RE: [disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review

12 Jul 2017

Dear Claire,
Thanks for the comments.
I would see the work towards an disciplinary interoperability framework as task that is heavily predicated upon the work of the disciplinary collaboration group. It is also, however, a task that spans across many groups in RDA, but mainly outside RDA.
DCF can be driving force for this, working methodically and in a step-wise manner. I agree it should appear in the charter, so I will add this as part of the mission of DCF.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: Claire Austin [mailto:***@***.***]
Sent: 11 July 2017 11:43
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>
Cc: David Schade <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: [disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hello Dimitris, and all
Good job on the Charter.
"Collaboration Framework (DCF)" is a much broader than what would be implied by "Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF)," and I agree that it is necessary to lay down a DCF before diving into a DIF.
I notice that the term "interoperability" does not appear anywhere in the Charter. Is the current thinking that interoperability will eventually become one focus of the the DCF, or that there will be a recommendation further down the road for the creation of a separate DIF IG?
Best regards,
Claire
On 10 July 2017 at 12:00, dkoureas <***@***.***> wrote:
Dear all,
Many thanks to all who have sent comments for the IG charter. I have now incorporated them in the document (see attached).
If you have no further comments, and if David you also agree, I would like to submit this today or tomorrow the latest, so that the review process can start.
Also, those of you who are not group members, please do sign-up through on RDA site. It will be very helpful, so I do not have to manually add your e-mails every time we need to communicate on group issues.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
- Show quoted text -From: Dimitris Koureas
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:21
To: 'David Schade' <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: RE: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
That’s great! Thanks David
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: David Schade [mailto:***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca]
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:16
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hi Dimitris,
I'll volunteer to act as one of the co-chairs of the group.
David
On 2017-07-04 7:25 AM, Dimitris Koureas wrote:
Dear all,
I have now drafted a first version of the charter for the new group. You will notice that the name of the group has changed from Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF) to Disciplinary Collaboration Framework (DCF) (following comments received).
Please do go through the (short) charter. We still need to identify co-chairs, though I shall say we need to put this as an item at the P10 breakout session of the group.
So, I would also appreciate if you could volunteer yourselves to act an initial co-chair for the group.
I hope to be able to submit the charter for the IG before the end of next week!
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: d.koureas=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of dkoureas
Sent: 16 June 2017 15:08
To: ***@***.***-groups.org; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
Subject: [rda-wg-ig-chairs][disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] Invitation to discipline-specific IG/WG chairs to join new coordination group
To all co-chairs (especially from disciplinary groups)
Reference material:
Group page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/disciplinary-interoperability-framewo...
Short Report: https://www.rd-alliance.org/report-p9-bof-barcelona
Meeting:
Wednesday 21 June 14.00 UTC (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Dear all,
Some of you are already aware of an RDA community initiative to address some of the challenges related to the ever-increasing number of groups within the RDA ecosystem.
The enlargement of the RDA ecosystem creates new opportunities for interaction between practitioners from across scientific and technological domains. Examples of this interplay were previously seen at RDA plenaries, through joint sessions between discipline-specific and technologically-oriented groups.
During P9 in Barcelona we had already the first BoF, discussing the need, role and objectives of a coordination group that will improve the way scientific disciplines interact with RDA through their communities of practice.
Following some preparatory talks, in Barcelona we proposed the formulation of this coordination group, which will bring together representatives across disciplinary communities in an attempt to better organise and drive the discussion among them but also between disciplinary groups and cross-cutting Interest and Working Groups. Our overarching goal is to prioritise, harmonise and efficiently articulate communities’ needs in a way that will drive the work of other communities working with technical and socio-cultural issues.
At the meeting the participants identified and prioritised objectives as Quick-wins, long-runs and good-to-haves.
The high-level objectives of the group would be to:
• Contribute to the development of information material for communities of practice;
• Assess and prioritise disciplinary needs for research data curation and sharing;
• Introduce RDA technical outputs to discipline representatives and collate feedback;
• Liaise between disciplinary groups, improving collaboration and experience exchange;
• Perform a disciplinary RDA landscape and gap analyses;
• Organise the collation of material and interact with RDA disciplinary ambassadors.
It is pivotal that all disciplinary Interest groups (approx. 20) become members of this group and together form the much needed focal point for our disciplinary-related RDA activities. We also invite chairs of cross-cutting groups to join as well.
In view of the deadline for breakout sessions we will be having a web conference to identify the agenda items of the disciplinary groups co-chairs session on Wednesday 21 June at 14.00 UTC (10.00 ET, 15.00 BST, 16.00 CEST)
Please join the meeting through the following link (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Dept Life Sciences | Natural History Museum London | SW7 5BD, UK
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo) initiative
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards (TDWG)
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487 | Linkedin: uk.linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
E-mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @DimitrisKoureas | Tel: +44 (0) 207 942 5244
--
Dr. David Schade
Scientist and Group Leader
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Science Infrastructure
National Research Council Canada
Attached files:
DCF_charter_draft_v170710-3.docx
--
Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/disciplinary-interoperability-framewor...
Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/56941
Dear Claire,
Thanks for the comments.
I would see the work towards an disciplinary interoperability framework as task that is heavily predicated upon the work of the disciplinary collaboration group. It is also, however, a task that spans across many groups in RDA, but mainly outside RDA.
DCF can be driving force for this, working methodically and in a step-wise manner. I agree it should appear in the charter, so I will add this as part of the mission of DCF.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: Claire Austin [mailto:***@***.***]
Sent: 11 July 2017 11:43
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>
Cc: David Schade <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: [disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hello Dimitris, and all
Good job on the Charter.
"Collaboration Framework (DCF)" is a much broader than what would be implied by "Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF)," and I agree that it is necessary to lay down a DCF before diving into a DIF.
I notice that the term "interoperability" does not appear anywhere in the Charter. Is the current thinking that interoperability will eventually become one focus of the the DCF, or that there will be a recommendation further down the road for the creation of a separate DIF IG?
Best regards,
Claire
On 10 July 2017 at 12:00, dkoureas <***@***.***> wrote:
Dear all,
Many thanks to all who have sent comments for the IG charter. I have now incorporated them in the document (see attached).
If you have no further comments, and if David you also agree, I would like to submit this today or tomorrow the latest, so that the review process can start.
Also, those of you who are not group members, please do sign-up through on RDA site. It will be very helpful, so I do not have to manually add your e-mails every time we need to communicate on group issues.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: Dimitris Koureas
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:21
To: 'David Schade' <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: RE: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
That’s great! Thanks David
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
- Show quoted text -From: David Schade [mailto:***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca]
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:16
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hi Dimitris,
I'll volunteer to act as one of the co-chairs of the group.
David
On 2017-07-04 7:25 AM, Dimitris Koureas wrote:
Dear all,
I have now drafted a first version of the charter for the new group. You will notice that the name of the group has changed from Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF) to Disciplinary Collaboration Framework (DCF) (following comments received).
Please do go through the (short) charter. We still need to identify co-chairs, though I shall say we need to put this as an item at the P10 breakout session of the group.
So, I would also appreciate if you could volunteer yourselves to act an initial co-chair for the group.
I hope to be able to submit the charter for the IG before the end of next week!
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: d.koureas=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of dkoureas
Sent: 16 June 2017 15:08
To: ***@***.***-groups.org; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
Subject: [rda-wg-ig-chairs][disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] Invitation to discipline-specific IG/WG chairs to join new coordination group
To all co-chairs (especially from disciplinary groups)
Reference material:
Group page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/disciplinary-interoperability-framewo...
Short Report: https://www.rd-alliance.org/report-p9-bof-barcelona
Meeting:
Wednesday 21 June 14.00 UTC (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Dear all,
Some of you are already aware of an RDA community initiative to address some of the challenges related to the ever-increasing number of groups within the RDA ecosystem.
The enlargement of the RDA ecosystem creates new opportunities for interaction between practitioners from across scientific and technological domains. Examples of this interplay were previously seen at RDA plenaries, through joint sessions between discipline-specific and technologically-oriented groups.
During P9 in Barcelona we had already the first BoF, discussing the need, role and objectives of a coordination group that will improve the way scientific disciplines interact with RDA through their communities of practice.
Following some preparatory talks, in Barcelona we proposed the formulation of this coordination group, which will bring together representatives across disciplinary communities in an attempt to better organise and drive the discussion among them but also between disciplinary groups and cross-cutting Interest and Working Groups. Our overarching goal is to prioritise, harmonise and efficiently articulate communities’ needs in a way that will drive the work of other communities working with technical and socio-cultural issues.
At the meeting the participants identified and prioritised objectives as Quick-wins, long-runs and good-to-haves.
The high-level objectives of the group would be to:
• Contribute to the development of information material for communities of practice;
• Assess and prioritise disciplinary needs for research data curation and sharing;
• Introduce RDA technical outputs to discipline representatives and collate feedback;
• Liaise between disciplinary groups, improving collaboration and experience exchange;
• Perform a disciplinary RDA landscape and gap analyses;
• Organise the collation of material and interact with RDA disciplinary ambassadors.
It is pivotal that all disciplinary Interest groups (approx. 20) become members of this group and together form the much needed focal point for our disciplinary-related RDA activities. We also invite chairs of cross-cutting groups to join as well.
In view of the deadline for breakout sessions we will be having a web conference to identify the agenda items of the disciplinary groups co-chairs session on Wednesday 21 June at 14.00 UTC (10.00 ET, 15.00 BST, 16.00 CEST)
Please join the meeting through the following link (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Dept Life Sciences | Natural History Museum London | SW7 5BD, UK
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo) initiative
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards (TDWG)
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487 | Linkedin: uk.linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
E-mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @DimitrisKoureas | Tel: +44 (0) 207 942 5244
--
Dr. David Schade
Scientist and Group Leader
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Science Infrastructure
National Research Council Canada
Attached files:
DCF_charter_draft_v170710-3.docx
--
Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/disciplinary-interoperability-framewor...
Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/56941
Dear Claire,
Thanks for the comments.
I would see the work towards an disciplinary interoperability framework as task that is heavily predicated upon the work of the disciplinary collaboration group. It is also, however, a task that spans across many groups in RDA, but mainly outside RDA.
DCF can be driving force for this, working methodically and in a step-wise manner. I agree it should appear in the charter, so I will add this as part of the mission of DCF.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: Claire Austin [mailto:***@***.***]
Sent: 11 July 2017 11:43
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>
Cc: David Schade <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: [disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hello Dimitris, and all
Good job on the Charter.
"Collaboration Framework (DCF)" is a much broader than what would be implied by "Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF)," and I agree that it is necessary to lay down a DCF before diving into a DIF.
I notice that the term "interoperability" does not appear anywhere in the Charter. Is the current thinking that interoperability will eventually become one focus of the the DCF, or that there will be a recommendation further down the road for the creation of a separate DIF IG?
Best regards,
Claire
On 10 July 2017 at 12:00, dkoureas <***@***.***> wrote:
Dear all,
Many thanks to all who have sent comments for the IG charter. I have now incorporated them in the document (see attached).
If you have no further comments, and if David you also agree, I would like to submit this today or tomorrow the latest, so that the review process can start.
Also, those of you who are not group members, please do sign-up through on RDA site. It will be very helpful, so I do not have to manually add your e-mails every time we need to communicate on group issues.
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: Dimitris Koureas
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:21
To: 'David Schade' <***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: RE: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
That’s great! Thanks David
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
From: David Schade [mailto:***@***.***-cnrc.gc.ca]
Sent: 04 July 2017 16:16
To: Dimitris Koureas <***@***.***>; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>; Stotzka, Rainer (IPE) <***@***.***>; Bridget Almas <***@***.***>; Ian Bruno <***@***.***>; ***@***.***; Richard Kidd <***@***.***>; Martin G. Hicks <***@***.***-institut.de>; Wenbo Chu <***@***.***>
Subject: Re: DCF (was DIF) charter ready for internal review
Hi Dimitris,
I'll volunteer to act as one of the co-chairs of the group.
David
On 2017-07-04 7:25 AM, Dimitris Koureas wrote:
Dear all,
I have now drafted a first version of the charter for the new group. You will notice that the name of the group has changed from Disciplinary Interoperability Framework (DIF) to Disciplinary Collaboration Framework (DCF) (following comments received).
Please do go through the (short) charter. We still need to identify co-chairs, though I shall say we need to put this as an item at the P10 breakout session of the group.
So, I would also appreciate if you could volunteer yourselves to act an initial co-chair for the group.
I hope to be able to submit the charter for the IG before the end of next week!
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Natural History Museum London
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo)
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards Organisation - TDWG
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487
@DimitrisKoureas | +44 (0) 207 942 5244 | linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
- Show quoted text -From: d.koureas=***@***.***-groups.org [mailto:***@***.***-groups.org] On Behalf Of dkoureas
Sent: 16 June 2017 15:08
To: ***@***.***-groups.org; Disciplinary Interoperability Framework IG <***@***.***-groups.org>
Subject: [rda-wg-ig-chairs][disciplinary-interoperability-framework-ig] Invitation to discipline-specific IG/WG chairs to join new coordination group
To all co-chairs (especially from disciplinary groups)
Reference material:
Group page: https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/disciplinary-interoperability-framewo...
Short Report: https://www.rd-alliance.org/report-p9-bof-barcelona
Meeting:
Wednesday 21 June 14.00 UTC (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Dear all,
Some of you are already aware of an RDA community initiative to address some of the challenges related to the ever-increasing number of groups within the RDA ecosystem.
The enlargement of the RDA ecosystem creates new opportunities for interaction between practitioners from across scientific and technological domains. Examples of this interplay were previously seen at RDA plenaries, through joint sessions between discipline-specific and technologically-oriented groups.
During P9 in Barcelona we had already the first BoF, discussing the need, role and objectives of a coordination group that will improve the way scientific disciplines interact with RDA through their communities of practice.
Following some preparatory talks, in Barcelona we proposed the formulation of this coordination group, which will bring together representatives across disciplinary communities in an attempt to better organise and drive the discussion among them but also between disciplinary groups and cross-cutting Interest and Working Groups. Our overarching goal is to prioritise, harmonise and efficiently articulate communities’ needs in a way that will drive the work of other communities working with technical and socio-cultural issues.
At the meeting the participants identified and prioritised objectives as Quick-wins, long-runs and good-to-haves.
The high-level objectives of the group would be to:
• Contribute to the development of information material for communities of practice;
• Assess and prioritise disciplinary needs for research data curation and sharing;
• Introduce RDA technical outputs to discipline representatives and collate feedback;
• Liaise between disciplinary groups, improving collaboration and experience exchange;
• Perform a disciplinary RDA landscape and gap analyses;
• Organise the collation of material and interact with RDA disciplinary ambassadors.
It is pivotal that all disciplinary Interest groups (approx. 20) become members of this group and together form the much needed focal point for our disciplinary-related RDA activities. We also invite chairs of cross-cutting groups to join as well.
In view of the deadline for breakout sessions we will be having a web conference to identify the agenda items of the disciplinary groups co-chairs session on Wednesday 21 June at 14.00 UTC (10.00 ET, 15.00 BST, 16.00 CEST)
Please join the meeting through the following link (WebEx)
https://meetings.webex.com/collabs/#/meetings/detail?uuid=M89B8NASMZVJQG...
Kind regards,
Dimitris
#End
--
Dr Dimitrios Koureas, FLS
Lead, Research Data & Partnerships
Dept Life Sciences | Natural History Museum London | SW7 5BD, UK
Coordinator, Distributed System of Scientific Collections (DiSSCo) initiative
Chair, Biodiversity Information Standards (TDWG)
co-Chair, RDA – Biodiversity Data Integration IG & Attribution metadata WG
ORCID: 0000-0002-4842-6487 | Linkedin: uk.linkedin.com/in/dkoureas
E-mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @DimitrisKoureas | Tel: +44 (0) 207 942 5244
--
Dr. David Schade
Scientist and Group Leader
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
National Science Infrastructure
National Research Council Canada
Attached files:
DCF_charter_draft_v170710-3.docx
--
Full post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/disciplinary-interoperability-framewor...
Manage my subscriptions: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist
Stop emails for this post: https://www.rd-alliance.org/mailinglist/unsubscribe/56941

  • Simon Hodson's picture

    Author: Simon Hodson

    Date: 12 Jul, 2017

    Dear Dimitris, Claire, all;
    Thanks for this exchange and apologies for coming late to the discussion. I had intended to make an observation which is also presented here in Dimitris’s reply and which I feel identifies something missing from the draft charter:
    Dear Dimitris, Claire, all;
    Thanks for this exchange and apologies for coming late to the discussion. I had intended to make an observation which is also presented here in Dimitris’s reply and which I feel identifies something missing from the draft charter:
    > It is also, however, a task that spans across many groups in RDA, but mainly outside RDA.
    I would suggest that some mention be made that as well as the RDA facing activities that are listed in the mission statements and quick wins the IG will encourage substantive links with discipline-based initiatives and with other trans-dsiplinary interoperability initiatives outside RDA. In terms of the latter, I am of course thinking of CODATA activities http://wiki.codata.org/First_Inter-Union_Workshop_on_Data_Standards:_Dev... (in which Dimitris participated) but there are others.
    With very best wishes,
    Simon.
    ___________________________
    CODATA 2017 International Conference, ‘Global Challenges and Data-Driven Research’, Saint-Petersburg, 8-13 October, submit proposals for sessions and papers, deadline 28 July: http://conference.codata.org/2017/
    What has CODATA delivered recently? See the CODATA Prospectus: Strategy and Achievement, 2015-2016 https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.165830
    ___________________________
    Dr Simon Hodson | Executive Director CODATA | http://www.codata.org
    E-Mail: ***@***.*** | Twitter: @simonhodson99 | Skype: simonhodson99
    Tel (Office): +33 1 45 25 04 96 | Tel (Cell): +33 6 86 30 42 59
    CODATA (Committee on Data of the International Council for Science), 5 rue Auguste Vacquerie, 75016 Paris, FRANCE

submit a comment