The call for papers below may be of interest to group members.
- Show quoted text -From: Archivists, conservators and records managers. [mailto:***@***.***] On Behalf Of Anne-Flore Laloë
Sent: 02 May 2016 08:20
Subject: Workshop on Scientific Archives / Heidelberg 1-2 November 2016
Call for Papers - Workshop on Scientific Archives
1 – 2 November 2016
It is a pleasure to invite you to a workshop on scientific archives at EMBL in Heidelberg, Germany on 1-2 November 2016.
The purpose of this workshop is to bring together archivists working in scientific institutions or with scientific collections, and academics using such collections, to discuss the opportunities and challenges presented by, among other topics:
- Working with scientists to capture current material
- Cataloguing and facilitating access to specialist collections
- Working with actors across the organization to provide as full a picture of the present as possible
- Governance in our institutions and of material
- Digital preservation applied to scientific collections
- Using collections for outreach and communication
Confirmed speakers include, Jenny Shaw (Special Collections Manager at the Wellcome Trust, London, GB), Giulio Superti-Furga (Scientific Director at the Research Center for Molecular Medicine, Vienna, Austria, and the former chair of the EMBL Alumni Association) and Melanie Mueller (Acting Director at the Niels Bohr Library & Archives, College Park, MD, USA).
I am also organising a roundtable with EMBL scientists.
Suggested themes include (but are not limited to):
- Processes – Working practices to capture and catalogue material
- Profession – Scientists working with archivists and vice-versa
- Outreach – Using and sharing resources among ourselves, scientists and the public
- Governance – Capturing our organizations’ science and administration
- Digital collections – Scientific collections in the digital age
Please submit 300-word abstract by Friday 24 June 2016.
Selected speakers will be notified by Friday 8 July. The full programme will be finalized by Friday 29 July.
Feel free to circulate this to your networks; for any questions, please contact me directly.
I look forward to receiving your abstracts and seeing you in November in Heidelberg!
The workshop will start on Tuesday 1 November at 14:00 (registration) and end on Wednesday 2 November at 17:00.
EMBL will contribute to speakers’ travel costs and their registration fee will be waived.
Spaces are strictly limited! Please let me know as soon as possible if you plan to attend and/or submit an abstract. You will be asked to register online after the programme has been finalized. Please beware of booking travel before your registration is confirmed.
The registration fee for participants will be €100. This will contribute to accommodation, meals, refreshments and transport between EMBL and the hotel.
Following the workshop, you might be interested in attending the 17th EMBL | EMBO Science and Society Conference – “The Past in the Present - The Making of Memories”, which will take place on 3 & 4 November 2016. More information here: http://www.embl.de/training/events/2016/SNS16-01/index.html
Dr Anne-Flore Laloë
Archivist | European Molecular Biology Laboratory Meyerhofstraße 1 | 69117 Heidelberg | Germany
***@***.*** | +49 (0)6221 387-8719 www.embl.org | www.embl.org/archive
Contact the list owner for assistance at ***@***.***
For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=archives-nra
The Royal Irish Academy is subject to the Freedom of Information Acts 2014 and is compliant with the provisions of the Data Protection Acts 1988 & 2003. For further information see our website www.ria.ie
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
FW: Workshop on Scientific Archives / Heidelberg 1-2 November 2016
You are here