to establish a general plan for the meeting. The idea is for the conferences to be independent and to have separate program committees, but for there to be some level of collaboration and to have one overarching organizing committee. The general schedule would be to have SciDataCon Mon-Tue, P8 Thu-Fri, and a joint day or session on the Wed. in the middle. The joint session should highlight joint activities and accomplishments of the three orgs. without being too self-referential. We want to demonstrate impact on key issues and engage more diverse stakeholders than usual.

    Please send me any ideas you might have on this joint session or suggestions for the program committee.

    cheers,

    -m.
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-technical-advisory-board-tab-rda-o...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/48018

    --
    Full post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-advisory-board-oab/...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/48021

  • Mark Parsons's picture

    Author: Mark Parsons

    Date: 02 Apr, 2015

    Thanks all for the ideas. Keep them coming as you think of them either to me or Hilary.

    cheers,

    -m.
    On Apr 1, 2015, at 1:45 AM, Jamie Shiers > wrote:

    Yes, I agree with Leif - we should try to actively involve these communities and related projects in the organisation so that they feel involved, committed and maybe even in the driving seat!

    May the force be with you.

    Cheers, Jamie

    http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2015/04/cern-researchers-confirm-e...

    On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Leif.Laaksonen >
    wrote:

    Hi Mark,

    That sonds like a very good plan and I will try to add something, knowing that it is the 1st of April today!

    * Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to reach out to new research communities and to explore what RDA can contribute to for these communities

    * Having a joint session with CODATA/WDS/ICSU would enable RDA to look at differences/synergies/collaborations between long term and policy oriented working groups and the RDA more short term ones.

    * It would also be great to define and perhaps being able to put some money into pilot projects to showcase the power in using research data across research disciplines and country borders. I think we don’t put enough of effort onto showcase things and this we are a bit lacking the visions.

    Thanks,

    — leif

    On 01 Apr 2015, at 04:54, Mark Parsons > wrote:

    Hi all,

    As part of the ongoing collaboration between RDA, ICSU/WDS, and CODATA, the three organisations are collocating and coordinating RDA Plenary 8 and CODATA/WDS SciDataCon to conduct a major International Data Week in September 2016 (see concept note). It seems likely it will be in Montreal, but if not we will probably go back to Washington DC.

    I have been working with Kathy, Hilary and the WDS and CODATA directors to establish a general plan for the meeting. The idea is for the conferences to be independent and to have separate program committees, but for there to be some level of collaboration and to have one overarching organizing committee. The general schedule would be to have SciDataCon Mon-Tue, P8 Thu-Fri, and a joint day or session on the Wed. in the middle. The joint session should highlight joint activities and accomplishments of the three orgs. without being too self-referential. We want to demonstrate impact on key issues and engage more diverse stakeholders than usual.

    Please send me any ideas you might have on this joint session or suggestions for the program committee.

    cheers,

    -m.
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-technical-advisory-board-tab-rda-o...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/48018

    --
    Full post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-advisory-board-oab/...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/48021

submit a comment