We are living in a digitally transformed society. Data drives problem solving and better decision making. While the digital revolution has transformed the way we live, solving many issues; it has also given rise to numerous questions and challenges which affect everyone. What governance policies and frameworks are needed to make sure digital technologies and opportunities are available for everyone and there are no monopolies created? How do we make sure there are proper governance mechanisms in place to embed values in all data ecosystems?
The Ethical Data Initiative provides a neutral space to bring together diverse actors and stakeholders, shaping the future of data governance. In doing so, we aim to increase equality and inclusivity in the data space; building data confidence and empowering the digital citizens of tomorrow.
The Ethical Data Initiative is working with a consortium of over 20 universities in South East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda) to establish Ethical Data Research Centres in Universities in Africa to build capacity in Data Science and Data Ethics. More details at https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2022/11/28/call-for-hosting-ethical-da...
Key aims :
- Provide a neutral space to enable multilateral conversations in data ethics.
- Provide Ethical Digital Leadership, priority setting, collaboration, development, and guidance to both public and private sectors.
- Co-develop with interested organisations policy frameworks for Data Ethics in consultation with all stakeholders.
- Co-develop with interested universities and scientific organisations a series of Executive Education Programmes, aimed at senior government officials and industry leaders.
- Provide advice in Data Ethics and Data governance to governments, industry and the research community.
- Co-develop with interested organisations Digital Citizenship Training for the education sector.
- Co-develop with interested organisations policy, programmes and campaigns to raise public awareness around the importance of data ethics.
- Growing a partnership community to amplify key messages and output.
On behalf of the Ethical Data Initiative and the African Institute of Capacity Development (AICAD), we would like to invite you to a Webinar exploring “The Importance of Data Ethics in Research and Education”. This online event, jointly organised by AICAD and the Ethical Data Initiative, will take place on Monday 6 March from 12h00-13h30 UTC. Please share this webinar invite to all staff and students.
More details of the webinar and how to register is at https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2023/02/27/the-importance-of-data-ethi...
We welcome ideas and proposals for establishing Ethical Data Research Centres in UK Universities to build knowledge and capacity for data ethics in all UK universities.
Details at https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2022/11/28/call-for-hosting-ethical-da...
If you are interested in building knowledge and capacity in data ethics or discussing potential areas for collaboration, please contact us.
Dr Suchith Anand
Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organisations | Scientist | Board member | Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data Science and Data Ethics | Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate
The Importance of Data Ethics in Research and Education
You are here