Long Tail meeting in Amsterdam

02 Sep 2014

Hi all,
We will be addressing two major themes at the next Long Tail for Research Data Interest Group meeting in Amsterdam (Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 2pm-5:30pm)
1. The first half of the meeting will look environments that encourage deposit and use of repositories by the research community. This may involve policies, incentives, tools, etc.
2. The second half of the meeting will involve a discussion about business models for long tail RDM services.
I would like to leave 1/2 hour or so at the end of the meeting to talk about what work the Interest Group can undertake between the plenaries, and identify some realistic deliverables that could be achieved.
For each of the two themes, I am looking for case studies to share during the meeting. We will try to choose case studies that reflect different approaches, without too much repetition. If you would like to contribute, please let me know.
Meanwhile, I will identify some parameters to help standardize and compare the information, especially in terms of business models.
As always, feel free to get in touch if you have comments or questions.
All the best, Kathleen
Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director, COAR
***@***.***-repositories.org
www.coar-repositories.org
Skype: kathleen.shearer2
+1 514 847 9068

  • Veerle Van den Eynden's picture

    Author: Veerle Van den ...

    Date: 02 Sep, 2014

    Hi Kathleen,
    We've just finished a study on "Incentives for sharing research data", for Knowledge Exchange; 5 case studies (research groups) in 5 European countries: http://www.data-archive.ac.uk/about/projects/incentive
    The report will be out in 2 weeks' time. I'm happy to report on that at the session.
    Regards, Veerle
    ___________________________________
    Dr Veerle Van den Eynden
    Manager Research Data Management Team
    ___________________________________
    T +44(0) 1206 872234
    E ***@***.***
    W ukdataservice.ac.uk
    ___________________________________
    UK Data Service
    UK Data Archive
    University of Essex
    New book: Corti, L., Van den Eynden, V., Bishop, L and Woollard, M. Managing and Sharing Research Data: A Guide to Good Practice. Sage Publications Ltd. http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/9781446267264
    ___________________________________
    Legal Disclaimer: Any views expressed by the sender of this message
    are not necessarily those of the UK Data Service or the UK Data Archive.
    This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
    the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed.
    On 2 Sep 2014, at 17:09, Kathleen Shearer wrote:
    Hi all,
    We will be addressing two major themes at the next Long Tail for Research Data Interest Group meeting in Amsterdam (Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 2pm-5:30pm)
    1. The first half of the meeting will look environments that encourage deposit and use of repositories by the research community. This may involve policies, incentives, tools, etc.
    2. The second half of the meeting will involve a discussion about business models for long tail RDM services.
    I would like to leave 1/2 hour or so at the end of the meeting to talk about what work the Interest Group can undertake between the plenaries, and identify some realistic deliverables that could be achieved.
    For each of the two themes, I am looking for case studies to share during the meeting. We will try to choose case studies that reflect different approaches, without too much repetition. If you would like to contribute, please let me know.
    Meanwhile, I will identify some parameters to help standardize and compare the information, especially in terms of business models.
    As always, feel free to get in touch if you have comments or questions.
    All the best, Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer
    Executive Director, COAR
    ***@***.***-repositories.org
    www.coar-repositories.org
    Skype: kathleen.shearer2
    +1 514 847 9068
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/long-tail-research-data-ig/post/long-t...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/44938

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 02 Sep, 2014

    That would be great!
    Maybe you could report on that first to give a general overview- and then we could drill down and look more details in some of the case studies.
    Best, Kathleen

  • Robin Rice's picture

    Author: Robin Rice

    Date: 02 Sep, 2014

    Thanks for this, Kathleen. Happy to say I will be there on the Tuesday for
    both.
    Can I ask, does this group have an overall goal of identifying a task that
    we would become an action group to complete? Or are we content with staying
    an interest group and 'just' talking and learning? (If the first, we may
    want more than half an hour for that discussion.)
    Cheers,
    Robin
    From: m.kathleen.shearer=***@***.***-groups.org
    [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of Kathleen
    Shearer
    Sent: 02 September 2014 16:10
    To: ***@***.***-groups.org
    Subject: [rda-tailresearchdata-ig] Long Tail meeting in Amsterdam
    Hi all,
    We will be addressing two major themes at the next Long Tail for Research
    Data Interest Group meeting in Amsterdam (Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from
    2pm-5:30pm)
    1. The first half of the meeting will look environments that encourage
    deposit and use of repositories by the research community. This may involve
    policies, incentives, tools, etc.
    2. The second half of the meeting will involve a discussion about business
    models for long tail RDM services.
    I would like to leave 1/2 hour or so at the end of the meeting to talk about
    what work the Interest Group can undertake between the plenaries, and
    identify some realistic deliverables that could be achieved.
    For each of the two themes! , I am looking for case studies to share during
    the meeting. We will try to choose case studies that reflect different
    approaches, without too much repetition. If you would like to contribute,
    please let me know.
    Meanwhile, I will identify some parameters to help standardize and compare
    the information, especially in terms of business models.
    As always, feel free to get in touch if you have comments or questions.
    All the best, Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer
    Executive Director, COAR
    ***@***.***-repositories.org
    www.coar-repositories.org
    Skype: kathleen.shearer2
    +1 514 847 9068

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 02 Sep, 2014

    Hi Robin,
    Glad to hear that you will be there!
    Yes, it is the former. I hope that we can start now identifying some more pragmatic deliverables.
    I'll try to reserve 45 minutes for the discussion.
    See you soon!
    Kathleen

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 09 Sep, 2014

    Hi Robin,
    Would you be willing to talk about the business model for your data repository at U Edinburgh for the meeting?
    Also, what are your ideas for specific tasks of the group? Can you share with me in advance?
    Best, Kathleen

  • Kathleen Shearer's picture

    Author: Kathleen Shearer

    Date: 09 Sep, 2014

    Hi Veerle,
    Are you still available to give a presentation about the case studies?
    I would like to put you on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting, and then have some individual case studies afterwards.
    Would 15 minutes be enough?
    Best, Kathleen

  • Veerle Van den Eynden's picture

    Author: Veerle Van den ...

    Date: 10 Sep, 2014

    Hi Kathleen,
    Yes I am available for a presentation at the session. 15 minutes is great.
    Please use as title "Incentives for sharing research data; Knowledge Exchange & UK Data Archive"
    Thanks, veerle
    On 9 Sep 2014, at 16:36, Kathleen Shearer wrote:
    Hi Veerle,
    Are you still available to give a presentation about the case studies?
    I would like to put you on the agenda at the beginning of the meeting, and then have some individual case studies afterwards.
    Would 15 minutes be enough?
    Best, Kathleen
    On 2014-09-02, at 12:05 PM, veerlevde <***@***.***> wrote:
    Hi Kathleen,
    We've just finished a study on "Incentives for sharing research data", for Knowledge Exchange; 5 case studies (research groups) in 5 European countries: http://www.data-archive.ac.uk/about/projects/incentive
    The report will be out in 2 weeks' time. I'm happy to report on that at the session.
    Regards, Veerle
    ___________________________________
    Dr Veerle Van den Eynden
    Manager Research Data Management Team
    ___________________________________
    T +44(0) 1206 872234
    E ***@***.***
    W ukdataservice.ac.uk
    ___________________________________
    UK Data Service
    UK Data Archive
    University of Essex
    New book: Corti, L., Van den Eynden, V., Bishop, L and Woollard, M. Managing and Sharing Research Data: A Guide to Good Practice. Sage Publications Ltd. http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/9781446267264
    ___________________________________
    Legal Disclaimer: Any views expressed by the sender of this message
    are not necessarily those of the UK Data Service or the UK Data Archive.
    This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for
    the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed.
    On 2 Sep 2014, at 17:09, Kathleen Shearer wrote:
    Hi all,
    We will be addressing two major themes at the next Long Tail for Research Data Interest Group meeting in Amsterdam (Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 2pm-5:30pm)
    1. The first half of the meeting will look environments that encourage deposit and use of repositories by the research community. This may involve policies, incentives, tools, etc.
    2. The second half of the meeting will involve a discussion about business models for long tail RDM services.
    I would like to leave 1/2 hour or so at the end of the meeting to talk about what work the Interest Group can undertake between the plenaries, and identify some realistic deliverables that could be achieved.
    For each of the two themes, I am looking for case studies to share during the meeting. We will try to choose case studies that reflect different approaches, without too much repetition. If you would like to contribute, please let me know.
    Meanwhile, I will identify some parameters to help standardize and compare the information, especially in terms of business models.
    As always, feel free to get in touch if you have comments or questions.
    All the best, Kathleen
    Kathleen Shearer
    Executive Director, COAR
    ***@***.***-repositories.org
    www.coar-repositories.org
    Skype: kathleen.shearer2
    +1 514 847 9068
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/long-tail-research-data-ig/post/long-t...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/44938
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/long-tail-research-data-ig/post/long-t...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/44938
    --
    Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/long-tail-research-data-ig/post/long-t...
    Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
    Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/44938

submit a comment