Call for Nominations for the RDA Technical Advisory Board (TAB) 2022
RDA is seeking candidates for the annual TAB election, to be held in December 2022. TAB Terms are for three (3) years. We encourage participation from RDA members at all stages of their careers. Please note that current members of RDA’s Council, Secretariat, Regional Advisory Board and Organizational Advisory Board are not eligible for TAB membership.
Nominations will be accepted until 23:59 UTC on 14 November 2022. See below for more detail.
Nominations will be accepted until 23:59 UTC on 30 November 2022 (deadline extended). See below for more detail.
What does TAB do?
TAB is responsible for the technical direction of the RDA and provides technical expertise and advice to the Council, as well as helping to develop and review RDA Working and Interest Groups and Communities of Practice to promote their impact and effectiveness. Among other tasks, TAB Members:
- engage with the RDA membership and feed their ideas and TAB perspectives into RDA processes and strategies;
- evaluate proposed Communities of Practice (CoP), Working Groups and Interest Groups;
- act as liaisons to endorsed Communities of Practice (CoP), Working and Interest Groups;
- facilitate relevant communication and coordination across the various CoPs, WGs and IGs;
- work with RDA Working Groups to promote adoption and effectiveness of their Outputs; and
- provide strategic insight into the current and future direction of RDA, and each member’s own strengths are drawn upon regularly.
Much more information is available in the document TAB: What we do and how we do it on the RDA Web site.
Why are we looking for new TAB Members?
RDA conducts TAB elections on a yearly basis, coinciding with the year's even-numbered Plenary. At these times, a set of TAB members rotates off after their 3-year-terms come to an end.
Five of the RDA TAB members’ terms are ending in 2022. Three of the five TAB members stepping down may run again for a further three year term. In addition we are seeking a sixth member to stand for a two year term.
- 1 Europe / Africa seat open for a 2 year term (2022-2024)
- 2 Europe / Africa seats open for a 3 year term (2022 - 2025)
- 2 Asia / Oceania seats open for a 3 year term (2022 - 2025)
- 1 Americas seat open for a 3 year term (2022 - 2025)
Who does TAB need?
There are balance criteria to ensure that disciplines and regions are adequately represented. The Regional criterion is no more than 6 but no fewer than 3 TAB members from each of:
- North America and South America
- Europe and Africa
- Asia and Oceania
The additional criterion of Discipline is applied to achieve a sufficient breadth of expertise. The Discipline criterion is based on the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) classification (see https://www.oecd.org/science/inno/38235147.pdf for the sub-classifications under each category).
The major categories are:
- Natural sciences
- Engineering and technology
- Medical and health sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Social sciences
No more than 5 TAB members can be from any of the listed disciplines. There is no minimum number of TAB members required per discipline.
A more complete description of the entire TAB Election Process and application of the balancing criteria is available via the TAB RDA page, https://rd-alliance.org/about-rda/our-leadership/rda-technical-advisory-board.html.
Interested? Here’s how to apply!
- Any current RDA member may self-nominate or be nominated by others.
- Not sure if you are an RDA member? Do you have an account on our website (rd-alliance.org)? Yes? Then you’re a member! If not, sign up now!
- Know someone who would be perfect for the role? Encourage them to apply!
- To apply, please fill in the candidacy form at https://www.rd-alliance.org/tab-elections-2022-nominations-submission
- Each candidate must have a minimum of three (3) RDA members willing to second their nomination. Seconders must send a simple one-sentence statement to the RDA Secretariat (email@example.com) stating that they support the nomination of the candidate.
- Applications and seconds are due by 23:59 UTC on
14 November 2022 30 November 2022.
- For each candidate with a complete nomination package, i.e., completed candidacy form and supporting statements from 3 seconders, their statement and photo will be posted on the RDA website. Note that the seconders will not be posted.
- Elections will open on 19 December 2022 and close on 11 January 2023 (three weeks later). All RDA members are strongly encouraged to vote.
Still have unanswered questions?
Current TAB members will be happy to discuss the time commitments, working procedures, and other elements of TAB membership. Find a list of current and past TAB members here: https://rd-alliance.org/about-rda/our-leadership/rda-technical-advisory-board.html
Additional information is available from the RDA Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.