Anyone have any slides on RDA

15 Jun 2016
Groups audience: 

Hi
I have to present to a group of 70 librarians tomorrow (at short notice)
and wanted to include a couple of slides about the RDA eg what they do, #
members, # WG/IGs etc (& of course give a plug why they should join).
Does anyone have any slides they've prepared earlier - is there an official
RDA slide pack I can use?
*Malcolm Wolski, Director*
*eResearch Services, Division of Information Services*
*Griffith University *
*| Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47 T +61 7 37354323 |
0407 636 117| *****@***.*** <***@***.***>*
griffith.edu.au
PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the
use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential
or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or
responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard
the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author
immediately.

  • Juan Bicarregui's picture

    Author: Juan Bicarregui

    Date: 15 Jun, 2016

    Malcolm,
    Have a look here:
    https://rd-alliance.org/about-rda/who-rda.html
    Juan
    - Show quoted text -From: m.wolski=***@***.***-groups.org [m.wolski=***@***.***-groups.org] on behalf of wolskim [***@***.***]
    Sent: 15 June 2016 07:57
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org; Stefanie Kethers
    Subject: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Hi
    I have to present to a group of 70 librarians tomorrow (at short notice) and wanted to include a couple of slides about the RDA eg what they do, # members, # WG/IGs etc (& of course give a plug why they should join).
    Does anyone have any slides they've prepared earlier - is there an official RDA slide pack I can use?
    Malcolm Wolski, Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 | 0407 636 117| ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.

  • Hilary Hanahoe's picture

    Author: Hilary Hanahoe

    Date: 15 Jun, 2016

    Dear Malcolm,
    Juan correctly pointed you to the web page where we update the
    "RDA in a Nutshell" slides every month.
    I attach the June ones for you too.
    Kind regards
    [1] mailto:***@***.***
    [2] http://griffith.edu.au
    [3] https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    [4] https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    [5] https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892

    ATTACHMENT: 
    AttachmentSize
    File RDA_in_a_nutshell_June2016.pptx2.92 MB

  • Michael Witt's picture

    Author: Michael Witt

    Date: 15 Jun, 2016

    Hi Malcom, since you are meeting with librarians, you may share some of the activities of the Libraries for Research Data Interest Group, which are summarized with links to materials from our wiki page:
    https://rd-alliance.org/groups/libraries-research-data/wiki/libraries-re...
    We'd welcome their involvement in the group too. Best,
    -
    Michael Witt, Purdue University
    Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
    Associate Professor of Library Science
    http://www.lib.purdue.edu/research/witt/
    - Show quoted text -From: h.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Hilary Hanahoe
    Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:01 AM
    To: wolskim <***@***.***>; ***@***.***-groups.org; Stefanie Kethers <***@***.***>
    Subject: Re: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Dear Malcolm,
    Juan correctly pointed you to the web page where we update the "RDA in a Nutshell" slides every month.
    I attach the June ones for you too.
    Kind regards
    Hilary
    On 15/06/2016 08:57, wolskim wrote:
    Hi
    I have to present to a group of 70 librarians tomorrow (at short notice) and wanted to include a couple of slides about the RDA eg what they do, # members, # WG/IGs etc (& of course give a plug why they should join).
    Does anyone have any slides they've prepared earlier - is there an official RDA slide pack I can use?
    Malcolm Wolski,  Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University  | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 |  0407 636 117|  ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged.  If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892

  • Malcolm Wolski's picture

    Author: Malcolm Wolski

    Date: 16 Jun, 2016

    Thank you. Much appreciated.
    On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Hilary Hanahoe <
    ***@***.***-itservices.com> wrote:

  • Malcolm Wolski's picture

    Author: Malcolm Wolski

    Date: 19 Jun, 2016

    Michael
    I have noticed on occasion that when explaining RDA to other parties they
    seem a bit nonplussed about where to start. So on this occasion when
    speaking to a roomful of librarians (from about 6 Universities) I
    recommended the Libraries for Research Data IG as a good place to start. I
    think the slides will be distributed in the next week so you might see some
    new blood.
    Coincidentally I also had a discussion with some library staff from the
    National Singapore University on Friday who were doing a bit of a fact
    finding mission around research data management. I gave them the same
    advice.
    Upon reflection I had a couple of curiosity questions given IGs have been
    in existence for some time now.
    As a Chair how do you find out about new member growth?
    Do you do a periodic "Welcome to new members" email and perhaps explain the
    current discussion threads/hot topics. One problem I can see from the
    Thursday presentation is that newcomers may sign up and be reluctant to
    participate coming in half way through a thread etc. Plus at this time of
    year a lot of groups are saving online discussions in preparation for the
    Plenary (which could make some groups look a little inactive).
    Malcolm

  • Michael Witt's picture

    Author: Michael Witt

    Date: 19 Jun, 2016

    Hi Malcolm, as far as I know, the only way to know to monitor growth in a group is to eyeball the list of subscribers on the website every once and a while. We don't send a periodic welcome email (that's a good idea, we should try it). The Libraries group is enormous with over 200 members, and almost all of our engagement is around the plenary meetings and not as much in between through email or virtual meetings. For the last three plenary meetings, we've budgeted time at the beginning for a brief orientation to the group and an overview of its past activities, to help get everyone up to speed. Typically each meeting has its own theme and agenda from scratch, so there's not much coming in mid-stream. But how would someone who is new the group know this? Maybe a short primer would help. I'd be interested to hear what other, long-ish standing interest groups are doing.
    -
    Michael Witt, Purdue University
    Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
    Associate Professor of Library Science
    http://www.lib.purdue.edu/research/witt/
    ________________________________
    From: Malcolm Wolski <***@***.***>
    Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:33 AM
    To: Witt, Michael C.
    Cc: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Michael
    I have noticed on occasion that when explaining RDA to other parties they seem a bit nonplussed about where to start. So on this occasion when speaking to a roomful of librarians (from about 6 Universities) I recommended the Libraries for Research Data IG as a good place to start. I think the slides will be distributed in the next week so you might see some new blood.
    Coincidentally I also had a discussion with some library staff from the National Singapore University on Friday who were doing a bit of a fact finding mission around research data management. I gave them the same advice.
    Upon reflection I had a couple of curiosity questions given IGs have been in existence for some time now.
    As a Chair how do you find out about new member growth?
    Do you do a periodic "Welcome to new members" email and perhaps explain the current discussion threads/hot topics. One problem I can see from the Thursday presentation is that newcomers may sign up and be reluctant to participate coming in half way through a thread etc. Plus at this time of year a lot of groups are saving online discussions in preparation for the Plenary (which could make some groups look a little inactive).
    Malcolm
    On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:12 AM, mwittin <***@***.***> wrote:
    Hi Malcom, since you are meeting with librarians, you may share some of the activities of the Libraries for Research Data Interest Group, which are summarized with links to materials from our wiki page:
    https://rd-alliance.org/groups/libraries-research-data/wiki/libraries-re...
    We'd welcome their involvement in the group too. Best,
    -
    Michael Witt, Purdue University
    Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
    Associate Professor of Library Science
    http://www.lib.purdue.edu/research/witt/
    - Show quoted text -From: h.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:h.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Hilary Hanahoe
    Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:01 AM
    To: wolskim <***@***.***>; ***@***.***-groups.org; Stefanie Kethers <***@***.***>
    Subject: Re: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Dear Malcolm,
    Juan correctly pointed you to the web page where we update the "RDA in a Nutshell" slides every month.
    I attach the June ones for you too.
    Kind regards
    Hilary
    On 15/06/2016 08:57, wolskim wrote:
    Hi
    I have to present to a group of 70 librarians tomorrow (at short notice) and wanted to include a couple of slides about the RDA eg what they do, # members, # WG/IGs etc (& of course give a plug why they should join).
    Does anyone have any slides they've prepared earlier - is there an official RDA slide pack I can use?
    Malcolm Wolski, Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 | 0407 636 117| ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892
    --
    Full post:
    https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892
    --
    Malcolm Wolski, Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 | 0407 636 117| ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.

  • Mark Parsons's picture

    Author: Mark Parsons

    Date: 20 Jun, 2016

    A good point, Malcolm and Michael. Perhaps this is a discussion for all the WG/IG chairs. If desired, you can reach them all at ***@***.***-groups.org
    cheers,
    -m.
    On Jun 19, 2016, at 14:31, mwittin <***@***.***> wrote:
    Hi Malcolm, as far as I know, the only way to know to monitor growth in a group is to eyeball the list of subscribers on the website every once and a while. We don't send a periodic welcome email (that's a good idea, we should try it). The Libraries group is enormous with over 200 members, and almost all of our engagement is around the plenary meetings and not as much in between through email or virtual meetings. For the last three plenary meetings, we've budgeted time at the beginning for a brief orientation to the group and an overview of its past activities, to help get everyone up to speed. Typically each meeting has its own theme and agenda from scratch, so there's not much coming in mid-stream. But how would someone who is new the group know this? Maybe a short primer would help. I'd be interested to hear what other, long-ish standing interest groups are doing.
    -
    Michael Witt, Purdue University
    Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
    Associate Professor of Library Science
    http://www.lib.purdue.edu/research/witt/
    ________________________________
    From: Malcolm Wolski <***@***.***>
    Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:33 AM
    To: Witt, Michael C.
    Cc: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: Re: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Michael
    I have noticed on occasion that when explaining RDA to other parties they seem a bit nonplussed about where to start. So on this occasion when speaking to a roomful of librarians (from about 6 Universities) I recommended the Libraries for Research Data IG as a good place to start. I think the slides will be distributed in the next week so you might see some new blood.
    Coincidentally I also had a discussion with some library staff from the National Singapore University on Friday who were doing a bit of a fact finding mission around research data management. I gave them the same advice.
    Upon reflection I had a couple of curiosity questions given IGs have been in existence for some time now.
    As a Chair how do you find out about new member growth?
    Do you do a periodic "Welcome to new members" email and perhaps explain the current discussion threads/hot topics. One problem I can see from the Thursday presentation is that newcomers may sign up and be reluctant to participate coming in half way through a thread etc. Plus at this time of year a lot of groups are saving online discussions in preparation for the Plenary (which could make some groups look a little inactive).
    Malcolm
    On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:12 AM, mwittin <***@***.***> wrote:
    Hi Malcom, since you are meeting with librarians, you may share some of the activities of the Libraries for Research Data Interest Group, which are summarized with links to materials from our wiki page:
    https://rd-alliance.org/groups/libraries-research-data/wiki/libraries-re...
    We'd welcome their involvement in the group too. Best,
    -
    Michael Witt, Purdue University
    Head, Distributed Data Curation Center (D2C2)
    Associate Professor of Library Science
    http://www.lib.purdue.edu/research/witt/
    - Show quoted text -From: h.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:h.hanahoe=***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Hilary Hanahoe
    Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:01 AM
    To: wolskim <***@***.***>; ***@***.***-groups.org; Stefanie Kethers <***@***.***>
    Subject: Re: [rda-oab] Anyone have any slides on RDA
    Dear Malcolm,
    Juan correctly pointed you to the web page where we update the "RDA in a Nutshell" slides every month.
    I attach the June ones for you too.
    Kind regards
    Hilary
    On 15/06/2016 08:57, wolskim wrote:
    Hi
    I have to present to a group of 70 librarians tomorrow (at short notice) and wanted to include a couple of slides about the RDA eg what they do, # members, # WG/IGs etc (& of course give a plug why they should join).
    Does anyone have any slides they've prepared earlier - is there an official RDA slide pack I can use?
    Malcolm Wolski, Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 | 0407 636 117| ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892
    --
    Full post:
    https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post:
    https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892
    --
    Malcolm Wolski, Director
    eResearch Services, Division of Information Services
    Griffith University | Nathan | QLD 4111 | Building location (N53) Room 2.47
    T +61 7 37354323 | 0407 636 117| ***@***.***
    griffith.edu.au
    PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you receive this email and you are not the addressee or responsible for delivery of the email to the addressee(s), please disregard the contents of the email, delete the mail and notify the author immediately.
    --
    Full post: https://rd-alliance.org/group/rda-organisational-assembly/post/anyone-ha...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/52892

  • Kathleen Fontaine's picture

    Author: Kathleen Fontaine

    Date: 20 Jun, 2016

    Hi guys -
    As far as I know, the groups track their own membership. There is a quick
    and dirty, rough approximation way to do this, and that is to look at when
    the members joined RDA. Chances are, you got new members as they joined
    RDA, so that could give you some approximate growth rate.
    Do you need something like that, or are you just curious?
    Cheers
    Kathy (RDA Secretariat)

  • Rebecca Koskela's picture

    Author: Rebecca Koskela

    Date: 20 Jun, 2016

    All,
    As co-lead of both a WG and IGs, I get email each time someone signs up to
    become a part of that group so it really isn't necessary to check the list
    to look for new members. However, I think a conversation about keeping
    members engaged is worthwhile. It's most common to see activity before and
    after the plenaries but it's nice to have activity between those events.
    Online meetings are good but also challenging because of all the timezones.
    Best,
    Rebeccca
    Executive Director, DataONE
    University of New Mexico
    1312 Basehart SE
    Albuquerque, NM 87106
    Email: ***@***.***
    Cell: (505) 382-0890
    Fax: (505) 246-6007
    On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM, fontaine <***@***.***>
    wrote:

submit a comment